PDA

View Full Version : Update on the scratches from hell!

Bobcat
10-22-2006, 04:56 PM
I started a thread a few days ago looking for help on a BMW with real bad scratches in the clear coat, not bad enough to catch your fingernail, but it looked like someone tried to clean some spots with a brillo pad. I had tried XMT #3 with an LC yellow pad, 3 passes and still not much better. I ordered some Meg`s #85, #84 and # 1; since #1 was the next step up I tried it first. PC w/yellow pad, 3 passes and it was some better but the polish was dusting up and I decided OK lets see what #84 can do. Let me state my technigue is to apply polish to the pad, smear it on the scratch, then start the PC on 4 - then bump to 6 after about 10 seconds, work the crap out of it till it`s gone with as much pressure as I can manage (I ain`t "Arnold" ok) So, after 3 passes it was working, the #84 was much nicer smelling and didn`t dust at all. Did I mention that I started on this at 10:00 pm Friday night? OK, after about an hour, I decided to go with the wool pad. Worked much better, the way I finally got the scratches out - well all but 2 and they are very hard to see, was to leave the PC over the scratch for one minute - again with all the force my tired butt could manage at this point. At 1:30 am, I had the car looking dull, but scratchless. Started Saturday at 8:30 am, washed with Dawn, dried, used WG clay, followed by WG swirl remover w/orange pad, then WG glaze w/white pad and finally WG sealer w/blue pad. While the sealer cured I did the glass and wheels/tires. At 3:00pm the owner and his wife came over. They were impressed! She said she was worried that when he bought that car - all their friends would see the paint and think they got one that had been total`d! He was so happy he gave me a 20 dollar tip! And they both promised to send more business my way, first thing is her SUV.

Summary:
You can get results from a PC with #84, but it takes time - lots of time and a strong back. Anybody that finds themself in a situation like mine would be MUCH better off getting a rotary. I didn`t come close to messing up the guys` paint - I know some forum members had doubts. I learned NOT to be scared to use the strong stuff and work the PC at it`s limits. I`d say that unless you`re dealing with paint that has no clear coat - like it`s been buffed out 2-3 times before, there`s little chance to screw up. BUT! using a PC to correct anything but minor swirls and water spots is asking for a workout. I`m just a part time detailer, trying to earn a few bucks and all my business comes from word of mouth. I`m afraid that there will be other cars with "issues" and I will not go through that pain again, nor will I turn away business, instead, I`m getting a Makita rotary, well - actually my wife is buying one for me! Time is money and rotary`s do a better job anyway.

Jen@autogeek
10-23-2006, 06:53 AM
Great write up. :) I hope you got a nice meal and a massage after it was all said and done! Man, that was an insane amount of work. Thank you for sharing your experience and showing what the PC is capable of. :)

Bobcat
10-24-2006, 03:12 PM
I`m surprised no one else had anything to say, my big regret is not having pictures.

sneek
10-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Isn`t #84 a rotary only product?

CharlesW
10-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Isn`t #84 a rotary only product?
According to Meguiar`s it is.
There was quite a lot of discussion on just that subject in this thread.

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/paint-cleaners-polishes-compounds-swirl-removers/19834-need-help-thanks.html

Several of us told him he was probably making a mistake in his choice of products to use with the PC.
It seems he was right all along and all of us naysayers really didn`t know what we were talking about.
Just proves that the only way to be sure how a product will perform is to use it.
It worked for him and that`s all that really matters.

Charles

Bobcat
10-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Thanks Charles! I`m sure #84 would have work much better with a rotary as I`m still a little sore in the chest from working the PC. Here`s another tip - haven`t tried yet but according to the guy on properautocare.com -#3 Machine Glaze - "Apply by orbital or dual action polisher" and Meg`s directions say rotary only. My point is you can use a shovel to dig the ditch and it will be fine, rent a backhoe and it will take much less time but you have to know what you`re doing. My shoveling days are OVER, the PC will be used to do light work, not heavy corrections!

CharlesW
10-25-2006, 09:13 AM
My concern about your product choice wasn`t because of the work involved.
It was because I didn`t think the abrasives in some of those products would break down with the PC. Evidently that was not a problem for you.
Many products have abrasives that "break down" and become finer as the product is worked. Heat is a big factor in that "break down" process and I didn`t think you would develop that heat with the PC.

Charles

budman3
10-25-2006, 10:26 AM
My concern about your product choice wasn`t because of the work involved.
It was because I didn`t think the abrasives in some of those products would break down with the PC. Evidently that was not a problem for you.
Many products have abrasives that "break down" and become finer as the product is worked. Heat is a big factor in that "break down" process and I didn`t think you would develop that heat with the PC.

Charles

It either wasn`t a problem, it isn`t apparent, or the polishes after could have cleaned up the marring from the "unbroken down" polish. I think that was the case because he said the paint was scratchless but dull. I think the purpose of all diminishing abrasives is to have an abrasive product to remove marring and with time finish down to a swirlfree finish.
In this case the product probably didn`t get to the lower abrasives hence the dull finish. Just my speculation though. The WG swirl remover then removed the dullness to the finish that you got it to. As junebug said, it just creates more work.

Bobcat
10-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Well, I did create some heat, try holding a PC on 6 in the same spot with a death grip for 2-3 minutes and you will create a nice warm surface, not really hot, but warm. I have no doubts that a rotary would have made short work of it, the scratches looked bad but were not like a cat scratch, they were like a brillo pad scratch, nothing that would catch your fingernail on. I have to say that BMW has a nice hard and thick clear coat, at least this one did. Hey, here`s another thing I`d love to hear opinions on from ya`ll, I`m getting the Makita with a 4.75" backing plate (from LC via Autogeek) so my 6.5" LC pads will work. I asked about this on another forum and got a lot of "oh no - you got get 7.5" pads!) fine - I`ll use all you send me!