PDA

View Full Version : Ugh. Oxidized Red Paint

Laurel
09-28-2006, 02:19 PM
So I bought a beautiful red corvette last weekend, it`s 20 years old and has what I originally thought to be mild oxidation on the hood. I was wrong.

It`s blotchy, and pretty bad news. Well, when i got it home, I eagerly ripped into my detail box to grab bottle after bottle of exciting product to make the paint like new again. Well, my ex roommate stole all of my really good stuff. That piece of xxxx.

So, I ran to the auto parts store, and grabbed a bottle of Meg`s color-x and a new bottle of fine cut cleaner to begin tackleing the job. I figured I`d try the color x, and if that didn`t work, hit it with medium, then fine cut cleaner to remove the blotchiness and uncover the beauty underneath. Well, my buffer`s broken, and after quite a bit of elbow grease, it only got marginally better. I`m considering having it professionally detailed, just because there`s a host of other problems that are more pressing for me to address in my free time.

Is there a product that will work safely but actually work, or should I fork out the money and have it done professionally? If so, does anyone know of any inexpensive guys to go with in the Seattle area?

TIA

Bigs
09-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Pictures would be a good start to give us an idea of the problem...

But time is the key in detailing! If you don`t have time, then get it done by a pro... Cheap doesn`t always mean good!

Beemerboy
09-28-2006, 03:39 PM
So I bought a beautiful red corvette last weekend, it`s 20 years old and has what I originally thought to be mild oxidation on the hood. I was wrong.

It`s blotchy, and pretty bad news. Well, when i got it home, I eagerly ripped into my detail box to grab bottle after bottle of exciting product to make the paint like new again. Well, my ex roommate stole all of my really good stuff. That piece of xxxx.

So, I ran to the auto parts store, and grabbed a bottle of Meg`s color-x and a new bottle of fine cut cleaner to begin tackleing the job. I figured I`d try the color x, and if that didn`t work, hit it with medium, then fine cut cleaner to remove the blotchiness and uncover the beauty underneath. Well, my buffer`s broken, and after quite a bit of elbow grease, it only got marginally better. I`m considering having it professionally detailed, just because there`s a host of other problems that are more pressing for me to address in my free time.

Is there a product that will work safely but actually work, or should I fork out the money and have it done professionally? If so, does anyone know of any inexpensive guys to go with in the Seattle area?

TIA

Question...when you where cleaning the car was the color coming off on the rags? I`m wondering if its single stage paint.

This will make some difference in what would be the best way to attack by hand...it really sounds to me that this is a PC or rotary job your going to need some heat to remove the top layer IF that`s what needs to be done....pics would be real helpful as suggested

CharlesW
09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Question...when you where cleaning the car was the color coming off on the rags? I`m wondering if its single stage paint.
An `86 should be basecoat/clearcoat paint.
The "blotchy" description makes me wonder if it could have some clearcoat failure. :(

Charles

Brenton
09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
^me too.

I find red oxization comes off with either:
1. Wool+rotary+medium cut compound after wash, clay (sometimes feels useless on oxidization) and tar treatment. Followed by foam pad treatment.
or
2. Chemical polish (PB PP or KAIO etc.) plus whatever grade pad necessary.

Maxima Lover
09-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Without a machine (PC or rotery) you`re going to have very tired arms and not be too happy with the end result. If you are really pressed for time, pay a detailer (a real one). If you really are going to have time, it might be worth it to pick up a PC and some pads and do it yourself. Then you`ll have it for future use.

I actually love working on red cars with oxidation. The owners are about ready to have it repainted and I can come in and make it look 100X better in just a couple of hours. They are just amazed.

Laurel
09-28-2006, 06:23 PM
From what I hear, it`s supposed to be dual stage paint, but when hitting it with anything slightly abrasive, red comes off. The top half of the doors(above the molding) is a little like the hood as well, but everything else is in great shape, even on top of the back, so I don`t believe the California sun(the car spent 20 years in Cali) ruined the top half of the car.

Laurel
09-28-2006, 06:24 PM
An `86 should be basecoat/clearcoat paint.
The "blotchy" description makes me wonder if it could have some clearcoat failure. :(

Charles

it doesn`t appear as though the clearcoat peeled or came off though, not like on most cars with clearcoat missing.

I`ll snap some shots tomorrow in the sun

CharlesW
09-28-2006, 06:34 PM
it doesn`t appear as though the clearcoat peeled or came off though, not like on most cars with clearcoat missing.

I`ll snap some shots tomorrow in the sunThe first stage of clearcoat failure quite often looks like a piece of plastic wrap that is not stuck down everywhere. It first is not stuck to the base coat, then starts to actually peel away.

Charles

Laurel
10-09-2006, 12:18 PM
I took photos but they don`t show the bizarre-ness of it all. It doesn`t look like the plastic wrap, it just looks like someone applied a paint cleaner or other abrasive agent unevenly to the paint.

I did a couple small spots on the hood with my meg`s scratch-x, and they look a little better, but still not where I`d like to see the paint be at. I think I`m just going to invest in having someone professionally do it.

wannafbody
10-09-2006, 07:43 PM
many of the reds were single stage -even after most other colors were BC/CC

CharlesW
10-09-2006, 08:32 PM
A 1986 Corvette should have a paint code on the Vin and RPO tag under the rear compartment covers.
81 = Bright Red
74 = Dark Red
If it is base coat clear coat it should have the letters BC CC on the tag.

That gives you the information when the car was new.
If the car was repainted in the past 20 years, who knows what might be on it.
Since you are getting red when using a polish, you evidently don`t have a clear coat.

It is sometimes a good idea to have a professional take care of this type of problem. You could very well create more problems than you already have.

Charles

Laurel
10-11-2006, 09:50 AM
It is sometimes a good idea to have a professional take care of this type of problem. You could very well create more problems than you already have.

Charles
I think I`ll leave this to a professional. Would having the car sprayed with a few layers of clear coat be a possibility?

Bobcat
10-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Better call Maaco! LOL