PDA

View Full Version : pad/polish combo for sealant/ceramic coating removal

DownSouth
01-18-2022, 05:35 PM
How aggressive of a polish/pad combo is needed to remove a SiO2 sealant? I don`t want to over work the surface and start polishing the paint if it doesn`t need it.

Also, same question, but for the removal of a ceramic coating?

I have the following polishes and pads:

3D One
Griot`s Garage FCC
Menzerna Micro Polish PO 85RD

LC orange, blue, white, purple wool
Rupes Yellow
Buff and Shine Uro-fiber

c5longhorn
01-18-2022, 08:08 PM
I don`t recognize all the products but if they are like Griot`s FCC, then they are too aggressive for what you are trying to accomplish.

I would use Griot`s Perfecting Polish, Meguiar`s M205, or Carpro Essence.

For pads, I would use a mild polishing pad. I use white Lake Country foam pads.

Start from least aggressive to most aggressive, but I`ve found it is not that hard to remove a consumer grade coating.

Thanks,

Rick

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

dgage
01-18-2022, 08:54 PM
You need a polishing pad and a cleaner polish, which means not aggressive at all with either. It won’t take much to remove a coating and even less for a sealant. So just go with as mild a polish and pad as you can get and that should be plenty. Might as well go for a jeweling/burnishing pass to get high gloss from your paint and that will make your paint look it’s best while removing the coating.

Stokdgs
01-18-2022, 10:13 PM
How aggressive of a polish/pad combo is needed to remove a SiO2 sealant? I don`t want to over work the surface and start polishing the paint if it doesn`t need it.

Also, same question, but for the removal of a ceramic coating?

I have the following polishes and pads:

3D One
Griot`s Garage FCC
Menzerna Micro Polish PO 85RD

LC orange, blue, white, purple wool
Rupes Yellow
Buff and Shine Uro-fiber

I have always had great results with a fine polish and a medium pad like the LC White Foam Pad..
Looking at your choices, if you are good with the Menzerna PO85RD Micro Polish, I would be using that one because I have always had great results with it.. :)
It is also very, very, easy on the paint with a Rotary even...
Good luck with your project !
Dan F

bad penny
01-18-2022, 10:30 PM
3D One and the Orange pad will do the trick for either

Desertnate
01-19-2022, 12:40 PM
The white pads should work just fine for the sealant or coating removal. I`m not that familiar with the Menzerna product, but most polishes and swirl removers/medium polishes should do the trick.

On all of my vehicles I use white pads almost exclusively and simply adjust my polishing product based on the paint and the damage. I won`t go to an orange pad and/or compound unless absolutely needed.