PDA

View Full Version : Glaze over Wax or Wax over Glaze

gandblah
08-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Folks
Does the glaze go over the wax or does the wax go over the glaze?

I don`t have a garage so I don`t want to go in for a PC which would have enabled me to polish the swirls and marring on my car. I also don`t want to spend $150 getting somebody to polish my car once. BUT at the same time I cannot stand to see them anymore.

So for my peace of mind I`d like to put on a glaze that I assume would have fillers and would hide some of the marring. I know fillers would eventually wear off and the marring would resurface but somethings better than nothing. I hand wash and wax (by being a moron taking my own sweet time at the nearest car wash) almost every week so I can reapply the glaze and wax frequently.

So please answer my question and also suggest a glaze/wax with heavy fillers
(FYI - I recently clayed my car and have one application of Meguiars cleaning wax on my car right now.)

On a side note -
Anybody in Denver with a PC willing to help me polish out the car once - Like one application of PB SSR 2.5? I could bring the products...and take you out for a beer or something :)

Thanks.

Jen@autogeek
08-16-2006, 08:06 PM
The glaze goes before the wax.:)

GearHead_1
08-16-2006, 08:44 PM
The glaze goes before the wax.:)

Or on top of a Krispy Kreeme (sp?)

Dave KG
08-17-2006, 02:50 AM
For a filler heavy glaze I would recommend Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze, its good at masking swilrs. A couple of applications of this should see most of the minor swirls masked.

As mentioned, a glaze comes before a wax. But be aware that the oily surface left by a glaze will compromise the durabillity of the wax a little as it wont have such a good surface to bond to. It wont be a bad effect though, just a little less durability.

If you have a pure glaze that contains no cleaners - Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze for example, this can be used on top of a wax for special occassions to give the car some added wettness to the shine. It will only last a day on its own unless you top it with a wax again to protect, but for shows for example its a nice touch to add an extra layer of glaze just for that little bit extra in the shine. :)

lonewolf0420
08-17-2006, 10:25 AM
I have a bottle of Red Moose Glaze I plan on trying when I do a full detail on my car again. I`m going to use a swirl remover before hand to try and get rid of as much webbing as possible, then apply a coat of RMG. Followed by a coat of LS. I don`t have the strenghth to work out every last flaw on black, so I thought the Glaze might assist me a little with masking anything left over. I don`t like the fact that it compromises durability, but then again I wax and use a wax booster on a regular bases.
Sorry for that spat.
To answer your question you apply a glaze befor you wax.

G35stilez
08-17-2006, 10:28 AM
When using RMG, you should use it via PC or Cyclo, just to note.

I tried it via rotary and you have to back down to 1000rpm or under otherwise there is gumming. Further, you will do little to mask anything over 1000rpm as it barely works it into the paint.

I am currently trying it on my details. I just use a small dab along with Menzerna PO106FF @ 1200-1500rpm. It cuts down on the dusting from Menzerna and adds a little bit of depth. Always be sure to remove the residue with a good QD as you might experience some streaking prior to your LSP application.

lonewolf0420
08-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Well we established Glaze before Wax, but what are the recommended speed/pad choices for RMG?

mgm2003
08-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Well we established Glaze before Wax, but what are the recommended speed/pad choices for RMG?

Finishing pad @4-5 on the PC, and what G35stilez said via rotary.

You only get 1 choice on the cyclo, twin 3000 orbits per minute.

RMG is an excellent glaze, and as G35stilez pointed out, it`s a good mix product to cut down on dusting (add to IP, or PG as examples).

lonewolf0420
08-17-2006, 04:00 PM
I can`t wait to try it.

gandblah
08-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Guys - Thanks a lot for your replies....

Just one thing though - I am looking for a glaze I can apply by hand. Could you recommend one?

lonewolf0420
08-17-2006, 06:32 PM
RMG can be applied by hand as well. I would also consider Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze. I`ve read alot of good stuff about it.

Jen@autogeek
08-17-2006, 08:42 PM
When using RMG, you should use it via PC or Cyclo, just to note.

I tried it via rotary and you have to back down to 1000rpm or under otherwise there is gumming. Further, you will do little to mask anything over 1000rpm as it barely works it into the paint.

I am currently trying it on my details. I just use a small dab along with Menzerna PO106FF @ 1200-1500rpm. It cuts down on the dusting from Menzerna and adds a little bit of depth. Always be sure to remove the residue with a good QD as you might experience some streaking prior to your LSP application.

When you say you add a small dab to the polish, how much would you say?? Like a pea sized dab or like a penny size?? I`m going to try this combo. Thanks for putting it out there. :)

mgm2003
08-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Draw a line of RMG side by side with 106FF/BF Finishing Polish.

Jen@autogeek
08-18-2006, 06:41 AM

G35stilez
08-18-2006, 11:22 AM
John and Jen: I usually go with a penny size.

Being that I try to leave a finish that is exactly how you see, not filled by anything, I try to use the minimal amount of RMG, maximum of 106ff.