PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP! Thanks

Pages : [1] 2

Bobcat
10-13-2006, 06:12 AM
A friend came over with his new (to him) BMW 325. It`s a couple years old, interior perfect and tires good. Problem is there are major scratches in the paint, white paint. It looks like someone scrubbed places on the hood with a bug spronge full of grits. I wiped part of the hood down with WG pre-polish cleaner and a MF towel then I hit it (three times) with XMT #3 and a yellow pad (LC) with the PC -start on 3.5 then 6 till the polish was gone. It looked better but the some scratches were still there. I tried the wool pad and WG swirl remover, 3.5 then 6 on the PC til it dusted. Better still but not totally removed. OK, I`m ready to go medival on this - plan to get Megs #84 or #85 and hit it agin, I`m looking for suggestions, buying a rotary is not an option at this point, thanks anyway, so do ya`ll think a PC and the Megs will do? Also, the guy says not to worry, if I can`t get it out he`ll have it repainted ( money talks I guess) Thanks a bunch for your quick replies, I have to get something and be ready by next Sat to do this Beemer.

Brenton
10-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Can you feel the scratches with your finger?

Stephan
10-13-2006, 07:31 AM
I agree, I beleive the general rule of thumb is if it catches in your finger nail, it needs paint work to correct it. I have the XMT line, and while its decent I don`t find it strong enough for scratches.

CharlesW
10-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Keep in mind that you don`t "remove" scratches.
You bring the surrounding paint down to the level of the scratches.
As has been mentioned, the finger nail test is a pretty good indication of when the damage may require paint work.

Charles

Bobcat
10-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Sorry, I should have stated that you can`t "catch" your fingernail on the scratchs. They`re just very visable and make the paint look dull and hazy. Looked like Beavis and Butthead tried to clean it. I ordered some 85,84 and 1 along with #7 glaze. I have WG sealer and Natty`s Blue, ass-u-ming I can get the scratches out, which LSP would ya`ll suggest?

CharlesW
10-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Sorry, I should have stated that you can`t "catch" your fingernail on the scratchs. They`re just very visable and make the paint look dull and hazy. Looked like Beavis and Butthead tried to clean it. I ordered some 85,84 and 1 along with #7 glaze. I have WG sealer and Natty`s Blue, ass-u-ming I can get the scratches out, which LSP would ya`ll suggest?You might want to check, but Meguiar`s #85, #84, and #1 used to be for rotary use and may not break down with a PC. #1 was reformulated and it may be suitable for use with a random orbital, but I would want to be sure before I used it.

Charles

Beemerboy
10-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Sorry, I should have stated that you can`t "catch" your fingernail on the scratchs. They`re just very visable and make the paint look dull and hazy. Looked like Beavis and Butthead tried to clean it. I ordered some 85,84 and 1 along with #7 glaze. I have WG sealer and Natty`s Blue, ass-u-ming I can get the scratches out, which LSP would ya`ll suggest?

Where you will improve the scratches with a PC, this sounds like it might be a job for a rotary.....and maybe some wet sanding...on the BMW that I brought there were some scratches on the hood right by the windshield, where the wipers connect to the car....to me it looked like a cat had slept there....wet sanding lightly and a rotary with SSR2.5 and a cutting pad took them out....I polished after that and they where gone.

Bobcat
10-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks Mr. Beemer, what grade sand paper did you use? I`ll get some, but I want to try the Megs first - yellow pad, or wool - maybe both, before I give up and wet sand.

Beemerboy
10-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks Mr. Beemer, what grade sand paper did you use? I`ll get some, but I want to try the Megs first - yellow pad, or wool - maybe both, before I give up and wet sand.

I use 400 grit 3M paper...its like a finger nail board grit....for me wet sanding I want the very least grit that I can have to start with...you can cut threw the clear pretty fast

Bobcat
10-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Wow, 400 - that`s pretty strong. I thought you were talking about 1200 or so, did you use a block or just free-hand?

Beemerboy
10-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Wow, 400 - that`s pretty strong. I thought you were talking about 1200 or so, did you use a block or just free-hand?

I think that 3M has there own scale because this is real fine...much like 1200 or greater..that`s my guess

Bobcat
10-13-2006, 12:22 PM
OK, got it Thanks, I`m thinking of going by my old boss (auto-body shop) and see if he has some "extras" - not like I didn`t earn a few tokens of appreciation. And Thanks to DETAIL CITY - you guys are great, I appreciate you helping a guy out.

Beemerboy
10-13-2006, 12:42 PM
OK, got it Thanks, I`m thinking of going by my old boss (auto-body shop) and see if he has some "extras" - not like I didn`t earn a few tokens of appreciation. And Thanks to DETAIL CITY - you guys are great, I appreciate you helping a guy out.

Glad that I can help and good luck

Bobcat
10-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Well, talked to my old boss, he thought some 2000 grit - block sanding and then some polish. He uses 3M Perfect II - what Megs product comes the closest to that?

dr_detail
10-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Megs #2 or #6