PDA

View Full Version : Is this too extreme for Poorboy`s S&W?

CharlesW
12-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Rather than hi-jack Joe`s thread, I just hi-jacked his picture, :)

How about some thoughts on using S&W on something like this.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/jpresti726/joescarwash017.jpg[/QUOTE]

It`s a little worse than anything I have used S&W on, but maybe some of you have been a little more daring than me. I`d have to go to the spray wash first before using the S&W, but would it really be necessary?

Charles

jaybs02
12-09-2006, 08:35 AM
I too would give that a quick shot from the U-DO-IT wash before I would attempt just using S&W. I did try making my own type of QEW type product once by mixing some NXT wash, water and S&W just so I could get off the heavy stuff. Then I went over the car with S&W

"J"

Poorboy
12-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Charles,

Spray and Wipe could easily do the job, but only if you are a member of the 5 gallon club and an owner of a lot of microfiber towels would it make it economical. That`s why we came out with Bug Squash which is also a winter pre-wash besides a bug remover. I have done dirtier cars and I`ve seen pictures from blkyukon doing just as dirty a truck. :)

joe.p
12-09-2006, 08:46 AM
At first i thought it might of been a little dirty.
last year i used QEW but i have since switched over to ONR and this product literraly disssolves the dirt.. I hit the panels with S&W to break the down the salt then used warm water with Sheepskin mitt without inducing any marring at all..

I switched over to 1/2 oz ONR diluted in a 32 oz spray bottle for the hood but it didn`t break down the salt like S&W...maybe the dilution rate was wrong ,but anyways i went back using S&W on the entire car..

Spray and Wipe could easily do the job, but only if you are a member of the 5 gallon club and an owner of a lot of microfiber towels would it make it economical.

I went thru 16oz of S&W pretty quick this is why i wanted to try the ONR but it didn`t break down the salt as well as S&W..The 1st 16 oz was enough to use on 3/4 of the car and used another 4-6 oz to finish it off..

This morning i took a few pics after a wipe down..heres the results.I took the car out last night thats why you see some road salt..the 1/4 panel is a true pic of how well the S&W and ONR worked together.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/jpresti726/Img_4321.jpg

heres the lower panel..no wipe down..
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/jpresti726/Img_4322.jpg

cwcad
12-09-2006, 08:53 AM
In the months of April and May in Fairbanks they have spring breakup. It gets cold in the evening and warms up during the day. Constant thawing and freezing for over a month. Sometimes there is freezing rain and snow which causes this kind of look in just seconds after a vehicle has been washed at the local coin op.

I think that a vehicle that looks like the one posted can be cleaned with S&W. I use a lot of MF towels and go slow. Start at the top and work down. I do not skimp on the S&W either. It is easy than a coin op car wash or in drive way using the two bucket method. Faster as well. Do I think that I induce marring? With out a doubt. Do I think that I induce marring in a two bucket method on the same vehicle. With out a doubt. That vehicle is a nasty situation.

Do you want a clean vehicle? I know that I do. In the weather that is cool but not cold I think that S&W offers a chance to get the car clean with minimal marring if done correctly. This is only done on a daily driver. I would never do this on a garage queen.

kimwallace
12-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Yuck!!! winter is back ... that looks like my car only a different color ...
Yes S&W will work and I have used it on salt and dirt like that. It is a slow process and uses many, many MF towels. The salt and S&W seems to make a slurry that is a little difficult to completely remove on the first try.
The amount of S&W used was not as much of an issue as the number of MFs I went through.
Sometimes it is just quicker to get out the bucket and hose.
Actually, sometimes I will just wash and rinse the lower part of the car and S&W the top where the salt isn`t as thick.

Winter Sucks :(

joe.p
12-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Winter Sucks :( I agree :(.. I soaked the panel with S&W to dissolve the salt then used two sheepskin mitts with warm water and ONR..after using a cobra WW to dry the panels, with no dirt on the towel on was comfortable enough to to finish up the entire car....

btw, it was 14 deg outside a little warmer in the garage..

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/jpresti726/joescarwash027.jpgthe the 1st two buckets of water are quite clean compared to what you might think it would look like after seeing the pics..i dumped out the buckets to refresh the water to complete the rest of my wash....