PDA

View Full Version : RDF 49 and polycharger...

Pages : [1] 2

wannafbody
10-23-2006, 08:51 PM
What`s your opinion? Is this line the Holy Grail of automotive detailing destined to make all other product lines obsolete?

CharlesW
10-23-2006, 09:05 PM
What`s your opinion? Is this line the Holy Grail of automotive detailing destined to make all other product lines obsolete?
While I have no idea what you are talking about, I feel quite comfortable in saying that it is no more the Holy Grail of automotive detailing than the 100`s of other miracle products that have been introduced over the years. :)
The only thing in my statement that I have any question about is my use of 100`s of products. Probably should have been 1000`s. :)

Charles

Black Altima
10-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Since you asked...

I have been researching Zaino and looking for a system for my black cars. Some of my research led me to read about RDF and Polycharger on Autopia and here is what I have concluded from reading the forums and talking with others.

1. I think Polycharger is a Zaino ZFX copycat. It certainly isn`t revolutionary. In September the guy pimping the stuff said he wasn`t sure if he wanted to get into the booster business yet he bought the name polycharger.com back in August:

Autopia Car Detailing Forum - Red DOT Formula #49 (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73337&page=19&pp=12&highlight=booster)

Post #221 09-15-06, 11:27

"I`m not sure I want to get into the "booster" business, but it is interesting to see our chemicals mix with just about everything and achieve much better durability results. Only time and testing will tell how RDF49 stands up in the real-world."

Domain Name.......... polycharger.com
Creation Date........ 2006-08-24
Registration Date.... 2006-08-24
Expiry Date.......... 2011-08-24
Organisation Name.... David Bynon
Organisation Address. 527 Liverpool Drive
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Cardiff
Organisation Address. 92007
Organisation Address. CA
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

I think back on 8/24/2006 he decided to get into the booster business and all this other stuff is a line of BS to generate hype. Good job!

2. I think RDF is Four Star trying to reinvent themselves under a new name since the online popularity of the Four Star name seams to have fizzled out on the forums.

3. I think some people are just Kool-Aid drinkers and will buy anything that`s offered to them.

Of course these are just my opinions based on my observations. I read the online forums alot and I know the product is just in the testing phase. It could be great stuff but for some reason think that it may be similar to what we have used before, just with a different sales pitch.

wannafbody
10-23-2006, 10:07 PM
well, I`m open minded but since I`ve used Zaino and Duragloss this RDF 49 really needs to be superb stuff to even be in the same leaque. I quess the beta testing will be the ultimate judge of durability.

Mikeyc
10-23-2006, 10:30 PM
1. I think Polycharger is a Zaino ZFX copycat. It certainly isn`t revolutionary.

I`m not a Zaino user, but I thought ZFX`s function was to cause the Zaino sealants to cure faster for layering. Does it add durability to the sealant? My understanding from skimming some of the Polycharger threads is that it makes whatever sealant you add it to much more durable.

Anyway, a lot of the hype surrounding RDF49 and the Polycharger seems to revolve for the most part around durability. Personally, if there were a product out there that you could apply once to your car and it protected it forever I would never buy it. I could make a laundry list of reasons as to why extended durability is meaningless to me, but it all comes down to the fact that I really enjoy washing my car weekly and waxing it monthly. I find it fun & relaxing. Plus, I`ve yet to find a sealant that from my perspective can match the eye pleasing look of a good carnauba.

CharlesW
10-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Personally, if there were a product out there that you could apply once to your car and it protected it forever I would never buy it. I could make a laundry list of reasons as to why extended durability is meaningless to me, but it all comes down to the fact that I really enjoy washing my car weekly and waxing it monthly. I find it fun & relaxing.Glad to read this. My sentiments as well. It seems like I wash at least one of our vehicles three times a week and enjoy it each time. Weird, huh?
I consider car care my golf. It probably costs less and certainly is less frustrating.

Charles

wannafbody
10-24-2006, 07:44 AM
ZFX is a cure accellerator and acts like a hardner as well.

Black Altima
10-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Quoted from the Zaino website:

In simple terms, ZFX™ vastly improves paint surface appearance and increases polish durability.

First, I want to laugh at the fact that they say polish and not sealant. I wonder how many people are gonna try to use ZFX to increase the "durability" of polishes like Optimum Polish, products that polish the paint but offer no protection in the first place.

Second, like I said, I think Polycharger is copying Zaino ZFX.

The Chee
10-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Marketing geniushttp://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Content/w%E9w%E9-158.gifhttp://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Content/%5Eo%5E.gif

JaredPointer
10-24-2006, 10:47 AM
First, I want to laugh at the fact that they say polish and not sealant. I wonder how many people are gonna try to use ZFX to increase the "durability" of polishes like Optimum Polish, products that polish the paint but offer no protection in the first place.

Why laugh? They`re not the only company that does it. Other lines call their "sealants" polishes. It`s up to the consumer to educate themselves regarding use and application - and not only in the car care area either.

Second, like I said, I think Polycharger is copying Zaino ZFX.

Again, this is not the only company that has a "bonding agent" or "durability enhancing" product. Does that mean everyone who has a similar product is copying Zaino? Doubtful.

Black Altima
10-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Why laugh?

Because I think it`s funny. It`s funny because so many companies add to consumer confusion when they could have used a word sealant that better describes the said product, like sealant instead of polish. Sure, other companies may do it too, but in this case I wasn`t quoting other companies.

Again, this is not the only company that has a "bonding agent" or "durability enhancing" product. Does that mean everyone who has a similar product is copying Zaino? Doubtful.

So who else sells a bonding agent? Like I said, I`m somewhat new to the detailing world so I am just basing my opinion on what I have read and who I have talked to so far. Feel free to educate me on the various bonding agents that are available and I will be happy to learn more about them and adjust my opinions accordingly.

Mikeyc
10-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Why laugh? They`re not the only company that does it. Other lines call their "sealants" polishes. It`s up to the consumer to educate themselves regarding use and application - and not only in the car care area either.

Not to go too far OT, but I do think it`s unfortunate that there is not a standard verbiage used across the car care industry.

Black Altima
10-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Not to go too far OT, but I do think it`s unfortunate that there is not a standard verbiage used across the car care industry.

My point exactly with my comments regarding the word "polish".

It is used as both a noun and a verb and as a noun, has numerous definitions depending on who you are talking to.

"I am going to polish my car."

"I used a polish to remove swirls."

"I put a coat of Zaino polish on my paint.

Mikeyc
10-24-2006, 12:00 PM
My point exactly with my comments regarding the word "polish".

It is used as both a noun and a verb and as a noun, has numerous definitions depending on who you are talking to.

"I am going to polish my car."

"I used a polish to remove swirls."

"I put a coat of Zaino polish on my paint.

I don`t really have a problem that it`s used as a noun and a verb. The word wax is used that way too. Where the problem lies IMO is that the same term can have different meanings. Just concentrating on the noun versions of the word, here are 3 different meanings companies use the word polish for . . .

1. A synthetic wax which adds a protective coating over the paint to guard against damage from the environment.

2. An abrasive liquid which is used either by hand or machine to level paint.

3. A non-abrasive liquid with fillers and oils used to fill scratches and other defects while at the same time giving the paint a wet look.

AL-53
10-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Polish is a old school word..years ago every thing besides wax was called polish....there was blue coral polish..which was actually a sealant..and a 2 step at that..came in blue bottles...and was hell to remove if you let it set to long...

Liquid Glass is called a polish..but a sealant

Astro shield is called a polish and a sealant...

some of the European stuff is called polish but a sealant

it is just product verbiage....

another is Klasse sealant glaze....is it a glaze...

also Duragloss makes a sealant called a polish...

plus they also make a bonding agent ...called Polish Bonding Agent....

now getting into standard verbiage....is a swirl mark remover a polish or a swirl mark remover and not a polish.

there will never be a standard to what a company calls their products...

Meg`s is another company that totally confuses you...If I said I used Quick Detailer on my car today...you would probally think I used a QD spray...but in fact it is a cleaner/wax ...

auto care product naming will always be confussing...it is marketing..

sorry to go off topic also....

Al