PDA

View Full Version : Megs #16 Review

CalgaryDetail
12-20-2006, 01:28 PM
So a while back, Chris, from e-shine gave me a free jar of Megs #16. :yayThank you Chris and the e-shine team. I promised I would do a review, this one is long over do but I did promise it.
I used the wax about 2 or 3 weeks ago during one of my study breaks. However, I still remember the wax well. So here is my review, please enjoy.

Product:
Meg`s #16 paste wax

Price:
Free. but for everyone else its $22.75 CDN at e-shine

Packaging:
Its a simple blue tin with some gaudy Meg’s stuff on it, the directions are on the back. I did like how it was a metal jar and not these plastic ones. The only problem is the lid is a pita to get off, but ones it is off your good.

Sent:
once opened i decided to smell it, I am used to using some nice smelling waxes, this one wasn’t one. Its not that it was a bad smell it just was not fruity like I’m used to. To tell you the truth its a waxy smell, surprise surprise, but it is kind of addicting, i found myself smelling it over and over again

color:
it was a light whitish blue, it looked like a really light hazy blue color. nothing special but hey its a wax.

Texture:
This was a hard wax, i did poke it with my finger and, I found it to be a really thick wax. For anyone who has used zymol carbon, (and kept it in the fridge like zymol says to), its much like that.

Direction per megs (paraphrased):
Basically its like any wax you use that’s not wowo, you apply it, let haze for about 15 min and buff off.
Chris and a few others have warned me to apply very thinly because its hard to buff otherwise.

How I used:
I applied a thin layer to the whole car using a yellow AG foam applicator. I put a little product on the pad at a time so I could spread it well. I spread until the product was almost no existent on the car. I made sure it was REALY REALY thin since I did not feel like some intense buffing
I let it sit for 20 minutes haze, from there I buffed off with a cobra mf.

Initial thoughts:
I thought it wasn’t to bad to buff off since I did apply it thin, also I found my paint to be really smooth. My paint needs some work because i have been busy with school.
I also threw a bucket of water on the hood and wow did it sheet, it was actually better then any sheeting i have seen before.

Looks:
The paint wasn’t to shiny, it did get shiniest after the 24 hour cure time, however it was nothing special. I did like the look though, it made it look "natural" with a kick. Its hard to explain what anyone who has used this was could probably help me out. Its almost like when applying 303 to the interior, its matte but you know something there. It was the same with 16 on the paint, it wasn’t to glossy or deep but you knew something was one it.

Durability:
its still beading and sheeting 2 to 3 weeks later, but that’s nothing special for a wax, almost all will do that. I will have to post in the future how long the wax lasted, assuming I let it last that long.

Finial thoughts:
Well Chris wasn’t kidding when he said that I would have the tin for life. I used so little product it was crazy. Once you applied the wax to a section you got the idea of how to use it, it was easy. I was defiantly impressed with the smoothness it left, however I wasn’t to impressed with the look. I think it may be a topper for a better-looking wax. I think it will also work well for winter cars, give some protection that lasts a while (from what I have heard)

I don’t know what the whole buzz around this wax is, its an ok wax for the price but nothing special. not worth buying 5 tines just in case. If i ever use this tin up i might buy another one we will see.

Will I use it again? yes of course I have a whole tin and I did like it better then gold class. It was allot nicer to work with and I liked the look better.

Special Thanks:

Thank you Chris for the opportunity to use this wax. I appreciate it. I was looking at getting some to see what the hype was about. Sorry I did not like it more bur i promised and honest option.

I would still tell people to try it as its a low price point, and there are a ton of people who don’t like it. Its just not my cup of tea.

But don’t take my word for it, try it yourself and let us hear your reviews.. for 20 bucks you cant loose.

Any comments or questions would be greatly appreciated.

tguil
12-20-2006, 07:46 PM
A good review. I used #16 exclusively when it was just about the only premium carnauba available. I thought that it was a very difficult wax to apply AND remove.

I certainly cannot understand all the hype about it now. However, I did buy a tin just after it was taken off the US market. :D

I`ve been a Meguiar`s guy since 1978. I may try other products but I always go back to Meguiar`s.

Tom :cool:

Bobcat
12-21-2006, 11:52 AM
It`s all about supply and demand, whisper "shortage" in most schmucks` ear and you have a runaway best seller. In this case, it`s the rarity that #16 isn`t produced anymore.