PDA

View Full Version : First Synthetic Clay choice help.

Pages : [1] 2

Fishing
03-09-2021, 05:38 PM
Hello all, I am looking to try a non traditional clay substitute. Hoping to get similar results to using clay with less time swinging my hand/arm. I am thinking of getting the Griots Brilliant Finish Synthetic Clay. As This will be my first time using a substitute, any opinions on a first timer using the Griots ? Should I be looking at something else ? Thnx for any help/suggestions.

wristymanchego
03-09-2021, 06:19 PM
Here’s a roundup performed by a well-trusted Australian detailer that echoes my own experiences: https://youtu.be/4QMjt4ztWrs

Look for a synthetic clay with gaps that allows shaved particles to pass through it to reduce marring. Whilst I haven’t used it to compare with the one in the video, I’m certain Optimum make a similar clay towel. However, not all are made equal.

wannafbody
03-09-2021, 07:35 PM
I have a synthetic clay mitt and refer it to regular clay. It`s a simple as washing.

rand0m
03-09-2021, 08:43 PM
Here’s a roundup performed by a well-trusted Australian detailer that echoes my own experiences: https://youtu.be/4QMjt4ztWrs

Look for a synthetic clay with gaps that allows shaved particles to pass through it to reduce marring. Whilst I haven’t used it to compare with the one in the video, I’m certain Optimum make a similar clay towel. However, not all are made equal.

The rag company produces the optimum clay towel now. I like it a lot. It’s very gentle and great for well maintained cars. My go to was the nanoskin fine autoscrub but the clay towel is much quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sizzle Chest
03-09-2021, 09:15 PM
I use Griot`s mitts, nanoskin products-towels, mitts, blocks.

All work well for me! Keep a bunch in different grades.

Coatings=crack
03-09-2021, 11:07 PM
I have used the griots clay (puck?). Worked well bit cars i used on were newer and polished afterwards.

I continue to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William_Wallace
03-09-2021, 11:19 PM
If you want a average synthetic clay pads,towels and disks I use Marflo normal 1/4 the price of everything else I use there king clay. It’s $10 or less for towel, pad,, mitt.

Sizzle Chest
03-10-2021, 07:47 PM
^^^Thanks for that info!

Fishing
03-10-2021, 08:07 PM
WOW thank you all for the great info,,, I have some research to do now :) I have never heard of Marflow before, thnx for letting me know about them.

William_Wallace
03-11-2021, 10:26 AM
WOW thank you all for the great info,,, I have some research to do now :) I have never heard of Marflow before, thnx for letting me know about them.

Sure. Its parent company is barillatech from China I have bought a lot of products from them over last 2 years and have had good experience with them. Marflo is good company the only product that I didn’t like was there pads they were too thick and made for old school rotary. The foam it’s self was great but thickness made them not work well on da’s.

If your looking for pads I use opti pad it’s a Swedish manufacturer maybe I’ll post a review on them. Very similar to lake country for 1/2 the price and they have whole range. I get them for around $5 foam or 6$ fiber or wool and like them alot

Accumulator
03-11-2021, 02:49 PM
I`d just do a chemical decontamination with ValuGard`s ABC like the major automakers recommend.

Fishing- IF you do go with those non-clay mechanical decontamination approaches, I sure hope you`re able to do it without instilling any marring.

Are any of those products approved for use on matte/flat finishes? IMO that`s a clue as to their marring potential.

Fishing
03-16-2021, 06:51 PM
Accumulator- Thank you for the good advice, I am going to try one but will proceed with caution.

Accumulator
03-18-2021, 12:18 PM
Fishing- Glad to hear you`re going into this the right way, fingers crossed that I`m just being Chicken Little and everything goes fine.

rand0m
03-18-2021, 01:23 PM
These products are pretty gentle. Even on soft black Japanese paint marring is minimal. Nothing a quick polish can’t correct. The valguard system looks interesting. How do you get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bill D
03-18-2021, 01:36 PM
You can get Valugard products by going to their site and ordering them by phone. I don`t remember the last time the online cart worked.