PDA

View Full Version : Taping Off Trim

jsfofec
12-08-2006, 12:56 PM
I was wondering if you guys always tape off your trim. When I`m polishing, I tape it off (although I don`t want to sometimes), but I was wondering if you are putting on an extra coat of wax or sealant do you re-tape everything. Do you know which waxes and sealants are known to stain or not stain the trim?

CalgaryDetail
12-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I find myself taping off trim if im doing a full polish since i find alot of polishes dust or sling. I dont find that i need to tape off the car if im waxing

audiboy
12-08-2006, 01:48 PM
I just hit up all the trim with PB`s Trim Restorer before and after the polishing or waxing process. That takes care of all stains for me.

CharlesW
12-08-2006, 02:26 PM
I was wondering if you guys always tape off your trim. When I`m polishing, I tape it off (although I don`t want to sometimes), but I was wondering if you are putting on an extra coat of wax or sealant do you re-tape everything. Do you know which waxes and sealants are known to stain or not stain the trim?Taping is something I have never felt the need to do.
Most of my polishing is done with Klasse AIO which doesn`t stain trim. Same thing for the waxes I use. They don`t stain, so no taping is necessary.

Charles

TrueDetailer
12-08-2006, 02:34 PM
If there is alot of molding and trim then i`ll tape most of it up. If i`m only dealing with one of them door ding protector strips that run the distance of the car. I`ll just dress it and mess with it after i`m done polishing. The thing i hate about dressing all the exterior plastics before i wax is that if you get to close you get it on your applicator. And everyone knows how big of a pain that can be.

detailz
12-08-2006, 03:23 PM
We do tape, but not for every vehicle. It depends on what we are trying to accomplish, i.e. paint correction or a simple refresh. If it is a simple touch up we dress the moldings first to prevent staining. With paint correction we do tape so not burn any of the moldings. I also have two truck rail caps, taped/labeled with the name of each product we have applied in each section showing whether it stains or not. Good reminder for the guys and has come in handy with certain customers.

zilla
12-08-2006, 03:58 PM
I typically tape, but it depends on the car. The stuff I use comes off of trim easily, so it`s not a big deal really.

dr_detail
12-08-2006, 04:10 PM
As mentioned from others, it really depends upon the product using, the type of trim, and what`s being done. Attached is a recent before, durring and after of a overspray removal on a black vehicle I was contracted to fix from a previous persons attempt (remove swirls, and wax from trim, cracks, & emblems). As you can see from the first image, textured plastic tends to suck up certain types of products. If I am buffing out a vehicle, I will mask edges and trim, period. It might take a few extra minutes, but the final results are worth every second. If I am waxing a vehicle, I am aware of which types of products in my arsenol that will tend to stain and if need be either mask or dress accordingly. I`ll also note that for many of you outside California, solvent based dressings will work like a charm in preventing/ fixing these issues; unfortunatly due to EPA regulations, we don`t!!

Brenton
12-08-2006, 04:25 PM
And medium or agressive work around plastic or rubber, and I tape. Anytime I use a rotary with a natural wool, I`ll even tape corners and things.
A couple of handy things:
1. TR pre-wax (mentioned above); applying with a foam brush and buffing after 15mins or so is great. There are only a couple of black surfaces I don`t prefer it on
2. Green/blue tape on painted panels (pic above; or deaden masking tape)
3. Damp cardboard slipped under the hood to block the plastic under the window, wipers, etc.--saves on cleaning later
4. If it is a quick hood polish, damp mfs will keep sling or polish off wipers
5. A horsehair brush (toothbrush size) is great for removing old (or new dried) polish from cracks, emblems, trim, etc.

Beemerboy
12-08-2006, 05:42 PM
I just hit up all the trim with PB`s Trim Restorer before and after the polishing or waxing process. That takes care of all stains for me.

Ditto on this, I do tape off some rubber areas on some cars depending on where it is and if I feel like my buffer might hit it or burn that area.

jsfofec
12-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I probably should use common sense and continue to tape when necessary, plus learn the products I have and see which ones need taping or not.

Twice during the summer while I was detailing my cars, I had all the trim taped off, and I was asked if I was painting the car. I guess people`s first reaction when they see tape, is painting, like when you paint your house.