PDA

View Full Version : Best way/products to make leather seats look new and not shiny (old)?

pologuy
01-28-2024, 04:44 PM
Looking for advice on the best way/products to make leather seats look new and not shiny (old)?

Dan
01-28-2024, 05:58 PM
A thorough cleaning goes a long way. If there is still residual shine, magic eraser can knock it down but you have to be very sparing with how much you use. It will very quickly take off the factory coating. In fact I’d advise practicing on a car in a junk yard or a car with torn seats.

Setec Astronomy
01-28-2024, 07:09 PM
As Dan alluded to, sometimes dirty seats can be shiny and a good cleaning will restore them to that more matte look. Or are you suggesting that some dressings will make the leather shiny and you are looking for a product that won`t do that?

pologuy
01-29-2024, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I am looking to get the shiny seats and trim back to looking like they did when they were new (as much as you can).

Looking for that new matte, soft leather - and not the (now) shiny, not so soft leather.

I know that leather in cars of the last 20+ years has a coating over it - so just wondering what the top recommended products are nowadays to get your leather looking and feeling like "new" again.

Lonnie
01-29-2024, 02:52 PM
What kind(year & make & model) of car/vehicle do you own that has this leather cleaning task you asking about?
Yes, it makes a difference as some manufacturers use "better" leather than others.
Example is Ford`s King Ranch leather in their trucks and SUVs is COMPLETELY different than the other leathers used in trucks and SUVs

pologuy
01-30-2024, 01:56 PM
What kind(year & make & model) of car/vehicle do you own that has this leather cleaning task you asking about?
Yes, it makes a difference as some manufacturers use "better" leather than others.
Example is Ford`s King Ranch leather in their trucks and SUVs is COMPLETELY different than the other leathers used in trucks and SUVs
2018 BMW 750i with what BMW calls "Zagora Beige Exclusive Nappa leather"...

Lonnie
01-31-2024, 11:41 AM
Since this is high -quality leather, my suggestion is to buy and use ColourLok`s mild cleaner kit.
If the light colored beige looks REALLY dirty in your eyes, it may require their strong cleaner instead.
Many vehicle owners think, "leather is just leather".
In your case it is not, hence my question about your vehicle and my suggestion for a high-quality leather cleaner.

And be careful what you haul and place on that leather. I have permanently spotted my leather passenger seat in a Ford Freestyle when a bottle of Megs RTU Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner leaked a few drops on it from a loose sprayer cap. Good for wheels; not for leather! Live and learning.

Fskof
02-03-2024, 05:33 PM
I use Leatherique on all leather seats with amazing results.

Coatings=crack
02-05-2024, 01:51 AM
Watch some scrub ninja video’s. This product did exactly what you were talking about to a 7 year old steering wheel.

I would definitely do a test spot or better yet email Autofiber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stokdgs
02-06-2024, 12:35 AM
I have always had great results on coated leather with Zaino Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner, and a good, clean, white, towel, for wipe off..
I get to see what color is coming off and how much, and then none..

On really dirty leather, I will apply the Z-9 product, and then carefully use a clean white towel and Steam it just a little and carefully to really get the leather warm and release the clean the gunk out of it..

When it`s all dry, I like to put a couple coats of Spinneybeck Finished Leather Cleaner, Conditioner, & Protector, or Leather Master Leather Protection Cream..
Spinneybeck buys the hides and makes them into finished leather... Both finishing products dry matte to flat,
Dan F

bcgreen
03-13-2024, 12:55 PM
I use Leatherique on all leather seats with amazing results.
I second Leatherique. I`ve said all along if it is used on Bentleys and RR, it`s good enough for me.

Older
03-30-2024, 07:27 AM
I`ve been using Geist. It seems similar to Colorlock.