PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a fabric top clean between washings

bcgreen
11-20-2020, 09:31 AM
Would a California car duster work for keeping dust off the fabric convertible top? I am in AZ during the winter and there is a lot of dust flying around and would like to keep it looking good between washing.

Stokdgs
11-20-2020, 03:17 PM
Would a California car duster work for keeping dust off the fabric convertible top? I am in AZ during the winter and there is a lot of dust flying around and would like to keep it looking good between washing.

I think a Clean,New, CA Duster would help remove the light layer of dust that falls from the dust world above all our nicest vehicles, just fine..
They have some kind of paraffin on the fibers that is supposed to hold onto the dust as your gently wipe over the area, and then hold it forever..

Some of the newer tops seem to be made of a cloth product that wants to attract stuff and hold onto it, like when you wipe it off with a towel after washing it.
I once saw a Black Convertible Top on a Mini Cooper at the Art Show in Bellevue, WA., and it was covered with white lint on that new black top !! Looked awful !!

The people who owned that Mini were leaving after, and I asked them if they needed help removing all that lint, and got to Detail the Mini..:)
I had to wash it a couple of times, and then while it was still wet from rinsing, take my Mytee extractor with heated water, and extract the entire top, to get all that embedded lint out of it... It turned out beautiful ! They loved it ! It was new again !

Try it and see if it works for your needs..
Dan F

bcgreen
11-20-2020, 03:31 PM
This is a 13 Boxster, so its fabric. Will take a duster with me and give it a shot when we get to AZ.

John U
11-20-2020, 08:06 PM
Last spring I treated my C7 cloth top for the second time in 6 years with RaggTop. It too lives in AZ.

I never wet it. When I wash the car with a hose (2 or 3 times a yr) I keep the spray away from the top. I dry the car with a Groits PFM towel and when thru I use that wet towel to gently wipe over the top.

I use Optimum Rinseless wash and soak fluffy 16"x16" microfiber towels to remove the dust when needed. I prespray the surface with the rinseless wash and use Griots spray-on wax as a drying agent

Coatings=crack
11-21-2020, 01:43 AM
Last spring I treated my C7 cloth top for the second time in 6 years with RaggTop. It too lives in AZ.

I never wet it. When I wash the car with a hose (2 or 3 times a yr) I keep the spray away from the top. I dry the car with a Groits PFM towel and when thru I use that wet towel to gently wipe over the top.

I use Optimum Rinseless wash and soak fluffy 16"x16" microfiber towels to remove the dust when needed. I prespray the surface with the rinseless wash and use Griots spray-on wax as a drying agent

Kinda same thing. When i rinseless i’ll take a TRCEE and dunk it and ring it out pretty well. Will use a towel or two per top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John U
11-21-2020, 06:40 PM
Kinda same thing. When i rinseless i’ll take a TRCEE and dunk it and ring it out pretty well. Will use a towel or two per top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I’m using The Rag Co. Edgeless Eagles now on the body. I’ll give them a try as a roof “duster”.