PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash Suds?

CharlesW
11-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Rather than further hi-jack a thread, I thought maybe some discussion on sudsing of auto shampoos might be interesting.

I like lots of suds, but are the suds necessary or even of any real value?

Would/does a low or no suds product do just as good a job?

Who sells a low/no suds wash product?
(Waterless or low water usage products excluded.)

Anyone have experience with a low or no suds car wash?

Charles

Mr. Clean
11-28-2006, 05:40 PM
I`ve read often that suds are of little to no value and that soap/water lubricity is the true champion. I agree that I like slick feeling soapy water, but I don`t agree that suds are not an important factor. Watching the action of suds/soap bubbles (gee doesn`t that sound intriguing) it appears that the suds move from the bottom up. I infer that this action helps to lift/loosen dirt/grime from the surface. I may be wrong, but that`s my story and I`m sticking to it.

I have come across soaps that seem to present less sudsing than others. I can`t recall any specific soaps at the moment, but maybe it will come to me.

Poorboy
11-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Charles we made a few samples that way, but most people prefer to see suds, to them it`s a sign of cleaning ability ;)
You can also make any soap low suds by the way you fill up the bucket..low pressure under the water will produce less suds, putting the soap in after you fill the bucket will produce low suds..etc...:)

CharlesW
11-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Charles we made a few samples that way, but most people prefer to see suds, to them it`s a sign of cleaning ability ;)
You can also make any soap low suds by the way you fill up the bucket..low pressure under the water will produce less suds, putting the soap in after you fill the bucket will produce low suds..etc...:)I`m one of those that likes lots of suds, but it seems that the value of suds may be somewhat in a persons mind.
Did your low/no suds version clean to your satisfaction?

Charles

rabbi
11-28-2006, 06:04 PM
I not only like lots of suds but also staying power.
Strange but the one high end shampoo that didn`t make lots of suds was a disappointment to me. From the start when I didn`t see the suds erupt from the bucket until I rinsed it off I was not overly impressed with this product.
Was I swayed by my 1st reaction/impression?I don`t know but I do know this.GIVE ME THE SUDS MAN!

CharlesW
11-28-2006, 06:12 PM
A little off-topic, but not much. (Hey, it`s my thread:))
When I mix my wash water and soap, I think it rinses cleaner when I use a little less soap than the 1 oz. per gallon ratio.
Is it likely to reduce the lubricating qualities of the soap/water solution to any noticeable degree? It still feels slick and makes lots of suds when washing the vehicles.

Charles

Poorboy
11-28-2006, 06:16 PM
I`m one of those that likes lots of suds, but it seems that the value of suds may be somewhat in a persons mind.
Did your low/no suds version clean to your satisfaction?

Charles

Yes, the majority are like you Charles, but it`s just icing to the cake. As Mr. Clean said it`s lubrication that counts the most and a free rinsing formula that does the best job. Yes, the low suds version is very nice, in fact I still use it often since I had extra samples :D

Poorboy
11-28-2006, 06:18 PM
A little off-topic, but not much. (Hey, it`s my thread:))
When I mix my wash water and soap, I think it rinses cleaner when I use a little less soap than the 1 oz. per gallon ratio.
Is it likely to reduce the lubricating qualities of the soap/water solution to any noticeable degree? It still feels slick and makes lots of suds when washing the vehicles.

Charles

Charles, a lot of what you see will also be determined by the quality of the water. Hard water will tend to make less suds and less lubrication, meaning you may need more soap per gallon. Soft water will require less soap and give more lubrication and more suds.

CharlesW
11-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Yes, the majority are like you Charles, but it`s just icing to the cake. As Mr. Clean said it`s lubrication that counts the most and a free rinsing formula that does the best job. Yes, the low suds version is very nice, in fact I still use it often since I had extra samples :DSo, why not bring it to market, sell it for a high price due to the extra cost of taking the suds out of the formula?

Or have another product to mix with it each time it is used that reduces the amount of sudsing.

This stuff could have endless marketing potential. (Or not)

Charles

CharlesW
11-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Charles, a lot of what you see will also be determined by the quality of the water. Hard water will tend to make less suds and less lubrication, meaning you may need more soap per gallon. Soft water will require less soap and give more lubrication and more suds.We are very fortunate in my area that the water must not be real hard. Lots of suds is easy and water spotting is rare.

Charles

rabbi
11-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Suds help the soap cling to the paint.Thus aiding with the lubricity of the surface.
I have also used as little as 1/2 an ounce maybe even a quarter of an ounce(I forget) and washed my car/s. The finish was as clean and as slick as any I`ve done using my standard 2 ounces of carwash addition.

black bart
11-28-2006, 06:45 PM
Looks like I`m the odd man out on this one because I don`t worry about suds just as long as it has good cleaning power and it is slick.

Poorboy
11-28-2006, 07:56 PM
So, why not bring it to market, sell it for a high price due to the extra cost of taking the suds out of the formula?

Or have another product to mix with it each time it is used that reduces the amount of sudsing.

This stuff could have endless marketing potential. (Or not)

Charles

Unfortunately Charles I don`t think there is enough of a market for a low suds shampoo :(