PDA

View Full Version : Spit shine

Fishroes
12-25-2021, 04:36 PM
Bill D
Do you still use this method
Was thinking about trying it tomorrow
you work with an easy on/easy off low solvent content carnauba wax, ( I personally have Souveran, but I hear P21s/S100, and Natty`s also do very well) you don`t have to worry about buffing off the wax right away. The idea is to lay down the wax and use the chilled QD as a barrier from removing it from the application of addition wax as well as enhanced depth. Keep tiny droplets of QD on the panel as you wax,small areas at a time. Towards the end of doing each area, work the wax in until it is invisible. When you complete this for the entire panel, look for hazing and then spray the panel down with QD and buff to a magnificent, brilliant, deep shine.

This was from the thread discussing spit shine in 2005

Bill D
12-25-2021, 04:43 PM
Hi Fishroes

Wow, blast from the past! Yeah, if I`m ever prepping for a show, I will still spit shine for the enjoyment of it. What you posted is how to do it. I haven`t done it in a while. Any carnauba will do. Have fun!

Fishroes
12-25-2021, 05:19 PM
So first step is put wax down then immediately or how many minutesto wait? Before spraying qd down followed by another coat of souveran then buff to a haze then qd and final wipe down. I will be using a GG6 on a LC white foam pad to apply the wax. Final buff by hand
I have megs qd and duragloss 921. Think I will use the duragloss since I have 2 bottles of that

Bill D
12-25-2021, 05:27 PM
The way I used to do it was lay down the wax then used chilled. QD to apply the second plus layers. I don`t recall waiting a certain amount of minutes to apply more, just wait for a slight haze. I did it all by hand. Experiment a little and see which application technique works for you.

I have my Crystal Mist in the fridge waiting to go but I don`t see chilled QD as absolutely essential. Just don`t rush the process. Spit shining is almost a Zen experience. :D

Fishroes
12-25-2021, 05:50 PM
So wait for a slight haze after both wax applications. Gotcha
yea I’m just playing around with it
I have a 2016 tundra magnetic gray metallic. I’ve been using Jescar powerlock sealant since new and I am happy with the protection
this Gray color doesn’t pop like a black does but I was wanting a little more depth plus the sealant has a slight glassy look (not bad though). This past summer I used the souveran for the first time and it looked a little better in my eyes but of course it doesn’t last as long as the powerlock one more coat of wax should get me to the spring detail. Just popped in my head. I remember a thread from Ronk
he was using poorboys spray and gloss and another product, maybe carnauba together. It may have been the same process. I bought a bottle of s&g and haven’t used it yet I will use that tomorrow

Rsurfer
12-26-2021, 01:16 PM
Not worth the effort.

Bill D
12-26-2021, 01:23 PM
It’s gotta be something you enjoy. Some people do, some people don’t.

Dan
12-26-2021, 02:17 PM
Yep, it`s fun when you have the time to pamper your car. I have some great memories of heating up the garage and spending hours throwing coats or layers of Zaino on when the weather was to crappy to do anything else.

I do agree it really is mostly in your mind when it comes to looks. These days I spend my time obsessing about trim and dirt in places I can`t get to... lol.

Accumulator
12-29-2021, 04:09 PM
No mention of using spit-shining to improve durability through enhanced layering ability? Guess that`s not as much of an issue now there there are so many long-lived LSPs out there...

craigdt
01-01-2022, 11:20 AM
I saw the word Nattys.

I LOVE Nattys Blue! Just get it, its so enjoyable to work with.
Maybe not quite as easy to remove as Souveran, but easy to work with, and doesn`t get the attention that it deserves.

Fun seeing this topic come back up- if you try this, let is know what you think.

Edit-
I wonder how critical the "chilled" part is. Its not unusual for me to blast the hazed wax with a spritz of room temp waterless wash to help the removal process on some less easy to remove waxes/sealants. Wonder how that impacts things...