PDA

View Full Version : Megs #66 review

CalgaryDetail
11-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Its review time again

So today I had a break from school. Myself and my partner are looking at getting into dealerships since its not great money but its steady cash flow as well it will hopefully generate some good word of mouth.
We have been looking for a good AIO product that has some cleaning abbility as well as protect well. We are waitng on out poli-seal (its in the mail, thank you AG) I had purchased some 66 a while back in my big megs order. Since its in a gallon containor it got put to the side and was forgoten. Another threas reminded me of 66 so i thought hey I will give it a shot. (i still dont have time to do a ful detail on one of my cars to try out concours.. it will come i promise)
so here we go

Product: Megs #66- quick detailer

Price: $27.99us so it works out to be about (27.99/128oz= 22cents a oz)

product claim: (taken from auto geek)

What a great value! If you work as a professional detailer or you’re feeding a serious detailing addiction, Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #66 Quick Detailer in the gallon size is an excellent find. This is 128 ounces of top notch cleaner wax that allows you to work efficiently while giving you outstanding results!

This isn’t a quick detailer in the traditional sense, but the name does fit. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #66 Quick Detailer removes oxidation and blemishes while restoring gloss. Plus, it adds a durable layer of wax protection. You can give your vehicle a complete detail in about half the time of the two-step polish-and-wax process.

Meguiars #66 Quick Detailer removes water spots, stains, light oxidation, and micro-marring from clear coat and single stage paint finishes. With a combination of chemical cleaners and the mechanical motion of a buffer, #66 restores gloss and removes blemishes effectively and efficiently. That’s why professional detailers use it on vehicle after vehicle.

Meguiars #66 Quick Detailer can be applied by hand, with a dual action polisher or a rotary polisher. It will have the most cleaning ability if applied with a polisher and a while polishing pad. Application couldn’t be easier than with a Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher. Whether you’re a novice or a pro, you’ll get expert results.

Remove #66 Quick Detailer with a Cobra Microfiber Bonnet or Cobra Microfiber Towel. The benefit of microfiber is that it will buff the paint to a glossy shine while completely removing the haze.

If the vehicle’s finish is severely neglected, use Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish to improve the texture prior to using #66.

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #66 Quick Detailer is built for speed! Perfect and protect your paint finish in one simple step with #66. It’s a great value in the gallon size!

Texture and color: its is a bluish green (mostly blue) creamy fluid, its almost like yogurt in texture. I couldn’t pin down the smell but its not bad. I don’t mind it. I also put a small amount in between my fingers and it seemed smooth and creamy

Initial though: I wasn’t sure how this was going to do. Cumon a one step product. But hey I had two cars that needed to be done so I was going to try it. worst comes to worst I just have to throw a coat of wax overtop.

How I used it: After washing and claying the car (claying is how we got them to try us) i apply 66 with a pc and a blue edge 2000 DA pad. I applied to the side of the bed of the first truck. I applied it to think but that’s a little later. I then proceeded to apply it over the whole car (it was hard to tell in some spots since it was a white truck). I finished applying it then I went to work on the inside of truck 2. (they were both oil rig trucks so there was allot of dirt and what not in them) After finishing the inside of truck two I went to buff off the #66 (once it hazed). The part I did first was a PITA to get off, it was thick and gooey. When I moved along the car it got easer. It had more time to dry as well as I had figured out how easy and how far the small amount of product went. I went to do car number two. this time i applied it allot of thinner. I let it haze for about a half hour. It was much easer to get off this time.

appearance of car: I was actually very impressed with the look of the trucks. They had a nice shine to them, and they felt nice and smooth. we also poured some water on the first truck and the water sheeted right off. It was very impressive.

Thoughts: Although I didn’t use it as a swirl remover it did a good job of cleaning the paint and it actually looked good. I was very impressed. I defiantly think this will be a good product for out dealership cars. (since they want something to sell the car as well as they want it to be inexpensive)

Recommendations: I would defiantly recommend this to other people. I will make sure to compare it to poli-seal when it comes and when I do the test. I was happy with the results, as well as the few dollars of product (i used only a few oz`s a car). If you are doing dealership contracts this might be an option.

I did this off the top of my head since I used 66 a few hours ago (I’m getting old). Any comments or questions would be appreciated. Also if you would like anything reviled let me know and I will see what I can do.(I know its just what I think and feel but it might help someone)

CharlesW
12-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Thoughts: Although I didn’t use it as a swirl remover it did a good job of cleaning the paint and it actually looked good. I was very impressed. I defiantly think this will be a good product for out dealership cars. (since they want something to sell the car as well as they want it to be inexpensive)Meg`s #66 carries an abrasive rating of 4 on Meg`s scale of 0 to 10.
As a comparison, #80 is also rated at 4.
#83 DACP is a 6.
#82 and #9 are both rated at 3.
It isn`t terribly abrasive, but I don`t think it would be my choice for regular use.
I think you probably put it right where it belongs, doing the quick one step, but still decent jobs for a competitive price.

Charles

CalgaryDetail
12-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Meg`s #66 carries an abrasive rating of 4 on Meg`s scale of 0 to 10.
As a comparison, #80 is also rated at 4.
#83 DACP is a 6.
#82 and #9 are both rated at 3.
It isn`t terribly abrasive, but I don`t think it would be my choice for regular use.
I think you probably put it right where it belongs, doing the quick one step, but still decent jobs for a competitive price.

Charles

yes it does a nice job of a quick detailer. I didnt use it for a swirl remover but im sure if I had tried it would have helped. I will have to try it on anohter car and let oyu knwo how it goes

MYC5VERT
12-01-2006, 12:13 AM
I was very impressed with the results as well. It shed water very well, and while it didnt leave the most amazing gloss, it was good for the cars being white, as well as an AIO! I was impressed and would highly recommend it to anyone!

Tex Star Detail
12-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Yep....I like #66 myself. My "go-to" one stepper. It does reduce swirls, to a certain amount. depends on what type of pad you use, along with rotary or PC.
Good product. Will always have a home in my arsenal.

holland_patrick
12-01-2006, 10:50 AM
mine is purple and VERY VERY thin..

CalgaryDetail
12-02-2006, 01:42 AM
no questions.. cumon you must be wondering somthing