PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 7428 rotary

rockz9
11-22-2006, 03:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here has or used a porter cable 7428 rotary polisher.Iam thinking about getting one for x mas and switching over to edge pad system as well..Any feedback on this polisher and pad system is appreciated.

heavychevy
11-26-2006, 02:31 AM
I have one andlove it, I havent used any others though so nothing to compare with. its a bigger heavier rotary model of the 7424 if that helps.

GearHead_1
11-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I have one andlove it, I havent used any others though so nothing to compare with. its a bigger heavier rotary model of the 7424 if that helps.
Not exactly, the color of the machines and the fact that they are both Porter Cable products is where the similarities stop. The 7424 is a random orbital polisher, the 7428 is a rotary buffer. Though you mention it is a rotary machine the difference between orbital and random is fairly significant difference. The 7424 is meant to tackle issues (paint corrections) that the 7424 can`t touch, in the wrong hands it can damage a finish (burn the paint). The 7424 handles most minor swirls without a high user learning curve and is very safe for your finish (difficult to damage your paint). No offense intended in this reply.

bigron62
11-26-2006, 05:07 PM
i highly recommend the edge system . i have a makita and i am real happy with it.

heavychevy
11-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Not exactly, the color of the machines and the fact that they are both Porter Cable products is where the similarities stop. The 7424 is a random orbital polisher, the 7428 is a rotary buffer. Though you mention it is a rotary machine the difference between orbital and random is fairly significant difference. The 7424 is meant to tackle issues (paint corrections) that the 7424 can`t touch, in the wrong hands it can damage a finish (burn the paint). The 7424 handles most minor swirls without a high user learning curve and is very safe for your finish (difficult to damage your paint). No offense intended in this reply.

I know what I meant. I said its a Bigger(which it is) Heavier (which it is) Rotary Version (which it is) of the 7424. The guy seemingly already knows the difference between rotary and DA because he put the model number and Rotary in the title. He is asking if it is a good one as compared to the other rotary`s. I have used it and love it but like I said it would take somone who has used different Rotary`s to give comparisons. No offense taken

dr_detail
11-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Over the course of my tenure I have owned a Makita, a Milwalkee, some cheap off brands, a Sioux, and a Black & Decker (same unit as a Porter Cable). Although it seams lighter, and the placement of the variable speed trigger is nicer on the Makita, I found it`s ride height a little to much. The Milwalkee was to heavy, as was the Sioux. The Sioux, with it`s all steel construction however, is so overly heavy that it`s beautiful for doing the big expanses of old detroit steel or for training newbies on how to keep the pad flat (it might be to heavy for any of today`s cars though -- it might buckle a hood). The Black & Decker (which is the same as the Porter Cable) ended up as my keeper. I`ve had it for 18+ years and other than having to replace the brushes once, the power cord twice, and a couple of re-lubes, it has provided me with countless hours of service. If I had to replace it or purchase a new one, I would probabaly go with the Porter Cable.

Hope this helps :)

GearHead_1
11-26-2006, 08:55 PM
I know what I meant. I suspected you might but thought someone else may not.

Ron, I`m with you, I like Edge`s products alot.

Bobcat
11-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Mr. Gear - have you tried Edge`s wool pads?

GearHead_1
11-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Mr. Gear - have you tried Edge`s wool pads?

Sorry, I`ve only used their foam products. I`ve used them on both rotary and PC and like them alot. I don`t do this professionally and typically the cars I take care of don`t require this level of pad.