PDA

View Full Version : how to remove wax

bassman
06-21-2020, 08:14 PM
hi, got a new car. Clayed, polished and waxed just the front and someone gave me some simonize glasscoat. I want to use it but I need to remove the wax I just put on. How can I remove it? Thank you for any info

acuRAS82
06-21-2020, 09:29 PM
hi, got a new car. Clayed, polished and waxed just the front and someone gave me some simonize glasscoat. I want to use it but I need to remove the wax I just put on. How can I remove it? Thank you for any info
Re-polish the front where the wax was put on. After polishing, it should feel squeaky clean and no longer slick (feel the wax before polishing to get an idea what the paint should no longer feel like).

Which polish do you have on hand?

bassman
06-21-2020, 10:08 PM
I have maguires.

acuRAS82
06-21-2020, 10:24 PM
I have maguires.
Ultimate Polish? M205? Either way, whatever you have should do.

Accumulator
06-22-2020, 11:17 AM
I`d remove it chemically so as to *not* subject the paint to any unnecessary abrasion, but I guess that`s easy for me to say since I have the chemicals.

bassman- Got a can of Mineral Spirits on hand? That`s what Ron Ketcham would say to reach for.

Lonnie
06-22-2020, 11:39 AM
OR go to a bodyshop/ paint supply store and get some Kleen-Strip Prep-Sol.

It would be highly advantageous for you do some type of panel prep before you apply this coating. I do not think iso-propyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol or IPA, as its acronym is seen here in this forum) is going to cut through the recently applied wax. A panel prep will also remove the Trade-Secret Oils (TSOs) used in Meguiar`s polishes as a lubricant and emollient for its abrasives that are left behind after polishing and may not be compatible and cause "blotching" with the coating you are applying,

I was under the impression that Simoniz Glasscoat was only available to car dealers as an add-on service, but like anything, I assume it can be purchased over the internet on E-bay or Amazon.

Accumulator
06-22-2020, 12:37 PM
OR go to a body paint supply store and get some Kleen-Strip Prep-Sol.

It would be highly advantageous for you do some type of panel prep before you apply this coating...

Yeah.

I do not think iso-propyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol or IPA, as its acronym is seen here in this forum) is going to cut through the recently applied wax...

When a certain RW messed with my Collinite, people suggested that IPA would *revive* the wax and solve the problem, not strip it as many would expect. Another Autopian challenged me to drop a piece of pastewax into a jar of IPA, insisted that it`d just sit there/stay OK, that the IPA wouldn`t dissolve it or otherwise be detrimental (I never tried that).

A panel prep will also remove the Trade-Secret Oils (TSOs) used in Meguiar`s polishes as a lubricant and emollient for its abrasives that are left behind after polishing and may not be compatible and cause "blotching" with the coating you are applying..

Sounds like more good reasons to go with a dedicated product, but of course I`d say that since it`s what I`d do ;)

skibik
06-23-2020, 09:12 PM
I was going to suggest GG paint prep I think it is called but I see it is not available anymore. I see now they have this https://www.autopia-carcare.com/griots-foaming-surface-prep.html and not sure how good this is. The prep was used after the wash with the vehicle still wet and it seemed to deep clean the paint and stripped anything that was on the paint.

acuRAS82
06-23-2020, 09:18 PM
+1 on the Prep-All. I can’t say whether it removes fresh wax completely, but it feels great while wiping (like slippery mineral spirits) and definitely will clean up any oils..

SF Space Grey
06-28-2020, 01:58 PM
I was looking for a good product for this purpose a couple months ago and settled on McKees 37 coating prep polish. Non-abrasive but seems to do a good job of stripping waxes and oils to leave a squeaky clean surface. Sometimes I follow up with some GTechniq Panel Wipe.

wannafbody
06-29-2020, 11:19 PM
Mothers makes CMX Ceramic cleaner that I saw at OReilley for about $15

acuRAS82
06-29-2020, 11:23 PM
I was looking for a good product for this purpose a couple months ago and settled on McKees 37 coating prep polish. Non-abrasive but seems to do a good job of stripping waxes and oils to leave a squeaky clean surface. Sometimes I follow up with some GTechniq Panel Wipe.
I do like Mckees Prep Polish. Solid and good price. It may not remove newer, strong LSPs (and not designed to remove coatings) by itself though, but should remove any traditional wax. Not sure which wax you used though.

nothingface5384
08-01-2020, 02:01 PM
Late to the party, but absolute sure method to chemically strip an LSP is a 3 part system
Acid, Alkaline, then solvent..

Reason being is every LSP has different chemical resistance.. I`ve tested some where only acid will strip..and tested some where only solvent would strip etc