PDA

View Full Version : Micro-Restore Question

CharlesW
12-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Today I washed 8 MF towels in Micro-Restore. One was 24 x 36, one was 24 x 24, and the others were 16 x 16. I used 1.5 oz. of Micro-Restore in a medium load water setting. The tub was about 1/2 full of hot water. Two of the towels had been used with S&W, a couple for windows, and the rest for applying and removing Duragloss AW. None of the towels were really dirty and probably could have been used again. I happen to be one that uses a towel on one vehicle and then the towel is washed.

Anyway, the results were less than great. My wife`s regular laundry detergent does a better job.
Is everyone else but me having great luck with the Micro-Restore and it is just me or is the product possibly not quite as good as I thought it would be?

FWIW, I also used a 1/2 cup of vinegar in the second rinse, used the dryer balls when drying and the MF towels really don`t seem any softer or more fluffy than when I just throw them in with a load of clothes, use regular laundry detergent and dry them with a bunch of other stuff. Since the towels were in pretty good shape to start with, I didn`t expect much improvement and that was just what I got.:)

The towels I just washed still look dirty enough that they will be washed again using the process I have always used in the past.
I happen to be a big fan of easy, and my old system is about as easy as it gets. :)

Charles

jsfofec
12-14-2006, 04:37 PM
You know the old saying, "if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it"...I`ve always used liquid tide and then I started using Pinnacle Micro-Rejuvinator and to be honest I can`t really tell the difference. One way looks just as clean as the other. Maybe there is some "micro cleaning" going on that I can`t notice.

But in your case, you said it wasn`t as clean as the regular wash. That`s interesting because I hear people saying good things about Micro-Restore. Maybe the water temperature or something like that caused it, or you are using some real good soap and nothing can beat it!

pogo123
12-14-2006, 05:12 PM
You know the old saying, "if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it"...I`ve always used liquid tide and then I started using Pinnacle Micro-Rejuvinator and to be honest I can`t really tell the difference. One way looks just as clean as the other. Maybe there is some "micro cleaning" going on that I can`t notice.

That`s been my experience also. I will stick to the Tide when my M-R is gone since I don`t notice any difference at all.:confused:

CalgaryDetail
12-14-2006, 06:39 PM
I find that adding micro-restore to the detergant works best, It is almost a booster for the laundry detergant.I would give it another shot with using both, see if it works better then just tide.

jaybs02
12-14-2006, 07:31 PM
I have found that my towels are "slightly" softer when I use Micro-restore over my regular washing technique but not that much where it could justify the added cost.
Unless there are other added benefits (which I would like to hear) I think that I will stick to my regular wash routine.

"J"

Surfer
12-15-2006, 12:35 AM
Honestly, Liquid Tide Free works perfect for me, towels come out clean and soft. What I like to do before a wash is put a little mixture of tide and some apc in buckets with hot water and let the towels sit for a night or two. Losens any crud stuck in the fibers along with oils, waxes etc. Only use a little Liquid Tide in a wash though, that sh!t foams/bubbles like crazy lol, a few times I had to rewash b/c the towels were holding suds, now I have the perfect amount down pat lol.

Mr. Clean
12-15-2006, 04:30 PM
The towels I just washed still look dirty enough that they will be washed again using the process I have always used in the past.
You`ve probably stated this elsewhere, but exactly what is that process/product(s)?

For my part, I am satisfied with the results of the Micro-Restore product. That is the cleaning aspect of the product. My take on the softness/fluffiness is acheived by the elimination of product left in the towels, not something added by the cleaner itself. I know the dryer ball marketing material indicates that it fluffs the materials, IMO it is just that marketing. They probably do speed up the drying process, but that is all.

It seems to me that by using the most free rinsing detergent available and adding vinegar in the rinse water you can get the results that you expect. Speaking of free rinsing detergents, one of Micro-Restore`s superiority (over "normal" household laundry detergents) claims is that is completely free of bleach and fabric softeners which, it claims that many of the other detergents include yet may not specify.

SilverLexus
12-16-2006, 12:57 PM
I like Microrestore. It seems to get out more dirt to my eyes, but Tide HE also does a great job. The best deal is with CMA where a gallon container is like $22. I get a full year out of that.

CharlesW
12-16-2006, 06:34 PM
You`ve probably stated this elsewhere, but exactly what is that process/product(s)?1. Put them in the wash with a bunch of other stuff. Jeans, flannel shirts, sweat shirts, just about anything that is dark colored. No presoaking.
2. Use whatever laundry detergent my wife has on hand. It is usually All, Era or Gain. It depends entirely on what she can buy on sale.:)
FWIW, neither she nor I see any difference in how the detergents perform.
3. Wash at normal agitator speed not the heavy soil speed, using warm wash, cold rinse. No second rinse or vinegar added to the rinse cycle.
4. Dry the entire load at a medium heat setting.

When I washed the towels in the Micro-Restore, I used a hot water wash thinking it should help the process. I also did a second rinse with about 1/2 cup of vinegar added.
Friday, I washed the towels again using All, warm water wash, cold water rinse, second rinse with no vinegar. With them, I washed some jeans and a sweatshirt. They came out clean.
I may try the Micro-Restore at a higher ratio although I`m seriously considering trying to trade the 30.5 ounces I have left to someone that is happy with the product.
I`m not really unhappy with the product, it just doesn`t seem to clean any better than my regular laundry detergent.

Charles

rabbi
12-16-2006, 06:46 PM
I wash my micros with whatever detergent my wife buys. I wash on the light soil cycle. I rinse with warm water and drip/hang dry.My towels come out soft and plush.As of now I do not see me buying any additives to use with my towels.

kimwallace
12-17-2006, 11:39 AM
I`m not really unhappy with the product, it just doesn`t seem to clean any better than my regular laundry detergent.
Charles

I agree ... I use All Free and Clear and get the same results as when using Micro Restore.
My towels are usually collected over a period of time and may have residue from many different products (sealant, oil heavy polishes, glaze, wax, etc.) I presoak my towels in hot water and Dawn to disolve the residue and even grease. I then wash in the machine with hot water and warm rinse and then dry on low temperature. Drying on low temperature has made the most improvement in softness. FWIW ... I have softened water.
It makes more sense to me to spend money on products that actually are an improvement over what I am currently using and save money where I can.

Mr. Clean
12-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Charles, if you see not perceptible difference in the performance of your normal washing products vs the mf specific detergents, then you definitely should save the extra expense and continue with what is currently working for you. That is a good place to be, but I certainly understand your curiosity and quest for something better.