PDA

View Full Version : The WORST car I have ever detailed - 20 hour "rush job"

Don
10-15-2023, 02:18 PM
This car belongs to a close friend. He is my polar opposite when it comes to car-care - he doesn`t do it at ALL! This is a black, 2013 Challenger, that`s SUPPOSED to be black, but unfortunately is more of a grey-ish and LOADED with scratches and swirls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3pHpKgtrjY&t=762s&ab_channel=DetailingBasics-Keepingitsimple

65chevy
10-15-2023, 08:00 PM
DON great job with what you had to work with big difference he should be happy

hawaiidude
10-19-2023, 06:05 PM
How did you deal with the section that had clear coat damage?

Don
10-19-2023, 10:04 PM
How did you deal with the section that had clear coat damage?

I used PAINTER`S tape and taped it off, so I wouldn`t go over it with the rotary. BUT - even the adhesive on the PAINTER`S TAPE, pulled off a small section and exposed FACTORY PAINT underneath. So, in short, it was a REALLY POOR repaint. My friend was cool with it though, because he already knew it was a half-done job, PLUS, the rest of the car was so VASTLY improved, it (kind of) made up for it. He`s NOT INTO cars like we are and small (or even large) imperfections don`t bother him like they would us.

PoisonTheWell
10-20-2023, 10:23 AM
I used PAINTER`S tape and taped it off, so I wouldn`t go over it with the rotary. BUT - even the adhesive on the PAINTER`S TAPE, pulled off a small section and exposed FACTORY PAINT underneath. So, in short, it was a REALLY POOR repaint. My friend was cool with it though, because he already knew it was a half-done job, PLUS, the rest of the car was so VASTLY improved, it (kind of) made up for it. He`s NOT INTO cars like we are and small (or even large) imperfections don`t bother him like they would us.

Reminds me of when I worked on a car where they used clear packing tape around a rear brake light to keep water from getting in. Car was so trashed that it didn`t matter that the clear coat came up because the rest of the car was such a mess.