PDA

View Full Version : how to keep carpet clean

p_dubs
08-18-2006, 12:39 AM
I used the following method to clean beige colored carpet:
Use woolite on any stains, scrubed carpet with nylon brush and warm water with oxy clean then wet vac, allowed at least two hours to dry. The problem I have is that the carpet picks up dirt easily afterwards. What do I have to do to keep it from staining so quickly?

Jen@autogeek
08-18-2006, 06:38 AM
Use woolite on any stains, scrubed carpet with nylon brush and warm water with oxy clean then wet vac, allowed at least two hours to dry. The problem I have is that the carpet picks up dirt easily afterwards. What do I have to do to keep it from staining so quickly?

You can use a protectant like Scotchguard or Fabrotex.

BLACKWRX
08-29-2006, 09:44 PM
+1

TrueDetailer
08-29-2006, 09:50 PM
You can use a protectant like Scotchguard or Fabrotex.

The best way to do this is to get something in liquid form and not in a aerosol can.

Clean the spots that are dirty again

Take a clean nylon brush and stroke the carpet so that all the fibers are flowing one way. Saturate tha area and stroke the brush thru the carpet the same way you just did. Doing this will make sure that you have an even coverage.

Now just repeat the other 3 directions.

Maxima Lover
08-29-2006, 10:53 PM
The best way to do this is to get something in liquid form and not in a aerosol can.

Clean the spots that are dirty again

Take a clean nylon brush and stroke the carpet so that all the fibers are flowing one way. Saturate tha area and stroke the brush thru the carpet the same way you just did. Doing this will make sure that you have an even coverage.

Now just repeat the other 3 directions.

What type of fabric protector comes in a liquid form True?

CharlesW
08-29-2006, 11:18 PM
What type of fabric protector comes in a liquid form True?Not True Detailer, but 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is one.
http://www.detailcity.com/303-high-tech-fabric-guard.html

Charles

Maxima Lover
08-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Not True Detailer, but 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is one.
http://www.detailcity.com/303-high-tech-fabric-guard.html

Charles

Thanks for the quick reply Charles. I`ll have to try that out.

CharlesW
08-29-2006, 11:23 PM
One thing I think I remember reading is that the carpet cleaning methods used by most of us leave a lot of cleaning product residue and that residue tends to attract more dirt.
That`s supposedly one of the benefits of an extractor.
FWIW, I use Meguiar`s APC+ at 12:1 water to APC+ and it seems to work pretty well. APC+ has been replaced and I don`t know how the new product works.

Charles

TrueDetailer
08-29-2006, 11:27 PM
What type of fabric protector comes in a liquid form True?

Theres a few out there. I use the fabric guard from automagic, got a gallon of it in the garage. Just do a google search on it.

Ecodetail
08-30-2006, 02:15 AM
woolite is soap based cleaner, so it leaves behind soap film that acts as soil magnet. Use product like 303 carpet cleaner or folex and notice the difference. Your carpet will stay clean longer without wicking problem that oftentimes happens when you use strong alkaline cleaner.

Larry A
08-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Folex is not suposed to attract more dirt.If you soak your carpet with a cleaning product, even with a extracter ,you wont get all the soap out. Somethimes after it drys a brush and vacuum will help a lot.

Mr. Clean
08-30-2006, 12:26 PM
One thing I think I remember reading is that the carpet cleaning methods used by most of us leave a lot of cleaning product residue and that residue tends to attract more dirt.

Dat`s right :)

My approach for my personal vehicles and recommendation to all clients is to be proactive rather than reactive. The use of mats (I prefer quality rubber -- OEM where possible, Weather Tech when not), in the cabin and trunk, is the best way to keep carpets clean and significantly reduce wear. Even if you opt for carpeted mats those can easily be removed, cleaned, and thoroughly rinsed and dried before returning them. Much easier and more effective than cleaning carpet in place, unless you have a rather costly carpet cleaner/extractor.

Maxima Lover
08-30-2006, 06:18 PM
My only problem with Folex is it seemed to be more of a spot cleaner. I about wore out my hand trying to spray it on the interior.