PDA

View Full Version : My opinion has changed.

Pages : [1] 2 3

rabbi
01-10-2007, 12:28 AM
When I first got into car detailing I liked the bright,shiney,wet look of tires. Then one day I decided I like the natural look of the tire better. Has anyone else changed their likes or dislikes from when they first started detailing?

Troy@Protekt
01-10-2007, 12:44 AM
When I first got into car detailing I liked the bright,shiney,wet look of tires. Then one day I decided I like the natural look of the tire better. Has anyone else changed their likes or dislikes from when they first started detailing?

I have changed my mind as well over the years. The natural look not only looks better to me now, it also solves the "sling" problem that I used to have with shiney tires.

Troy

CalgaryDetail
01-10-2007, 12:47 AM
I have changed my mind on soaps. When i started i wanted bubbles bubbles and moe bubbles. Now i look for slickness over suds, i think its just an education thing but over the past year and a bit Ii have changed my mind

rabbi
01-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Yes Troy! It does solve the sling problem.
Calgary,I still love suds.

The Chee
01-10-2007, 05:06 AM
I used to like those umm oily,shiney tire dressing, now I`m loving those natural look as well - mothers reflection/z16.
Durability used to be the main factor of choosing a wax/sealant, now as long as it looks reallllyyyy good, I heck care if it only lasts a month since I`ll be washing and waxing every 3 weeks anyway....(if i could stand that long):smile

steveo3002
01-10-2007, 05:42 AM
before i got into detailing i went for slick everything , dash board, tires, trimes etc

now i just prefer a natural new look

Bellydawg
01-10-2007, 09:07 AM
I completely agree with the natural look versus slick. I also have changed from using dishwater soap to product designed for vehicles. Actually finding this site has caused me to completely rethink car care.

audiboy
01-10-2007, 09:14 AM
I used to like the shiney look for tires as well. A nice matte natural finish is the only way for me now.

RTexasF
01-10-2007, 09:18 AM
The flat black on the tires also appeals more to me now.....for our cars. When I`m doing someone else`s car I give them a choice and 9 out of 10 want super shine.

budman3
01-10-2007, 09:52 AM
I like a nice deep black look. A little shine is nice but nothing major. I use Megs Hot Shine and it is a tad on the shiney side at the beginning but from 1 week onto a month or two it has that deep black.

CharlesW
01-10-2007, 10:05 AM
IMO, paint should be shiny, tires should not.
Right now, I`m using PB`s B&B and it is giving me the look I want and seems to have some staying power. I have also been happy with the look of 303, but it didn`t seem to last as long as the B&B.
The tire shop where I buy all my tires uses tire shine when they rotate or install new tires. My customer profile there has No Tire Shne in big letters.:)

Charles

crobinso
01-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Wow I am definitely in the minority here. I like the shiny look of tires that the tire products offer - I always have.

What I did NOT like, still do NOT like, and never WILL like, is the messy application (which leaves a slippery, asphalt-damaging surface) or the sling (which you all have mentioned) or the fact that the first puddle you go through, or the first rain shower, will wash the product off.

In another thread on this board, someone asked about the best tire dressing to use. One guy mentioned Meg`s "Endurance". I went to one of DC`s sponsor`s online store, looked over the product, and decided to order a bottle. It`s on its way now to my home.

Endurance is a wo/wo product that claims to not sling all over your car. It also claims to last a little while (my words). We shall see... NO claim was made, if I recall correctly, about the messy residue issue on the pavement.

I feel that if you`re going to go through all of the trouble to have the rest of the car`s exterior surfaces shine (the paint, the windows, the chrome if any, the wheels, the lights), then why the heck not the tires as well? I only wish one could shine the treads as well! LOL

Charles

jaybs02
01-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I like it to have a rich dark look, call it matte, or dull or something in between.

I have been happy with BnB and WG black diamond. I find myself liking the gels because I apply my dressing with a tire swipe so I can work it into the rubber.

I need to try the meg`s gel I hear that it is available in a high and low gloss.

"J"

dr_detail
01-10-2007, 11:50 AM
24 out of 25 of my weekly clients prefer a clean, dressed, but not shiny look on their tires. To achieve this, I`ve been using Mark V Quick Dress diluted 1:1 applied with a sponge for all but that one vehicle; on his I`ll spray it on full strength right after the final rinse (before I dry the vehicle) and let it sit. Then I follow up with a damp sponge, after all other processes are completed, as the last step thereby eliminating 99% of the sling.

Kelso
01-10-2007, 12:02 PM
i like the shiny look, i feel like if you have undressed tires on a fully detailed and shining cars, it stands out and takes away from the overall look.opinions opinions