PDA

View Full Version : Using iron remove AFTER LSP application?

P-nut
09-19-2023, 11:30 AM
I forgot to do a chemical decon before applying my LSP, which is TW Flex Graphene spray, a durable spray "coating". I wanted to use Griot`s Iron and Fallout Remover beforehand, but forgot. Will it still work even after applying the LSP? I know I`ll most likely have to reapply the Flex spray after the decon, but just wondering if there`s any point to doing the chemical decon at this point, or if it`s better to wait until the LSP wears off.

Anthony Orosco
09-19-2023, 11:37 AM
Better question, does iron remover really "remove" iron ferrous material or does it really just show you where it`s at and make for a neat visual?

If you`re the type who will always question your procedure then just wash it, do the iron spray and see if it has material, which all cars do, then clay and re-do your coating step. Pop a cold one and admire your work.

Stokdgs
09-19-2023, 02:56 PM
Better question, does iron remover really "remove" iron ferrous material or does it really just show you where it`s at and make for a neat visual?

If you`re the type who will always question your procedure then just wash it, do the iron spray and see if it has material, which all cars do, then clay and re-do your coating step. Pop a cold one and admire your work.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dan F

P-nut
09-20-2023, 09:44 AM
Okay, I`ll do a wash (it needs it now in any case), do the iron remover, then clay towel, then do the iron remover again to see if anything still shows up, which should answer the question. Reapply LSP afterward.

noorth
09-20-2023, 11:18 AM
I forgot to do a chemical decon before applying my LSP, which is TW Flex Graphene spray, a durable spray "coating". I wanted to use Griot`s Iron and Fallout Remover beforehand, but forgot. Will it still work even after applying the LSP? I know I`ll most likely have to reapply the Flex spray after the decon, but just wondering if there`s any point to doing the chemical decon at this point, or if it`s better to wait until the LSP wears off.

I would let it ride.

If you don`t like it just wash and try a decon or clay etc.

Besides, if you clayed well you should be fine. Use the iron remover in a few mths or something if the sealant holds up.

Accumulator
09-24-2023, 11:51 AM
P-nut- Is there some reason why you consider the Iron Remover necessary? I haven`t used one since forever and I`ve never had any problems. Maybe you don`t need it.

Yeah, that`s just me and my situation, but still...I suspect we get into the habit of doing [various processes] and eventually start thinking that they`re necessary even when they`re not.
E.g., the "you gotta decontaminate before you redo the LSP", which I`ve basically quit doing (unless I see a genuine need) without suffering any downsides.

P-nut
09-24-2023, 04:00 PM
Nope, I don`t know for sure that I need it, but the car is 2 years old and I`ve never done anything to it in the way of clay or chemical decon, so I thought it would be a good idea. Only one way to find out :) And I already bought the iron remover so I may as well use it. Couldn`t hurt, right? It`s not a difficult process by any means, no harder than using a quick detailer. I`m curious to see if any pink particles show up, and I wasn`t sure if the LSP might interfere with the chemical doing its job. We shall see! I`m planning to do it on Tuesday.

noorth
09-24-2023, 09:43 PM
Nope, I don`t know for sure that I need it, but the car is 2 years old and I`ve never done anything to it in the way of clay or chemical decon, so I thought it would be a good idea. Only one way to find out :) And I already bought the iron remover so I may as well use it. Couldn`t hurt, right? It`s not a difficult process by any means, no harder than using a quick detailer. I`m curious to see if any pink particles show up, and I wasn`t sure if the LSP might interfere with the chemical doing its job. We shall see! I`m planning to do it on Tuesday.

You might know this but iron removers are often used on wheels too. One of the main applications for me with iron removers. I frankly don`t use them that often but they do work IME.

I was claying my father`s white Nissan rogue a few years back with fine clay. I could clearly seen the little spots of rust all over the lower panels and it was coming out with a lot of elbow grease but after about an hour or so i thought about the iron remover so i grabbed it and tried it. It helped ALOT to breakdown the deposits and made the process much easier. That was the first time i really could see the value of iron removers because on my car for instance which is dark i never see any purple reaction not even on the wheels most of the time so i wasn`t using it a lot for a few years.

When i take my summer tires off this year i will test it out again on my wheels. I had a 1 liter of iron remover concentrate that i cut 1:3 for close to 5 years now i guess, so i didn`t use it much. Its almost gone.

My next iron remover will be labocosmetica`s sidero which is also dilutable and according to the company is relatively odor free and was designed with the shop owner in mine so he doesn`t have to stink out his shop. I might try to use it has a clay lube next year - it also works on lime scale. On paper it looks like the best iron remover i have even seen online.

I also recently used it to clean the coils on a stand up freezer that had all kinds of rust. It worked very well.