PDA

View Full Version : 48 degrees too cold to use PC?

Pages : [1] 2

nathansdad04
11-16-2006, 12:02 AM
My PC is arriving soon. It is supposed to be 48 degrees and sunny when I plan to use my new PC.
Is this warm enough? I don`t really have access to a heated garage, so this may be my only chance to polish before the weather gets really cold.

audiboy
11-16-2006, 12:12 AM
I wouldn`t think it would be too cold to use, but I think it will take a lot longer for the products to break down or set up.

nathansdad04
11-16-2006, 12:59 AM
What would you guess is `a lot longer`? My car is black so I`m assuming it would warm the polish a little being in the sun.
I`ve got a couple questions also about polishing....

I`ve got mostly light very light swirls and cobwebbing, do I use SSR1 first to see if it does the trick THEN go to SSR2 if swirls weren`t removed with the SSR1?

2` X 2` area at a time?

Which Lake Country pad for each of the PB polishes?
Is Pro Polish a finer polish than the SSR1? If so, should I use the PP immediately after each panel is done or wait til the car is complete then repeat polishing the car with the PP?

audiboy
11-16-2006, 01:10 AM
I couldn`t really put a time on it. It all depends on buffing speed, pad, and product.

If you have light swirls and cobwebbing, I would start off with SSR1 and a polishing pad. If that doesn`t work, move up to SSR2 with the polishing or light cut pad. You always want to work in a small area at a time(2`x2` is fine). If I were you, I would wait until you are done with the SSR`s before I go to PP. It`s a lot easier to work with one product at a time.

Pro Polish does not have any abrasives in it, while SSR1 has a light abrasive power.

Hope this helped.

nathansdad04
11-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Do I start out with a slow speed (2-3) to spread the polish then 5-6 to actually do the polishing?
How much polish do I put on the pad? In the video I saw..they used a quarter sized amount for 2` X 2` area.
How do I know when the polish is completely broken down?

cwcad
11-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Here is a link to a definitive tutorial of polishing. It is from BlkYukon who is a very adept user of the PC and a forum member of this site. It is the process that I now employ and see results everytime. Read learn and practice using the methods described and you will have the shiniest Black vehicle anywhere around. Good Luck!!

Paint Care & Detailing (http://melncal.com/detailing/hazing.html)

Poorboy
11-16-2006, 08:27 AM
48 is warm for some people :) No problems at all !!!

I would start with the SSR2 if you see webbing and swirls in most lighting..(I probably would have started with SSR2.5) ....use a polishing pad (white for Lake Country) and spread at speed 2-3 , then crank it up to 5-6 and work it until it disappears...don`t worry about using too much product to start so you make sure the pad gets primed with the product, you don`t want to use a dry pad as it will cause its` own swirls. Each pass you will need less product...
If after a pass or two you see you need to step up, then go to a light cutting pad (orange) and repeat...then follow with SSR1 on a finishing pad (either black or blue) using the same steps. DO NOT use a cutting pad with SSR1 ...it will cause more damage than good, it`s a finishing polish ...:2santa

nathansdad04
11-16-2006, 03:11 PM
I don`t see the swirls unless it`s bright out and I`m at the right angle. I do have 2 or 3 places that got marred (nose and tail of the car).
Do I use a gray or white Lake country pad for the SSR1?
And an orange pad for the SSR2 and 2.5?

If PP has no abrasives at all, how does it work?

budman3
11-16-2006, 03:48 PM
I use a white polishing pad for all SSRs (that is with Lake Country, color varies between companies). Because of the abrasives of the cutting pads, I don`t want to induce any extra micromarring into the paint so I just don`t use one with the SSRs; especially SSR2.5. I think a lot of people make this mistake. They go out with a brand new bottle of SSR2.5 thinking it`ll remove all swirls and scratches. They use a cutting pad with the PC and use the improper amount, not the right pressure, don`t work it in long enough and the finish is far from being swirl free. User error plain and simple.

Using a polishing pad, a small bead of product around the pad, light pressure, and working the product until it is barely visible will yeild great results, IMO

Don`t be afraid if you use SSR1 or 2 and the color doesn`t wash out, you now have a pad designated for that product. The pad will be fine :).

As for the PP, it is a chemical cleaner. With a polishing pad it`ll clean up and oils or other crud on the paint leaving it perfectlly clean for a sealant or wax to adhere to the paint. Now if you use a cutting pad and a rotory with the PP, it`ll get abrasive because of the pads` abrasiveness. So for the cutting ability it is pad dependent. PP will also clean up windows, polish metal, clean the paint, etc. Very versitile IMO.

Poorboy
11-16-2006, 04:00 PM
I use a white polishing pad for all SSRs (that is with Lake Country, color varies between companies). Because of the abrasives of the cutting pads, I don`t want to induce any extra micromarring into the paint so I just don`t use one with the SSRs; especially SSR2.5. I think a lot of people make this mistake. They go out with a brand new bottle of SSR2.5 thinking it`ll remove all swirls and scratches. They use a cutting pad with the PC and use the improper amount, not the right pressure, don`t work it in long enough and the finish is far from being swirl free. User error plain and simple.

Using a polishing pad, a small bead of product around the pad, light pressure, and working the product until it is barely visible will yeild great results, IMO

Don`t be afraid if you use SSR1 or 2 and the color doesn`t wash out, you now have a pad designated for that product. The pad will be fine :).

As for the PP, it is a chemical cleaner. With a polishing pad it`ll clean up and oils or other crud on the paint leaving it perfectlly clean for a sealant or wax to adhere to the paint. Now if you use a cutting pad and a rotory with the PP, it`ll get abrasive because of the pads` abrasiveness. So for the cutting ability it is pad dependent. PP will also clean up windows, polish metal, clean the paint, etc. Very versitile IMO.
I agree with everything said above...also remember that swirls don`t always disappear on your first pass, sometimes it takes a few passes or more ;)

sillywilly88
11-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Would letting the Container of polish sit in hot water for 10 or 15 minutes before using it help at all? It`s around 42 deg around Vancouver, BC lately and will get colder!

nathansdad04
11-16-2006, 09:58 PM
I`ve got 1 white pad coming and 1 gray pad also. Can I use the gray pad also? Unfortunately, it would take another week to get more pads.
What was meant by needing more `passes` to get the swirls out? Do you mean I might need to do the same 2` X 2` area again using the same polish?
It may seem like a dumb question, but will the sunlight be enough light for me to see that I`ve removed the swirls? Or should I hold a strong light over each panel to make sure the swirls are gone?

Poorboy
11-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Would letting the Container of polish sit in hot water for 10 or 15 minutes before using it help at all? It`s around 42 deg around Vancouver, BC lately and will get colder!
not really because the finish of the car would still be cold ...I`m also not sure what it would do to the polish :confused:

Poorboy
11-16-2006, 10:02 PM
I`ve got 1 white pad coming and 1 gray pad also. Can I use the gray pad also? Unfortunately, it would take another week to get more pads.
What was meant by needing more `passes` to get the swirls out? Do you mean I might need to do the same 2` X 2` area again using the same polish?
It may seem like a dumb question, but will the sunlight be enough light for me to see that I`ve removed the swirls? Or should I hold a strong light over each panel to make sure the swirls are gone?

I`m not sure what the grey pad is but I will go and check it out ...

Yes going over the same area is what is meant by more passes..

I particularly prefer to use sunlight...many people get 5000 watts of halogens and look for swirls..personally I believe that no one exept yourself would benefit from getting that intense as everyone else will only see your car outdoors in the sunlight:cool:

sillywilly88
11-16-2006, 10:21 PM
not really because the finish of the car would still be cold ...I`m also not sure what it would do to the polish :confused:

That`s too bad. I`m trying to be creative though so how about if I directed the warmth from a 1200 Watt hair dryer towards the car from about a foot away, one section at a time before I work on it. :confused: