PDA

View Full Version : Is Graphene the future of detailing?

CleanIt
05-28-2022, 03:19 PM
Thought this was pretty good.

Is Graphene the future of detailing?! Q & A with Yvan Lacroix - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYLssytaaG4)

The Guz
05-28-2022, 06:55 PM
Don’t know if it’s the future. But from experience if one ignores the claims of Graphene being a game changer and see it as just another coating then one will realize they are just as good. Better is subjective.

Keep in mind he has to say that as he consults with McKee’s who had a Graphene coating and also with Roar who he helped finalize the formula for that coating or something like that.

Setec Astronomy
05-29-2022, 08:09 AM
Sorry to go a bit off topic here, and I don`t think I even finished watching the linked video because I went down a YouTube rabbit hole...here`s some random things that came up. Yvan had something to do with "development" of the PC? That was in passing in the linked video, and I see in Yvan`s LinkedIn he was the service manager for Porter Cable (I presume in Canada) from `90-`95. Also, something that was mentioned before, M37 is now in the "Autogeek" facility, but not only that, M37 now has a "division" that sells all kinds of other brands, and is doing monthly Cars & Coffee. So basically Max sold the whole thing and now has it back under a different name with different people other than Nick. I gave the guy credit for being smart and selling Autogeek so he could retire, but he deserves more credit for what he pulled off, it`s the kind of thing you read about in small-business magazines.

CleanIt
05-29-2022, 08:37 AM
The main point he made about graphene in the video was that yes, some of it is marketing hype and some of it is legit chemistry. It depends on what brand I suppose. His opinion is that the brands not using it don`t have their "brains wrapped around it" as he said. Whether that is true or not I don`t know. Graphene enhances Sio2 based products he claims and it less prone to water spotting.

wannafbody
05-29-2022, 03:24 PM
I think graphene is another fad that`s being thrown in tons of products. Is it better, maybe but can they prove it`s better? I doubt that graphene in a soap has much function. In a coating, maybe it`s better but what percentage of increased life? This is an industry that really doesn`t provide much scientific proof to claims.

CleanIt
05-29-2022, 04:41 PM
I think graphene is another fad that`s being thrown in tons of products. Is it better, maybe but can they prove it`s better? I doubt that graphene in a soap has much function. In a coating, maybe it`s better but what percentage of increased life? This is an industry that really doesn`t provide much scientific proof to claims.

Agree 100%.

Lonnie
06-02-2022, 09:46 AM
Here`s what I wrote about LSP`s in general:
Last Step Products (LSPs), whether they are coatings, waxes, or sealants provide the vehicle exterior with:
1) Reflective gloss
2) Surface protection from natural and man-made environmental contaminates (UV rays, insect splatter, bird droppings, tree sap, acid rain, hard water spotting, ambient ocean-air salt, iron dust, de-icing chemicals or road traffic film (RTF), road tar or striping paint, vandal eggings or graffiti)
3) Hydroscopic water beading or sheeting runoff

Does graphene fit into those categories? Or is it a fad chemical, like Teflon-infused wax/sealants or Coral Blue`s fade blocking Fomblin-A??

CleanIt
06-02-2022, 12:55 PM
Here`s what I wrote about LSP`s in general:
Last Step Products (LSPs), whether they are coatings, waxes, or sealants provide the vehicle exterior with:
1) Reflective gloss
2) Surface protection from natural and man-made environmental contaminates (UV rays, insect splatter, bird droppings, tree sap, acid rain, hard water spotting, ambient ocean-air salt, iron dust, de-icing chemicals or road traffic film (RTF), road tar or striping paint, vandal eggings or graffiti)
3) Hydroscopic water beading or sheeting runoff

Does graphene fit into those categories? Or is it a fad chemical, like Teflon-infused wax/sealants or Coral Blue`s fade blocking Fomblin-A??

Yvan recently talked about it and said that some chemists are using it legitimately, and some are using it as a buzzword. He basically views graphene, at this stage, as Sio2 "plus". Real world observable gains are lacking.

David Fermani
06-06-2022, 08:48 PM
It’s purely marketing hype and the technology is decades away from being beneficial in a car detailing application. It’s beyond ridiculous how many veteran companies are whoring themselves out to it. Graphene based tire dressing!!! Come on now. That’s just plain silliness.

CleanIt
06-07-2022, 08:13 AM
I agree it`s ridiculous but expected.

Feynlab has a good page on this stuff:

Coating Chemistries, and Differentiating Marketing Terms from Actual Chemistry | FEYNLAB (https://www.feynlab.com/coating-chemistries-and-differentiating-marketing-terms-from-actual-chemistry/)