PDA

View Full Version : Costco microfiber towels

Pages : [1] 2

briarpatch
03-11-2021, 12:17 PM
So....I`ve been pretty much a `microfiber snob`.....only buying the higher end towels, even for the dirty jobs. My wife recently made a Costco run, and I told her to pick me up a pack of their towels. I have to say that I`m pleasantly surprised. These will be used for the dirty jobs, and likely will not touch any painted surface other than door jambs, but for the price, you can`t beat them. I just removed some tags and washed the first bunch prior to use, and I have to say they washed up very nicely.

Oneheadlite
03-11-2021, 12:23 PM
Eldorado2K over on AG swears by them.

I`ve used them on civilian cars at work and thought they worked just fine. Granted, it feels like most of the cars I see at work are in a condition where you could probably wipe them down with wet newspaper and not induce any more marring than is already there... (poor cars just treated like appliances).

I`m sure testing on pure black would be the best route, but overall I think they`re better than they get credit for.

Desertnate
03-11-2021, 01:11 PM
I use them all the time. In fact other than a couple "special" towels I`ve picked up over the years, they are the only towels I`ve ever used. As long as you treat them right like you would any other MF towel I don`t see how they would cause any issues. I`m on my second black car with no problems at all.

I do have various "grades". Brand new gets used only on paint. As they wear a bit, they get demoted to interior usage (unless I`m dealing with screens, gage clusters, or piano black trim), then further downgraded to wheels, and the final insult is exhausts.

Bill D
03-11-2021, 01:16 PM
I would take a chance on them and if they don’t meet your standards, use them around the house.

I wish there was a Costco close by to me. I only have Sam’s and BJ’s. I wonder how their MFs compare.

tom p.
03-11-2021, 01:34 PM
I bought cheapie towels at Target long ago. They`re pretty decent and I still have most of them.

I think my best "cheapie" towels are the edgeless ones sold by TRC on Amazon. Absolutely no frills and it appears the edges were cut off, literally. Excellent utility towel, wife is crazy about them :)

The Guz
03-11-2021, 02:27 PM
They work good for dirty jobs. I have used them as part of the wheel coating process.

Stokdgs
03-11-2021, 02:56 PM
I had friends use them and scratch their vehicles paintwork with them... Perhaps some of that is user induced, I don`t know... When I looked at these and felt them even as new, compared them to my non-Costco microfibers, I knew I was not ever going to use them on paint, plastics, especially all the plastic gauge faces, interior painted trim, and any plastic on the console.

I have only a lot of older microfibers that work great and they are all from Korea.. And they dont harm anything..
Dan F

Just a quick note -- I only use light color microfibers because I look at them all the time and want to be able to pick out something that got attached to them that might or will scratch the surface..
Cannot do this quick inspection as well with dark colored towels...

Bill D
03-11-2021, 03:04 PM
I bet they’re no different from the ones from Sam’s and BJ’s then

Coatings=crack
03-12-2021, 12:08 AM
I used tested them on the black mustang (shadow) and did not see any marring the added. Rinseless washed and dried a panel with them.

If they were edgeless i’d have no problem using them on paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coatings=crack
03-12-2021, 12:09 AM
I bought cheapie towels at Target long ago. They`re pretty decent and I still have most of them.

I think my best "cheapie" towels are the edgeless ones sold by TRC on Amazon. Absolutely no frills and it appears the edges were cut off, literally. Excellent utility towel, wife is crazy about them :)

I use thosr white ones for coating removal. I’d say the kirklands are better but not a fan of the edges (kirkland)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

audicoupej
03-12-2021, 11:24 AM
I have used the Sams ones for years and have been using the Kirkland ones for a year or two. Looking at both packages they are both made in China and an 80/20 blend. They feel very similar but my hands are like sandpaper this time of year so I am not the best judge of softness.

I use them for glass, interior, wheels, engine bay, metal polishing then oil rags. More or less in that order. The duty gets passed down as the towel gets used more.
They work great for coating removal on wheels too because they are cheap enough when I toss them. (They become oil change rags before getting thrown out for good)

I will use them on paint for cars that aren`t polished and won`t be polished. Like wash and wax jobs. They work great and I have not noticed any marring from wax/sealant removal even on black. I like the Sams ones because you can get them in different colors to designate different uses.

I think on most paints you would be fine using them but I have so many microfibers that I don`t use them just in case.

They are cheap enough to give them a try. Worst case you can use them around the house. My mother in law was saving my old ones I would throw out at her house (after washing them). I noticed she had a pile of old towels and rags that turned into a pile of my old microfibers, so I bought her a pack from Costco and she loves them for house cleaning.

Moonracer364
03-13-2021, 05:18 AM
Yellow Costco towels are my goto for everything; I think they`re better than towels at Target or Sams.

You`ve got to rip off the tags before you wash, but after they`re washed 10+ times they get supersoft and don`t capture contaminates like wood splinters or grass.

Pats300zx
03-13-2021, 07:13 AM
I have been using the Kirkland towels for years. They are my "go to" towels for washing and rinseless washing. I use them a couple of times and then they get demoted down the micro fiber hierarchy

Wash to interior to wheels to metal polishing or engine work.

David Fermani
03-13-2021, 10:06 AM
LOL at the people that claim these scratch your paint! They work great on even the softest of paint. Just don’t wipe with the edge. And don’t use after rewashing. Sure, you can see isolated towel marring in extreme cases, but you can get that with even the softness of towels. For the prices it’s a no brainer.

2wookies
03-13-2021, 07:43 PM
I love their towels, I use the, for everything BUT leveling a coating.