PDA

View Full Version : Confused???

KC Steve
10-19-2006, 01:52 PM
I am new to the whole PC detailing thing and am looking for direction regarding which products are a best fit for purpose.

My truck is a black 2005 with mico-marring due to previous washing and drying techniques and some minor scuffs or light scatches (dog nails). I have purchased Edge 2000 6" DA pads and currently have (but not used) the Mequiar`s DC steps 1 and 2 and NXT wax.

Does this seem like a reasonable start for a first timer given the condition of the paint. It is outside 24/7, I plan to wash and clay the vehicle first.

Thanks for your patience as I have searched and read but I get real confused by all the product options.

Steve

GearHead_1
10-19-2006, 02:09 PM
I am new to the whole PC detailing thing and am looking for direction regarding which products are a best fit for purpose.

My truck is a black 2005 with mico-marring due to previous washing and drying techniques and some minor scuffs or light scatches (dog nails). I have purchased Edge 2000 6" DA pads and currently have (but not used) the Mequiar`s DC steps 1 and 2 and NXT wax.

Does this seem like a reasonable start for a first timer given the condition of the paint. It is outside 24/7, I plan to wash and clay the vehicle first.

Thanks for your patience as I have searched and read but I get real confused by all the product options.

Steve
It isn`t a bad start at all. You`ve picked a good machine and Meguiars makes decent products too. Depending upon how badly the vehicle`s marring is you may find that you need to step up to a more aggressive polish than what comes in their 123 kit. You also didn`t say what color pad you have. By the way Edge pads are my favorites. Often times beginners start with the wrong pad for the intended purpose. The end result is that they make more work for themselves. Knowing this will give others a chance for some real qualified feed back.

KC Steve
10-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks, I got a kit that has 5 pads, yellow, green, blue, orange and white. Again these are Edge colors. My thoughts were to start with the orange or (light cutting) pad. I wanted to err on the side of less aggressive and change products or pads as needed.

Kit includes:
6 inch Yellow Cutting Pad
6 inch Green Medium Cutting Pad
6 inch Orange Light Cutting Pad
6 inch Blue Finishing Pad
6 inch White Ultra-fine Polishing Pad
2 Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths
FREE Edge 2000 Quick Connect Dual Action Adapter
12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner
12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner
2 Cobra 70/30 Microfiber Bonnets

Steve

GearHead_1
10-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks, I got a kit that has 5 pads, yellow, green, blue, orange and white. Again these are Edge colors. My thoughts were to start with the orange or (light cutting) pad. I wanted to err on the side of less aggressive and change products or pads as needed.

Kit includes:
6 inch Yellow Cutting Pad
6 inch Green Medium Cutting Pad
6 inch Orange Light Cutting Pad
6 inch Blue Finishing Pad
6 inch White Ultra-fine Polishing Pad
2 Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths
FREE Edge 2000 Quick Connect Dual Action Adapter
12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner
12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner
2 Cobra 70/30 Microfiber Bonnets

SteveYou are starting right where I would pad wise. You`ll know in short order whether Meguiar`s OTC compound is up to the task at hand or not. If not take a look at PoorBoy`s line of polishes. They are well liked and easy to use products. Start with their less aggressive polishes maybe a bottle of 2.5 and 1.0 should Meguiars 123 system come up short. I`m sounding pretty negative here and I don`t mean to be. They make work very well for your needs. I believe that Pinnacles XMT polishes are also worth a look though I have yet to try them. I actually have them sitting on a shelf next to me and look forward to using them.

KC Steve
10-19-2006, 08:23 PM
GH,

Thanks for the thoughts. I went with the Meguiar`s because it was available locally and I had not gotten educated enough when I bought the pads to order the polish too. If the 123 does not work then on to PB`s.

Wish me luck,

Steve

GearHead_1
10-19-2006, 08:41 PM
GH,

Thanks for the thoughts. I went with the Meguiar`s because it was available locally and I had not gotten educated enough when I bought the pads to order the polish too. If the 123 does not work then on to PB`s.

Wish me luck,

Steve

Good luck, I`ll bet it turns out great.

BLACKWRX
10-19-2006, 11:34 PM
my main products for the pc:
optimum polish/ compound (use a little, a little little), it can get thick and hazy, heavy swirling and scratches
poorboys ssr2.5.....amazing product great for light to moderate swirling
pinnacle liquid wax, great for the pc, a little goes a long way(if not on sale expensive)
mothers carnuba liquid wax 5.99 for a big bottle, its a great all around durable wax that wont breakdown with the pc
the nxt products in my opinion break downs quickly with the pc, but by hand a the nxt liquid wax goes on and off with ease
make sure you have a yellow, orange, white, and gray pad
good luck and have fun....the pc is a great machine to learn on

scratches and deep deep swirls and overspray will not come out with the pc, you need a rotory for this (i have a makita)

KC Steve
10-20-2006, 07:14 AM
I dopn`t have any deep damage so the PC should work well. I am not interested in going to a rotary, in my case that is best left to the experts if I ever need one.....Great site and thanks for the help. I`ll post pics when I get this all done.

Steve

KC Steve
10-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Update: Decided to order the PB2.5 and 1.0, as well as, the Natty blue. I am waiting on a decent weekend weatherwise to give it a try. I will start on my wife`s 01` suburban (told her I would detail as a B-day gift :ladies , really want to practice before I go onto to my black, 05` 2500 HD P/U):hail .

I hope to post pics at some point.

Thanks for the help and insight.

SS

GearHead_1
10-27-2006, 11:04 AM
I hope to post pics at some point.

Thanks for the help and insight.

SS

Looking forward to seeing them.

BLACKWRX
10-30-2006, 04:12 PM
you got a great combo you will love the results, just dont be timid with the pc, you can crank it right up 6, its very very hard to mess up with the pc just use common sense......good luck cant wait for the pics