PDA

View Full Version : How to clean vinyl graphic decals?

stealthrider496
08-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Hello All,

I need a little help. I`m about to add some vinyl graphic`s to my new Dodge Charger R/T and I`m not sure how to care for them. When I wax the car do I need to keep the wax off the decals and use something different on them? If so what? thanks for any help!

stealthrider496

Tex Star Detail
08-07-2006, 02:25 PM
If you are going to be using a rotary or PC, I would tape them off, so you do not peel the edges, as well as keep wax from building at the edge. If by hand, you will be able to go right up to them.

For washing, just wash the car like normal. If you are just getting them on, I would wait a week to wash. Just in case

detailz
08-07-2006, 02:28 PM
There is no problem applying wax over the decals. What you need to be sure of, is too totally remove the residue with a detail brush from the edges after removing the wax with microfibers. You don`t wan`t the white residue highlighting the edges of the decals. Share some pics when you are done.

TrueDetailer
08-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Being a sign man myself, i can say you won`t hurt them by applying a sealent or wax over them.Infact you`ll probably extend the life of them.

i wouldn`t worry to much about the pc running over them, don`t let a rotary though.

When you apply them make sure you strip the surface down to the paint, or they will fall off in a few weeks.

stealthrider496
08-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Hey thanks for the info. Will it make a difference that the decals are matte black? and "detailz" i`ll post a couple before and after pic when it`s done. i`m hoping this coming weekend...thanks again all!

TrueDetailer
08-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey thanks for the info. Will it make a difference that the decals are matte black? and "detailz" i`ll post a couple before and after pic when it`s done. i`m hoping this coming weekend...thanks again all!

Don`t hold me to this, But it shouldn`t make a difference.

ChicagoVTX
08-07-2006, 07:09 PM
I have the Daytona with tha matt decals I wax them with no issues so far.

Brenton
08-07-2006, 07:18 PM
I wouldn`t use an acid wash or harsh wax stripping soap over the decals for fading.

AL-53
08-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Make sure you prep-sol the areas where the Graphics are going on.. Like TrueDetailer said..they will start to peel and fall off eventually....you can polish the area to ensure all sealant and wax is gone..but I would still do a wipe down..of either prep sol or Alcohol to ensure no oils or wax is present..when they decay so will the bond of the graphics...

AL

stealthrider496
08-08-2006, 04:24 PM
hey thanks, that makes me feel alot better about getting them put on this weekend.

TrueDetailer
08-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Oh to make things easier, Get yourself a spray bottle and put a few drops of baby shampoo in it and fill it with water.

When you go to apply the decals. Spray both the car and the back of the decal, soak them. This way you`ll have time to move it around in to place when you lay it on the car. After you get it into place, start to squeegee the water out from the center out.

stealthrider496
08-09-2006, 10:16 AM
thanks for the tip TrueDetailer. actually my "x" is putting them on, she`s an artist and has done this kind work before. since her happy pills seem to be working well here lately it should be ok...lol.

Dans Detailing
08-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Being a sign man myself, i can say you won`t hurt them by applying a sealent or wax over them.Infact you`ll probably extend the life of them.

i wouldn`t worry to much about the pc running over them, don`t let a rotary though.

When you apply them make sure you strip the surface down to the paint, or they will fall off in a few weeks.

I use a rotary over the decals and stickers, you just have to adjust speed and pressure to lightly go over them and never ever with a dry pad..

southerndetail
02-20-2007, 03:34 PM
I have a cliant that gets his vans wrapped with the vinyl decals, and as soon as he does he wants them protected. I`ve been using mothers paste wax and found that the vinyl almost sucks the wax up as soon as its applied and difficult to remove. Should I be using some kind of polymer instead.