PDA

View Full Version : rubber gloves

Jngrbrdman
01-26-2007, 03:00 PM
I don`t think that I`ll ever detail another car without wearing rubber gloves. Last year I used them for everything and I loved it. If for no other reason than the fact that I have a day job where I don`t really want crud under my fingernails from last night`s detail. Anyway, I`m just wondering what you guys use for rubber gloves? I`ve been buying them by the box at Home Despot, but sometimes I`ll go through four or five gloves on a detail. I`m just looking for the most economical way of protecting my hands, but also still having function. If possible I`d like to get a pair of gloves that give me the functionality of thin rubber gloves, but just more durability. Any suggestions, or are the boxes of gloves my only choice? I go through probably 30 - 40 pairs a month and I`d like to cut that down significantly.

Wetwerks
01-26-2007, 03:06 PM
we use either the powder free latex, or the nitrile gloves (usually blue). We get them at medical supply stores and usually run from $4-10 for a box of 100.

Walter
Co-owner

Beemerboy
01-26-2007, 03:54 PM
we use either the powder free latex, or the nitrile gloves (usually blue). We get them at medical supply stores and usually run from $4-10 for a box of 100.

Walter
Co-owner

This was what I was going to suggest the blue ones are the ones I use, but only for washing.

I find that in summer I can`t wear gloves while working on the car, in or out...My hands sweat like crazy and they slip all over.

Also I just feel like they are moving around on my hands to much and I loose grip on pads and whatever I am holding.

MF towels grab the heck out of them as well...IMO

Wetwerks
01-26-2007, 04:08 PM
This was what I was going to suggest the blue ones are the ones I use, but only for washing.

I find that in summer I can`t wear gloves while working on the car, in or out...My hands sweat like crazy and they slip all over.

Also I just feel like they are moving around on my hands to much and I loose grip on pads and whatever I am holding.

MF towels grab the heck out of them as well...IMO

I hear you about hand sweating....the Texas sun has no mercy. I have worked at many semiconductor companies here in Austin, (Motorola, Samsung, Applied Materials). In the fabs you have to stay gowned up and we had cotton gloves we wore under our TWO layers of latex gloves to absorb the sweat. Funny thing is your hands felt cooler and dryer due to the wicking effect of the inserts. They worked really well. Might want to give those a try.

Walter
Co-owner

Jngrbrdman
01-26-2007, 04:47 PM
LOL Yeah, my hands do sweat in them a bit too. The funny thing is the tan line. I`ll go to work after a weekend full of detailing and I`ll have white hands with tan or sunburned arms. It`s pretty funny looking. lol

Jen@autogeek
01-26-2007, 04:55 PM
LOL Yeah, my hands do sweat in them a bit too. The funny thing is the tan line. I`ll go to work after a weekend full of detailing and I`ll have white hands with tan or sunburned arms. It`s pretty funny looking. lol

I can picture that. LOL :)

Poorboy
01-26-2007, 05:53 PM
I`d rather not use gloves so I can feel the finish :) A good nail brush will clean your finger nails and hands well :rockon

Tex Star Detail
01-26-2007, 08:22 PM
I use rubbers........

LOL
Only on the inside though. I pick up Nitrile gloves. I needed them today on the truck I did........Vomit.......yuck

audiboy
01-27-2007, 12:34 AM
If you`re concerned with your hands, I`d think that nitrile gloves would be the way to go. I`m an aircraft mechanic that works on 80ish C-130`s ranging from 46 years old to 2 years old so you can probably imagine what my hands look like. We have nitrile gloves available, but I rarely wear them because I lose feel for what I`m working with. I`ll only wear them when I`m digging into some really toxic materials. They work great when I chose to use them.

PhaRO
01-27-2007, 03:41 AM
In the winter I use some neoprene gloves if my hands are getting too cold. Usually only happens if the wind is blowing a lot as I use heated water so hands stay pretty warm. If my hands start drying out too bad in the winter, I`ll wear Nitrile gloves. I reuse them until they get a hole. Sometimes I`ll get a couple washes done with one pair. Other times they won`t make it through a single wash. I use the purple ones from Walmart. I will also wear them if I get too many cuts or splits around my cuticles. When I wear them often my hands look and feel much better. In the summer time though they can look funny when my arms tan darker than my hands lol

Jngrbrdman
01-31-2007, 07:49 PM
I was at a trade show today and there was a 3M/Kimberly Clark booth set up. The guy gave me a pair of KleenGuard nitrile gloves that seem like they are going to work out great. He also gave me a couple pairs of thinner nitrile gloves that seem much tougher than the latex gloves I`ve been buying from home depot. Thanks for the recomendations! I think these are going to work out wonderfully!