PDA

View Full Version : for those who are mobile.....

spotless
11-21-2006, 07:06 PM
i have a question for those who are mobile detailers. do you need to carry MSD sheets for the products that you carry with you? the reason why i ask is because i read somewhere (can`t remember where) that you need to carry these sheets with you, if not you can get fined. is this true, if so what are MSD sheets and where do you get them, and who can you get fined by?

davekt
11-21-2006, 07:34 PM
In Australia I carry them with me but noone has ever questioned me on them.My suppliers give them to me so I may aswell carry them you never know when you will be asked for them.Dave

dr_detail
11-22-2006, 03:17 AM
In 20+ years of doing this, even when transporting my materials on planes, I`ve never been asked to see a MSDS -- I was however told my buffer couldn`t be a cary on item though :lol

CalgaryDetail
11-22-2006, 03:23 AM
Im not mobile but I think it depends on your area. I know in calgary you need to have them aval. for all empoyees so this would include youself. So yes you would have to carry them however I think it all depends on where you live.
My advice would be to get a file folder and put all of them in there. this is easy enough to store in your car incaseyou do ever need them

Squirtgun
11-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Yes,you need to carry all MSDS for products you carry.For 3 reasons:
1.If you were in a wreck and a spill of chemicals were to occur,the MSDS gives fire and police the info they need to proceed with clean up.
2.If stopped by the DOT for inspection,they will ask for them.If you don`t have them the fines can be rather pricey.
3.If you were to get chemical burns to your eyes,skin or become incapacitated emergency workers will be able to treat you.

Get a note book witha transparent cover and clearly mark it with MSDS.If you have an enclosed trailer hang it on the door.If you use an open trailer put it somewhere with easy access.Make a note on the trailer as to it`s location in case you are incapacitated and someone needs to find it.

Poorboy
11-22-2006, 09:23 PM
In 20+ years of doing this I`ve never been asked to see a MSDS --

this was true for me too...the real question would be what chemicals do you carry and work with...if you use mostly water-based products that do not come with hazardous warnings on the bottles themselves then you don`t really have anything to worry about. If you are not working with a crew and registered with OSHA, then you have nothing to worry about. If you use HF acids or other products that come with high warnings for Health, Fire, or Reactivity which would be a 3 or 4 on the hazard rating list (often a diamond shape on the back of a bottle) then it might be good to have the MSDS`s.
If there is a risk of hazard by a product, the manufacturer has to print it on the bottles. if you buy bulk and transfer to smaller bottles, it might be a good idea to get a copy of the label.

Typical warnings are:
Do not induce vomiting ...
For eye irritation, flush with water for 15 minutes
Use in open and well ventilated areas
Prolonged skin contact may cause irritation

These are your typical warnings for most products, providing you are taking reasonable care in using them and not eating or drinking them, todays products are safe to use by the average lay person and for the environment.