PDA

View Full Version : Lug nut brush

fju2112
04-12-2021, 11:13 AM
I plan on cleaning/waxing both our cars` wheels in the next couple weeks, and was wondering if Mothers makes a lug nut brush or which one is recommended? Seems I need the plastic polish or powerplastic for the factory alloy rims (one is a 2021 Toyota Sienna, one is a 2014 E-class, both with factory rims) to clean/prep them well prior to using a synthetic wax.

I can already see some chipping/issues on the Benz wheels since I`ve never properly cared for them other than tire & wheel cleaner when washing and the occasional waxing, and toward the end with our last car, a 12 year old Odyssey, the wheels were in pretty bad shape, so want to be sure I`m taking care of both better from now on.

PA DETAILER
04-12-2021, 11:18 AM
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/carrand-lug-nut-brush.html#.YHRysqySnIU

Desertnate
04-12-2021, 11:31 AM
How big is that brush? It looks like it would work OK with a truck or SUV with exposed lugs, but I don`t think there is any way that brush would be effective on wheels with recessed lugs like I find on my cars.

This is very timely question as I was looking at the lug brush from Griots the other day and wondering if it was effective. For around $8 it isn`t to risky to try it out.

PA DETAILER
04-12-2021, 11:55 AM
Here is one for recessed...

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/recessed-wheel-lug-nut-brush.html#.YHR7TqySnIU

fju2112
04-12-2021, 02:14 PM
Thanks, that looks good. I imagine the foam inserts can be used multiple times? Are they intended as just a scrubbing tool, or can use apply waxes inside the recessed area after a thorough cleaning?

Accumulator
04-15-2021, 12:33 PM
Watch you don`t use something that`ll mar the wheels. I use BHBs and swabs on mine even though they`re all very hard.

fju2112
04-15-2021, 12:38 PM
Watch you don`t use something that`ll mar the wheels. I use BHBs and swabs on mine even though they`re all very hard.

Help me out - what would mar the wheels / what`s "BHBs"?

Accumulator
04-15-2021, 12:47 PM
Help me out - what would mar the wheels / what`s "BHBs"?
Sorry, didn`t mean to be inscrutable :o BHB= Boar`s Hair Brush. I use a cylindrical one for the initial passes on lugs/etc., following up with swabs.

Not sure what would mar *your* wheels, but mine, which are very hard, can`t take any of the plastic-bristle brushes that I`ve tried, the ones with a "hole in the middle" that`re apparently made just for this. Watch the foam things too...there`s nowhere for abrasive [stuff] to go and it can scratch too.

Heh heh, maybe this is another situation where you`d drive yourself nuts being, uhm...uber-Autopian...about the job ;) So don`t let me make it sound mandatory that ya go off the deep end.

Older
04-15-2021, 02:06 PM
Sorry, didn`t mean to be inscrutable :o BHB= Boar`s Hair Brush. I use a cylindrical one for the initial passes on lugs/etc., following up with swabs.

Not sure what would mar *your* wheels, but mine, which are very hard, can`t take any of the plastic-bristle brushes that I`ve tried, the ones with a "hole in the middle" that`re apparently made just for this. Watch the foam things too...there`s nowhere for abrasive [stuff] to go and it can scratch too.

Heh heh, maybe this is another situation where you`d drive yourself nuts being, uhm...uber-Autopian...about the job ;) So don`t let me make it sound mandatory that ya go off the deep end.

"Inscrutable". Good word.

I don`t use any specialty lug-cleaning brushes either. I just use a thin MF towel. The less stuff I have, the better.

Accumulator
04-16-2021, 10:30 AM
"Inscrutable". Good word.....Heh heh, if I chose my *other* words a bit better I wouldn`t have to use that one so often :o