PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Trim Etching

Buck22
12-28-2021, 11:37 AM
Any tips on how to recondition rubber trim that is etched with spots that look like mold or acid rain etching. I have tried all kinds of APC`s, vinegar , clorox etc and none of these would remove it. The only thing that seems to work is multiple Acetone scrubs with a microfiber cloth. I am a little leary of the Acetone as I know it is a very potent chemical. Is it ok to use Acetone and will it permanently damage rubber or paint? I am open to any suggestions. Thanks

Setec Astronomy
12-28-2021, 11:59 AM
I`ve used Klasse AIO on stuff like that.

craigdt
01-01-2022, 11:23 AM
Can you post a pic?

I wonder how something like Griots Rubber Prep would do?

Ron Ketcham
01-01-2022, 01:44 PM
Look up the meaning of "etching" !! You may actual learn why using dressing and such are not an actual fix for the issue. Perhaps then you may consider an actual fix.

Accumulator
01-01-2022, 02:31 PM
Buck22- Welcome to Autopia! Sorry to hear you`re dealing with this.

Is the "etching" like, uhm....a pitted surface, an actual "lack of material" from where the [whatever] was on it?

I suspect that`s what Ketch is driving at....

Guess I`m wondering whether the Acetone is removing material and "fixing" it that way. Sorry I don`t have any worthwhile advice to offer.

Stokdgs
01-01-2022, 05:20 PM
Buck22 - Happy New Year !

On most plastic and rubber trim(Never use on clear plastic dash gauges, etc....) I have the best results with Einzett/ Nextzett Deep Plastic Cleaner here -- Nextzett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger - 500 ml (https://www.autopia-carcare.com/1z-924410.html#.YdDSscmIb3g)
This is the only product I will use on Client`s vehicles, and I have seen about everything cleaning interiors, so good luck with whatever you find !
Dan F

Buck22
01-03-2022, 11:48 AM
Yes the surface is actually damaged to some extent. I think Thats why only wet sanding or Acetone works because it is actually removing surface material and exposing "new" rubber. I saw a video on You Tube where a detailer had a car with the same problem. He used a Magic Eraser coupled with Spray Nine cleaner and it appeared to work very well. He said the magic Eraser was equivalent to about 5000 grit sandpaper and was used to remove the top layer of rubber to "level" the defects. I dont see this problem that often but when I do it seems to be on vehicles that have been neglected for a number of years and sat out in the elements with very little care. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Accumulator
01-05-2022, 02:23 PM
Buck22- I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction and have a chance to post back about it. I`d sure be careful with the abrasion even if you don`t care about the oem texture as some such materials aren`t "black all the way through".