PDA

View Full Version : How to get self-etching primer safely off plexiglass?

armchairdetail
10-19-2023, 02:06 PM
What should I use to get dozens of specs of black self-etching primer off curved plexiglass? Would a micro polisher with wool pad and Farcela G360 Super Fast Compound work? Should I try using K-Clear 707? What speed should I run at? Any good videos I should watch if I’ve never used a rotary buffer before?

Also, aside from getting the specs of primer off, there`s also deep scratches I want to try to remove. Does anyone know of any good videos that explain how to wet sand plexiglass to remove deep scratches caused by something like a flathead screwdriver?

Thanks in advance for the help!

wannafbody
10-19-2023, 09:10 PM
I`d try a plastic polish first. Might not cut it though.

armchairdetail
10-20-2023, 07:42 PM
I`d try a plastic polish first. Might not cut it though.

Yeah, it`s on there really tough and the plastic polish won`t cut it.

Stokdgs
10-20-2023, 11:18 PM
I would research and find who makes plexiglass parts and ask them how to remove primer off of it...
Dan F

Dan
10-22-2023, 11:08 AM
Do the specs come off with your finger nail? Do you know the brand of paint?

armchairdetail
10-22-2023, 08:09 PM
Do the specs come off with your finger nail? Do you know the brand of paint?
They do not come off with fingernail, not even with a plastic scraper unless you press so hard that you scratch the plexiglass. I do not know the brand of paint sadly and cannot reach the guy who screwed up on it.

Ron Ketcham
10-23-2023, 12:29 PM
Carrier solvent of the paint has resulted in the plexiglass surface being slightly "melted", so it is now part of plex.

Lonnie
10-24-2023, 01:09 PM
I think Ron Ketcham has "diagnosed" your problem and it is a dilemma and, quite frankly, there are no easy fixes to your curved plexiglass part.
What I and the rest of us do not know is:
1) How big this plexiglass part is, and,
2) How critical of a part it is: IE, is it something you look through constantly, like a windshield or custom viewing port cover in a hood to see the engine, and,
3) Can it be replaced with a new or used part

If it is a on vintage vehicle, that may be impossible to even find.

Obviously, based on your request, you are, indeed, trying to salvage this plexiglass part. I am NOT a wetsanding expert, but if this plexiglass part is like a headlight lens cover, you may want to try a headlight lens cover restoration kit that includes the wetsanding abrasive papers with it and go that route. Now, will it work? Don`t know. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. This suggestion is just that; a suggestion. You and your plexiglass part are the "guinea pig" in this experiment.

Let us know what you do. Lexan/plexiglass is not an easy material to correct and make it look "clear". The deep scratch with a screwdriver probably will not come out, but you can mitigate the rough edges and make it less visible and more opaque, IE; easier to see through.

Last suggestion is to take the part to a plastic fabrication shop and see what they might offer. My experience is sub-contracting them to make see-through flat-panel (nothing curved or formed) safety guarding on machines and they can do some very good work, albeit (very) expensive.

BrownBarbie
10-24-2023, 02:53 PM
Try rubbing alcohol. First, if you can test it on an inconspicuous area then the real thing. I have always had really good results with rubbing alcohol on plastics with gentle, constant motion.

Setec Astronomy
10-24-2023, 02:57 PM
Try rubbing alcohol. First, if you can test it on an inconspicuous area then the real thing. I have always had really good results with rubbing alcohol on plastics with gentle, constant motion.

Congrats on your first post!