PDA

View Full Version : Black stains on steering wheel

Jen@autogeek
10-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Alright guys and gals! I need a little help on this one. I`m currently detailing a black VW bug. It is an absolute mess inside and out! I`ve been working on it for one and a half days already and it`s still far from over. (I don`t know how you do it Justin!! Teach me your secrets!! ) Anyway. He his steering wheel has vinyl and that plastic that is supposed to look like brushed metal. He has what looks like black pen ink on the plastic part. I have used every cleaner in my arsenal and cannot get it off! It`s like it dyed the plastic. Does anybody know anything that can get this stuff off? All replies are greatly appreciated.

Beemerboy
10-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Alright guys and gals! I need a little help on this one. I`m currently detailing a black VW bug. It is an absolute mess inside and out! I`ve been working on it for one and a half days already and it`s still far from over. (I don`t know how you do it Justin!! Teach me your secrets!! ) Anyway. He his steering wheel has vinyl and that plastic that is supposed to look like brushed metal. He has what looks like black pen ink on the plastic part. I have used every cleaner in my arsenal and cannot get it off! It`s like it dyed the plastic. Does anybody know anything that can get this stuff off? All replies are greatly appreciated.

If its pan ink you might have some luck with hair spray...Xient by Stoners is another but real hard with out seeing them

budman3
10-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Have you tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?? If you tried a lot of cleaners I wouldn`t have any other suggestions.

Jen@autogeek
10-03-2006, 03:47 PM
If its pan ink you might have some luck with hair spray...Xient by Stoners is another but real hard with out seeing them

Yeah, sorry I don`t have a pic to show you. I`m like in the dinosaur era with my camera. :( I`ll give the hair spray a try. Thank you for your reply. :)

joe.p
10-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi Jen,I have come to realize not everything will be a 100% when detailing be very careful and aware of the products and process..

ALBANY, NY — A British supermarket`s survey showing the average car`s steering wheel is twice as dirty as a toilet seat prompted the Times Union (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=517449&category=LIFE&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=9/18/2006) to seek advice from auto detailers.

I just read this in an Email from carwash magazine. 2X as dirty as a Toilet Seat. I beleive it at work we get a different vehicle everyday and some of the guys carry some type of quick wipes just for the stearing wheel.

I know a little off topic but interesting to say the least..

detailz
10-03-2006, 06:06 PM
He his steering wheel has vinyl and that plastic that is supposed to look like brushed metal. He has what looks like black pen ink on the plastic part.[/COLOR]

Any chance it is exposed plastic under the color? Tough to imagine all your attempts were fruitless. Good luck.

Big Leegr
10-04-2006, 02:46 AM
Any chance it is exposed plastic under the color? Tough to imagine all your attempts were fruitless. Good luck.
That`s what I was thinking.

Beemerboy
10-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Hi Jen,I have come to realize not everything will be a 100% when detailing be very careful and aware of the products and process

Joe this is great advice, I can`t tell you how many times that I have labored over something thinking, why will this stain / spot not come out....I to have come to realize that you can`t bring back everything to 100% new looking...I tell some customers that I am a detailer, not a magician:yay

joe.p
10-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Joe this is great advice, I can`t tell you how many times that I have labored over something thinking, why will this stain / spot not come out....I to have come to realize that you can`t bring back everything to 100% new looking...I tell some customers that I am a detailer, not a magician:yay Beemer Thanks

Jen@autogeek
10-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Joe this is great advice, I can`t tell you how many times that I have labored over something thinking, why will this stain / spot not come out....I to have come to realize that you can`t bring back everything to 100% new looking...I tell some customers that I am a detailer, not a magician:yay

Yeah that`s pretty much where I`m at! I tried my absolute best and like you said some things just don`t come out. It looks a ton better than it did before and I`m sure the owner will be happy. :)

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. :)