PDA

View Full Version : Boar Hair Brushes?

shadybreal
01-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Who uses them? Who likes them? Any information or opinion would be greatly appreicated. Thanks!

CharlesW
01-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Who uses them? Who likes them? Any information or opinion would be greatly appreicated. Thanks!
This thread hasn`t stirred much in the way of replies and I think the subject might be worth persuing.
Just some of my thoughts and comments.
1. I have never used a brush on my paint and would have some reservations about it.
2. I do have a Meguiar`s body wash brush that I use on a fiberglass boat that is so soft to the touch that it`s hard to imagine it would damage paint.
3. When I had access to the wash bay of an Enterprise Car Rental facility, they used boar`s hair brushes with Car-Brite products and their vehicles didn`t show as much marring as many of the vehicles I see daily. One interesting thing about the Enterprise process, they didn`t do any drying after the wash other than using a water blade on the windows. The sales staff washed cars in their suits using the brush on a long handle. Then they drip dried.
4. Several people that use them have posted in the past about liking them.
5. Most of the people that speak negatively about the boar`s hair brush have never used one.

I do use a Meguiar`s wheel face brush on my wheels with both bucket washes and with Poorboy`s S&W. Since my wheels are clearcoated, I guess I`m not totally against using brushes on paint. :D

Charles

shadybreal
01-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I used one a four door dark brown F150 the other day to see if it left any marring. I did the back passenger door w/ the BHB and the front passenger door w/ my shmitt. I could tell any difference w/ the sun shining on both doors. I agree that a lot of marring probably comes from drying. I too use a Cali blade to get off the majority of water, but then I spray the entire vehicle w/ a QD (either Meg Final touch or ONR) and then dry w/ WW. Seems to be okay so far, and really saves a ton of time. I tend to be a little cautious on darker colored vehicles.

Beemerboy
01-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I have a few BH brushes and like them allot I use them mainly for wax removal around door handles, emblems and that type of stuff. I do find that they will leave small very, very fine scratches in the finish, but you have to be in certain light to see this. One thing that I tried that works for me is to spray some QD or S&W on the brush then use on the handles or emblems. It helps greatly to take the product off with out having to use much pressure thus reducing the level of scratches that I incur.

I haven’t found a brush for the car that I like any better than BH, I am looking now at some foam styled ones in the efforts that I can accomplish the same thing with them

Jen@autogeek
01-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I have a boar`s hair brush, but I use it only for interior detailing. I like it alot though and use it every time. :)

shadybreal
01-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Which one do you use for your interior cleaning?

JohnZ3MC
01-30-2007, 06:02 PM
I have a few methods of washing and tend to vacillate quite a bit, but one method involves a foam gun and a BHB. I think I must be a gizmo kind of guy.

With the right BHB, and they`re not all created equally, and proper technique, it`s a very effective way to wash and swirls don`t seem to be a concern.
Again, a special technique is needed for a perfect BHB experience.
-John C.

Spilchy
01-30-2007, 06:36 PM
I have a few methods of washing and tend to vacillate quite a bit, but one method involves a foam gun and a BHB. I think I must be a gizmo kind of guy.

With the right BHB, and they`re not all created equally, and proper technique, it`s a very effective way to wash and swirls don`t seem to be a concern.
Again, a special technique is needed for a perfect BHB experience.
-John C.

Well said. Also, you don`t need a lot of pressure when washing. Just a light whisking over the surface. It holds nice in your hand enabling you to accurately control and maneuver it. They hold tons of wash solution and when used simultaneously with a foam gun, there is a constant flushing of the surface with the dirt running off.

When wet the bristles are super soft an rinse really, really well. I swiped mine when wet with car wash solution over a CD and it passed the scratch test. Once I did this I felt safe to use it along with my technique.

I don`t use it often as I find it a little more cumbersome washing with tools in both hands. But it is still fun to use. I can probably try it without the foam gun at the same time.

I got mine from AG.

I also use mini ones for the interior like a few of you. Super soft and great to wipe away dirt. I got those from Griots.

I also use the boars hair wheel brush from Griots. It is nice and soft and I`ve used it on a couple of show cars but I don`t use it often since many wheels are too filthy for it in my opinion. I believe it doesn`t have enough "bite" and when used with a strong wheel cleaner, may damage it. It works well with P21s wheel cleaner. But if you want *the* softest wheel brush, try the Griot`s one. It is not expensive. I think you`ll find it the most delicate wheel brush you`ve used; perfect for your car`s wheels which aren`t caked with crud.

PhaRO
01-31-2007, 06:54 PM
I bought a boars hair wheel brush from AG a few months ago. I use it with ONR to clean wheels and tires on almost every car. It`s cleaned around 200 sets of wheels/tires so far. If it has worn any, I can`t tell. My regular wheel brush would get worn out pretty fast progressively getting shorter and shorter. They are very durable and exceptionally soft. I can`t say whether one would scratch or not as I haven`t used it as a wash brush. I`d be surprised if it did scratch.

Spilchy
01-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Sounds good. I was a bit nervous given the delicate feel of the bristles to use it so frequently on wheels. I know how I chew up my other wheel brushes over time.

I guess I`ll start using it a bit more.

Jen@autogeek
01-31-2007, 08:20 PM
Which one do you use for your interior cleaning?

It`s like a paint brush, but the bristles are really soft. I use it to sweep dirt that`s in hard to reach places out so I can vacuum. It`s also great for air conditioner vents. :)