PDA

View Full Version : Swirl marks on new paint

in4mation
06-23-2021, 04:44 PM
I apologize if this has been stated before. Very new to detailing and just purchased a new Toyota in Celestial Silver metallic. For some reason, the upper part of the doors up until the door handle have very fine swirl marks from the dealer. The rest of the car has no swirls.

Because this is a brand new car, what product can I use that is safe for the paint to just remove those fine swirls? I`m not looking for anything aggressive or something that will diminish the clear coat. Again, I`m new to detailing and not well versed, so I appreciate the help.

Coatings=crack
06-24-2021, 03:42 AM
I apologize if this has been stated before. Very new to detailing and just purchased a new Toyota in Celestial Silver metallic. For some reason, the upper part of the doors up until the door handle have very fine swirl marks from the dealer. The rest of the car has no swirls.

Because this is a brand new car, what product can I use that is safe for the paint to just remove those fine swirls? I`m not looking for anything aggressive or something that will diminish the clear coat. Again, I`m new to detailing and not well versed, so I appreciate the help.

Anytime you are removing scratches (even light swirls) you are removing clear coat.

Do you have a Polisher or want to do by hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accumulator
06-24-2021, 12:57 PM
in4mation- No surprise, I can count on one hand the brand-new vehicles I`ve seen over the last 40-some years that weren`t scratched.

As noted, *any* correction will remove some clear because that`s just how it works (you abrade away the paint around the scratch(es) until that paint is as low as the deepest part of the scratch, just like sanding wood until it`s smooth).

So the trick is to know when to say "when". Often, "much better" is as much as you should do since you have the rest of the vehicle`s life ahead of you and you don`t want to run out of clear (and that means not taking off a few mils too much, *NOT* just "not cutting through" since the UV protection is only in the very top part of the clear).

in4mation
06-24-2021, 04:27 PM
Is there something like a glaze that I could use to mask them for awhile? Or a wax that will fill it just until I wash the car?

Stokdgs
06-24-2021, 08:44 PM
Is there something like a glaze that I could use to mask them for awhile? Or a wax that will fill it just until I wash the car?

Aloha, Friend !

Yes, a Glaze will have some fillers in it that will help hide the defects, for awhile..
Have you contacted the Dealer and shown them ? Perhaps they can fix this for you? Just a thought..

The reason you see the swirls is because someone used perhaps, bad technique, and did not finish the polish process to remove the swirls...

When one uses the Edge of the pad, there is usually going to be those swirl marks.. So they used the edge of the pad to work faster, but they did not go back over the work with the pad Flat on the panel, to remove and refine the paint and leave it flat, clear, and glossy...

And apparently, they did not check their work in good light to see their incomplete work and fix it before you took delivery..

Dan F

dgage
06-24-2021, 11:24 PM
Personally, I wouldn’t let the dealer touch my car. They’re focused on making it look as good as they can the quickest way they can. They’re not concerned about the amount of clearcoat they remove to make that happen and that ASSUMES they don’t make the paint look worse.

If it were me, I’d get a decent polish and carefully rub out the swirls. A glaze wouldn’t appeal to me as then I might be limited in the products I could use to protect the paint.

‘And yes we’re saying the paint is thin and use the least aggressive method to address this but polishing also doesn’t remove much of any clearcoat when done properly. So I wouldn’t worry too much about this issue as it is common with new cars unfortunately. Correct the paint carefully and then carefully wash and care for the car in the future and you’ll be fine.

in4mation
06-25-2021, 08:41 PM
Personally, I wouldn’t let the dealer touch my car. They’re focused on making it look as good as they can the quickest way they can. They’re not concerned about the amount of clearcoat they remove to make that happen and that ASSUMES they don’t make the paint look worse.

If it were me, I’d get a decent polish and carefully rub out the swirls. A glaze wouldn’t appeal to me as then I might be limited in the products I could use to protect the paint.

‘And yes we’re saying the paint is thin and use the least aggressive method to address this but polishing also doesn’t remove much of any clearcoat when done properly. So I wouldn’t worry too much about this issue as it is common with new cars unfortunately. Correct the paint carefully and then carefully wash and care for the car in the future and you’ll be fine.

What would be recommended as a polish that`s the least aggressive that can be done by hand? I don`t have a machine to polish with.

The Guz
06-25-2021, 09:10 PM
What would be recommended as a polish that`s the least aggressive that can be done by hand? I don`t have a machine to polish with.

Since you are doing it by hand you won`t be taking much paint off regardless of the polish you have. Just don`t expect too much correction by hand compared to a polisher. Even by machine there is not that much removal of clear with a polish and polishing pad.

What polishes do you have on hand?

in4mation
06-25-2021, 10:23 PM
Since you are doing it by hand you won`t be taking much paint off regardless of the polish you have. Just don`t expect too much correction by hand compared to a polisher. Even by machine there is not that much removal of clear with a polish and polishing pad.

What polishes do you have on hand?

I don`t have any polishes on hand. Was looking to buy what is needed.

The Guz
06-26-2021, 12:35 AM
Get yourself the sonax twins. Always good to have a compound around. You can use the protection of your choice be it a wax, sealant or coating.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/cut-max-sonax-250.html#.YNa8fehKiUk

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/sonax-ex-0406-250.html#.YNa8f-hKiUk

wannafbody
06-26-2021, 09:21 AM
Mothers Ceramic 3 in 1 should work and you can find it at WalMart