PDA

View Full Version : When is a gallon not a gallon??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

jlift
01-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Hope this is the right forum for this. Anyway, just received an order from Chemical Guys which had three gallons of product in separate one gallon plastic clear jugs. I have ordered previously products in these clear gallon plastic jugs. If you go to their website, all of their products in gallon quantity are in these same clear jugs. I noticed that the fill line on the products that I received were not quite all the way to the top of the gallon jug (but it does seems that they were filled all exactly to the same height, about two inches below the cap). So, I took a measuring cup and very carefully filled an empty gallon jug with exactly one gallon of water (16 cups). The fill line after measuring the water was all the way to be bottom of the cap. I carefully poured out some water in the jug that I had just filled, in order to replicate the fill line of the new products that I had received, and determined that the new products were all 8 ounces short of one liquid gallon (i.e., they were all 15 cups). Now, I know one gallon = 128 ounces or 16 cups. But, I am confused as to why the products I received (all three gallons) were only filled to where 15 cups would make the fill line. Can anyone explain this seeming "shorting" of product? I hope I have tried to explain this clearly.

:confused:

cwcad
01-05-2007, 01:15 PM
The only thing that I can figure out is that the product is sold by weight instead of volume. Could the product that you are comparing to have a heavier weight? For example, water is approximately 8 pounds per gallon and gasoline is approximately 6 pounds per gallon

Beemerboy
01-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Hope this is the right forum for this. Anyway, just received an order from Chemical Guys which had three gallons of product in separate one gallon plastic clear jugs. I have ordered previously products in these clear gallon plastic jugs. If you go to their website, all of their products in gallon quantity are in these same clear jugs. I noticed that the fill line on the products that I received were not quite all the way to the top of the gallon jug (but it does seems that they were filled all exactly to the same height, about two inches below the cap). So, I took a measuring cup and very carefully filled an empty gallon jug with exactly one gallon of water (16 cups). The fill line after measuring the water was all the way to be bottom of the cap. I carefully poured out some water in the jug that I had just filled, in order to replicate the fill line of the new products that I had received, and determined that the new products were all 8 ounces short of one liquid gallon (i.e., they were all 15 cups). Now, I know one gallon = 128 ounces or 16 cups. But, I am confused as to why the products I received (all three gallons) were only filled to where 15 cups would make the fill line. Can anyone explain this seeming "shorting" of product? I hope I have tried to explain this clearly.

:confused:

I wonder if there machine is filling this based on weight of a gallon not volume, and you explained this very well. I`ll be watching this to see what others are saying

DFTowel
01-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Have you contacted Chemical Guys and asked them? Seems to me that is the place to ask before posing the question here. The answer may be very logical and you avoid putting doubts in people`s minds about someone`s product.

IMO the right way to do it is to cantact them and get an answer. Then, if you`re not happy with it or feel there is something wrong that people need to know about then publicize it. Conjecture at this point does no good.

JaredPointer
01-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I would suggest calling them up as well. Like most of the other vendors I have dealt with online or over the phone, they have good customer service.

Big Leegr
01-05-2007, 04:06 PM
More conjecture-maybe it`s so there`s room so you can shake the product? ;)

jlift
01-05-2007, 04:15 PM
I have got an email in to chemical guys. I will post when answered. I don`t think that it would be there to shake the product because I would think that even if it was a full gallon (16 cups) it should have the xtra space for shaking. It also seems that alot of food products are shrinking...used to be 16 ounce cans of food, now if you notice it`s 15 ounces. Used to be 64 ounces in a half gallon of ice cream, now for some reason, they decided to eliminate 8 ounces and sell 56 ounces for the same price as half gallons. You can see this alot, so it makes me wonder.

JaredPointer
01-05-2007, 04:17 PM
I have got an email in to chemical guys. I will post when answered. I don`t think that it would be there to shake the product because I would think that even if it was a full gallon (16 cups) it should have the xtra space for shaking. It also seems that alot of food products are shrinking...used to be 16 ounce cans of food, now if you notice it`s 15 ounces. Used to be 64 ounces in a half gallon of ice cream, now for some reason, they decided to eliminate 8 ounces and sell 56 ounces for the same price as half gallons. You can see this alot, so it makes me wonder.

Inflation.

Also - It`s a disguise to make you "feel better" about buying the product. If it looks like it`s the same size container, you might not notice the same price for a bit smaller product. :)

Beemerboy
01-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Inflation.

Also - It`s a disguise to make you "feel better" about buying the product. If it looks like it`s the same size container, you might not notice the same price for a bit smaller product. :)

JP
That`s a practice that they use in packaged coffee, you buy what looks like a good price on a pound is really 12 oz, perception is what that is about

black bart
01-05-2007, 08:26 PM
You are more observant than a lot of people.. Most people don`t even notice.
Look at a candy bar it has a piece of cardboard two inches longer than the candy bar.
A bottle of vitamins comes in a huge bottle but when you open it the bottle is stuffed with cotton and only half full of pills.
Nearly all company`s try to deceive you nothing new about that.

vwgtivw
01-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Maybe it settled during shipping.:rofl

audiboy
01-05-2007, 10:32 PM
That is definately a very interesting observation. Keep us updated on what they have to say.

budman3
01-05-2007, 10:41 PM
I was thinking the same thing the other day... do we really get everything we expected to pay for? It isn`t just the case in detailing products but juices, milk, food, etc. What really got me thinking is gas. Wouldn`t it be easy for a gas station to slow the flow of the gas to make it say you are getting 2 gallons of gas but are only getting 1.8 gallons???? Seems like an easy scam to make $$ to me. Maybe I`m just paranoid :bump :bubba

audiboy
01-05-2007, 10:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing the other day... do we really get everything we expected to pay for? It isn`t just the case in detailing products but juices, milk, food, etc. What really got me thinking is gas. Wouldn`t it be easy for a gas station to slow the flow of the gas to make it say you are getting 2 gallons of gas but are only getting 1.8 gallons???? Seems like an easy scam to make $$ to me. Maybe I`m just paranoid :bump :bubba

I know that a few gas stations in my area were sued and fined heavily for adding water to the gas they sell. One station added so much that one customers vehicle stopped running after a fill up.

CharlesW
01-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I was thinking the same thing the other day... do we really get everything we expected to pay for? It isn`t just the case in detailing products but juices, milk, food, etc. What really got me thinking is gas. Wouldn`t it be easy for a gas station to slow the flow of the gas to make it say you are getting 2 gallons of gas but are only getting 1.8 gallons???? Seems like an easy scam to make $$ to me. Maybe I`m just paranoid :bump :bubbaThe pumps are checked regularly in our state and if Iowa does it, I`m guessing everyone does. :)
It carries a pretty stiff fine and may even be cause for shutting the pumps down.

Charles