PDA

View Full Version : on vacation- San Diego

CalgaryDetail
12-28-2006, 11:42 PM
so im on a family vacation. We decided to come to san diego this year. :yay. We have some stuff planned such as the zoo and sea world. However i am going mad with no detailing, and its only been a day.
The taho we rented only has 475 on the clock (its new) but the interior could use a good dressing and dust, this week is going to kill me.
I was wondering if there are any shops, detailing stores i should try to visit. I have no garantees since its a family thing, but i can push it :cool:. so any sugestions?
thnkx for the help

sneek
12-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Wax Works.

The guys name is Pete

he has Chemical Guys, Meguiar`s....you name it. IIRC, he has pretty good prices too, just make sure you call before you go

EDIT: I think Wax Works might be a touch far

PM: me if you want his business card.

Have a good trip and happy new year.

dr_detail
12-29-2006, 02:52 AM
Feel free to come on up here (1.5hrs north on the 15 frwy) and do my car :) Last thing I wanna do on my day off is mess with a Black Durango... besides, it could sure use it, and ya might just learn a few things!! ;)

CalgaryDetail
12-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Feel free to come on up here (1.5hrs north on the 15 frwy) and do my car :) Last thing I wanna do on my day off is mess with a Black Durango... besides, it could sure use it, and ya might just learn a few things!! ;)

haha we will see how it goes, but i am actully in oceanside, juts north of san diego, lol. Any big things i should come see. Also are there any local places to get detailing supplies? im always on the hunt, even on vacation

Sergei
12-29-2006, 01:29 PM
I live north county inland. About 10 miles due east of Oceanside. As far as detailing supplies, I haven`t seen anything decent above and beyond what you can get at Walmart, Target, Autozone, Kragen, Napa, etc... That`s why I do internet mail orders. Meguiar`s has a big shop setup in Lake Forest/Irvine - about 45 minutes north of you. But they have weird hours.

As far as seeing the sites, if you like big aircraft carriers... the USS Midway has been completely restored and officially a museum open to the public. I volunteer there. It`s located downtown in the harbor. You get to see an excellent aircraft carrier, with all sorts of planes on deck and below that represents the time USS Midway was active - WWII, Korea, Vietnam, 1st Gulf War. So you have from SNJ Texan (Prop Trainer) to F/A-18 Hornet. That`s quite a spread in naval aviation technology.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/USS_Midway_%28CV-41%29_decommissioned.jpg/393px-USS_Midway_%28CV-41%29_decommissioned.jpg

Once you are in the harbor, there are tons of places to eat. Nearby the USS Midway is the Kansas City BBQ where Top Gun was filmed.
And of course the skyline of SD is beautiful.

Enjoy...

steveo3002
12-29-2006, 03:33 PM
isnt autopia hq down that way?

and i checked out that aircraft carrier last year...its worth a look :)

Sergei
12-30-2006, 01:54 PM
isnt autopia hq down that way?

:)
Autopia is certainly in San Diego. But they were not receptive to a visit. They say it`s just a simple warehouse with no showroom.

CalgaryDetail
12-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Thank you everyone for the info. i dont know what im going to do since my family has 6 people who all want to do somthing diffrent, and detailing isn top on that list.
Today we went to sea world and it was AWSOME, i had such a great time.
tommorow we are going to the football game, which should be a fun time.

I dont think autopia is somthing i will get to do, or the hour and a half drive to the place sneek recomended (thank you though). im still working on right look, but we will see.

Thank you again, and ill keep you updated as to whats going on.

sneek
12-31-2006, 12:10 AM
... told you it was far!

just make sure you drop by an auto parts store, because they usually have some decent products for cheap.

Scooter
01-18-2007, 02:12 PM
How about Old Town San Diego, The Zoo, The naval yards, LegoLand,(especially worth it for little kids), Scripps aquarium,(Thursday is shark feeding day)