PDA

View Full Version : Clear Bra removal

zilla
11-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Anyone ever taken one of these off? I just bought an M3 and the previous owner had one installed when it was new I think. It`s starting to show it`s age and be a little too visible for my taste.

Thanks in advance for any tips. I was thinking of trying out a hairdryer and some gentle elbow grease to pull it off. I`ve read that it should be removed in strips, to avoid damaging the clear.

Beemerboy
11-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Anyone ever taken one of these off? I just bought an M3 and the previous owner had one installed when it was new I think. It`s starting to show it`s age and be a little too visible for my taste.

Thanks in advance for any tips. I was thinking of trying out a hairdryer and some gentle elbow grease to pull it off. I`ve read that it should be removed in strips, to avoid damaging the clear.

I`ve seen them installed..I would suggest taking it to a pro to see what they would say...From what I could tell is that they use a glue of some sorts to attach it, once you have pulled off the plastic then you have to remove the glue, and I have no clue about how that is done.

I`d see a pro to be safe

JaredPointer
11-28-2006, 12:22 PM
I`ve plenty of them off, lot`s of times one handed....wait...oops... :D

Sorry, I couldn`t resist. :)

CalgaryDetail
11-28-2006, 12:29 PM
I have never done it so take everything that I say with a gran of salt. I am in now way resposible if this goes arye
What I would do if I were to remove a clear bra would be

1:wash the car well to get off any dirt

2: use a heat gun in small sections to loosten the glue (much like you would a sticker on the paint)

3: slowley peel back the bra. Make sure you go slow so there is no paint removed

4: wash the car again once the bra is off, get off any dirt that might be trapped under the bra so it dosent scratche

5: use megs paint cleanser (its one i like, works well), I would over all the clue at least 2times to make sure you get as much off as possible

6: clay the area.. this should remove most of the gue resadue

7: for anything that is left contiune with steps 5 and 6 until it is completly clean

8: wash again, make sure veything is off your paint

9: polish if needed, im not sure how the paint will look under the bra so it may need some work

10: seal or wax and you would the rest of your car

This might seam kinda time conusming and it will be but I would spend the time to make sure I dont harm the paint. Its better to have it take a few hours instead of needing a repaint. And like I said I have never done this SO I ASUME NO RESPONSBILIY, this is just what I would do. have fun

zilla
11-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I have never done it so take everything that I say with a gran of salt. I am in now way resposible if this goes arye
What I would do if I were to remove a clear bra would be

1:wash the car well to get off any dirt

2: use a heat gun in small sections to loosten the glue (much like you would a sticker on the paint)

3: slowley peel back the bra. Make sure you go slow so there is no paint removed

4: wash the car again once the bra is off, get off any dirt that might be trapped under the bra so it dosent scratche

5: use megs paint cleanser (its one i like, works well), I would over all the clue at least 2times to make sure you get as much off as possible

6: clay the area.. this should remove most of the gue resadue

7: for anything that is left contiune with steps 5 and 6 until it is completly clean

8: wash again, make sure veything is off your paint

9: polish if needed, im not sure how the paint will look under the bra so it may need some work

10: seal or wax and you would the rest of your car

This might seam kinda time conusming and it will be but I would spend the time to make sure I dont harm the paint. Its better to have it take a few hours instead of needing a repaint. And like I said I have never done this SO I ASUME NO RESPONSBILIY, this is just what I would do. have fun

That doesn`t sound too time consuming to me... I was going to do it as part of detailing the car (which boy...this dude took good care of everything on the car cept the paint... it`s swirled up big time) and honestly that was about the steps I was planning to use.

I think I will consult with an installer to see what they say about it.

Thanks guys! Keep any info coming.

zilla
11-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I`ve plenty of them off, lot`s of times one handed....wait...oops... :D

Sorry, I couldn`t resist. :)

Just snap your fingers!! :yay

Brenton
11-28-2006, 08:18 PM
I`ve done it recently on a BMW from the West that the clear bra had turned brittle and yellow.
None of the paint came off with the bra, but I tested around the edges and moved slowly inward. I heated with a gun, then peeled as quickly as I could without feeling I was pulling the paint. It came of in 2 or 3 pieces
It left TONNES of residue glue (for USers, that`s TONS). It took plastic razor blades (from JoeP--thanx!) and adhesive remover to do the trick. I prefer Zep ClingSoy in the aeresol to 3M aeresol, but the 3M liquid is good too. It took about 2hours to do this one.
Then I did about 90 mins of careful polishing and blending on the hood.

Good luck, that`s just my experience.
brenton

Conundrum
11-29-2006, 04:01 PM
How about for clearbra replacement?

I have a "Clearguard" on my car, and am considering replacing it with a new one in a few years if mine gets too dinged up over time (also so I can touch up any spots that breached the bra). I figure it would be the same, heat, then slowly remove, then remove the adhesive, but I wonder if it should really be taken the "whole 9 yards" and polished before the new bra is applied. I wouldn`t be doing it myself though (too scarred/inexperienced), but I`d want to make sure whatever place did it knew exactly what they are doing (figure a lot of tint places can put it on, but few maybe can take one off).

zilla
11-29-2006, 05:01 PM
How about for clearbra replacement?

I have a "Clearguard" on my car, and am considering replacing it with a new one in a few years if mine gets too dinged up over time (also so I can touch up any spots that breached the bra). I figure it would be the same, heat, then slowly remove, then remove the adhesive, but I wonder if it should really be taken the "whole 9 yards" and polished before the new bra is applied. I wouldn`t be doing it myself though (too scarred/inexperienced), but I`d want to make sure whatever place did it knew exactly what they are doing (figure a lot of tint places can put it on, but few maybe can take one off).

I considered that... but this car has evidently had the bra for a while, b/c the paint looks perfect. So I was thinking that it`d be nice to ditch the bra and just protect the car myself. But I may look into replacing it. How much does it typically cost for a clear bra?

Look for pics of the car, before and after, probably Sunday. Gonna detail it this weekend. :yay

yello430
12-07-2006, 08:22 AM
I carefully peeled it from my car after about 400 miles with no ill effects .The paint was new obviously but i just didn`t like the factory application around the air inlets . So i ditched the stuff .

zilla
12-07-2006, 08:57 AM
I carefully peeled it from my car after about 400 miles with no ill effects .The paint was new obviously but i just didn`t like the factory application around the air inlets . So i ditched the stuff .

:)

Sweet car man.

2drtahoez71
12-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Just snap your fingers!! :yay
works everytime:dnaughty

Woob
12-07-2006, 04:41 PM
What brand was the film? Honestly any good film from what I`ve heard should last up to 5 years, this is assuming the installer did a good job. The film shouldn`t fade or discolor.

zilla
12-07-2006, 08:21 PM
What brand was the film? Honestly any good film from what I`ve heard should last up to 5 years, this is assuming the installer did a good job. The film shouldn`t fade or discolor.

The edges are looking rough more than anything, I`ve cleaned them up a decent bit so overall it`s improved tremendously. I think I`m gonna leave it at this point. No clue what brand it is though.