PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation - Please Help

AC15
01-21-2007, 01:42 AM
I`m a newbie when it comes to detailing cars so I need a reasonable solution to my oxidation problem.

Is there anything I can do given my limited abilities and lack of tools?
Should any detailer be able to fix this?
Should I just repaint my car?

I have used Meguairs ColorX, which I doubt will help here.

thnks

steveo3002
01-21-2007, 05:27 AM
im pretty sure thats clearcoat failiure, nothing can be done if it is except a repaint

Poorboy
01-21-2007, 07:41 AM
I agree :( that`s beyond repair :mad:

joe.p
01-21-2007, 08:54 AM
what would cause the CC to fail like that..

Poorboy
01-21-2007, 08:56 AM
what would cause the CC to fail like that..

from the shape of it, if i had to guess....a very potent bird bomb not removed:eek:

joe.p
01-21-2007, 10:52 AM
well that would be messy to remove :stick

AC15
01-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for your responses.

If it cannot be fixed short of a repaint, what products can I apply to it to keep it from getting worse? Or to keep the rest of the car in good shape?

CharlesW
01-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Should I just repaint my car?
While at least some paintwork would be necessary, you can probably have the area shown painted/blended and the entire panel clear coated afterwards.
Stop by a good bodyshop and they can explain the process and give you an estimate. Since it looks like the roof, it won`t be cheap. They will have a big area to paint.

Charles

Poorboy
01-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks for your responses.

If it cannot be fixed short of a repaint, what products can I apply to it to keep it from getting worse? Or to keep the rest of the car in good shape?

You basically need to clean the paint ... clay , polish ...then use either a wax or sealant or both ....choices are numerous and everyone will have their own favorite combinations. It also will depend on whether you are working by hand or machine as to which products you choose as well as if you want to do mail order or OTC ...good luck :)