PDA

View Full Version : Glazes, when to use?

ashsarna
07-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi all, believe it or not over the past several years of being an addict/weekend warrior I have never used a glaze. Now (for some reason) I want to see if I am missing something in my lineup.

This is what I would use the glaze with (after the paint prep is done):

AIO/Prime
sealant like EX/DG #105
carnauba topper (currently souveran/ victoria waxes/ zaino estate ital)

1)Would their be issues with the sealants?
2)which sealants have done well with glazes?
3) where in the process would glazes go?
4) and which glaze would you recommend?

Thanks again:D

EDIT: moderators please move if its in the wrong forum. Thxs.

Jen@autogeek
07-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Glazes can add depth and gloss to the paint and give it that little extra UMPH. That being said, as you already know if you are a detailer, labels can sometimes be confusing. The word glaze is thrown around alot, but not all products are created equal. There are glazes that have cleaners, some have abrasives and are more like a finishing polish, and some "pure" glazes only have oils and fillers to hide imperfections and amp up the gloss. Whichever glaze you choose, be sure to read the label carefully and see what the product claims it will do for you. If it is a "pure" glaze that just adds gloss and wetness, then you know that you cannot use it underneath a sealant, but you can use it on top after the sealant has cured before you wax. If the glaze has cleaners or abrasives, then you know you cannot use it on top as it probably will remove what you have underneath. A good rule of thumb is, if it contains oils then it should not go underneath a sealant. If it contains abrasives or cleaners then just be sure that the label says that it can be topped with a sealant before proceeding. Some sealant makers have their own glazes in their product line which can be used prior to sealing but again read the labels carefully. I hope this helps you and that you enjoy your foray into the world of glazes. I think you will find it rewarding. Take care. :)

ashsarna
07-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks!
Wow, looks like I got some investigating to do on which glaze to use. Initially I would want to get one with oils (over a sealant) than apply a wax. Any suggestions are very welcomed.

Beemerboy
07-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Hi all, believe it or not over the past several years of being an addict/weekend warrior I have never used a glaze. Now (for some reason) I want to see if I am missing something in my lineup.

This is what I would use the glaze with (after the paint prep is done):

AIO/Prime
sealant like EX/DG #105
carnauba topper (currently souveran/ victoria waxes/ zaino estate ital)

1)Would their be issues with the sealants?
2)which sealants have done well with glazes?
3) where in the process would glazes go?
4) and which glaze would you recommend?

Thanks again:D

EDIT: moderators please move if its in the wrong forum. Thxs.

I glaze all the time for that extra bling bling...the products that I use are

SWR
P-w-C
glaze
sealant
nattys

All the products that I use are PB with the exception of the glaze that`s by FK1 Finish Kare pink hand glaze...I`ve really been impressed with the results on all colors....the glaze is easy to use as long as you go panel by panel...I apply then waif a few minutes then mist the panel with QD and clean up

ashsarna
07-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Beemerboy,
I got to try that FK pink (hmmm... never even considered it), would you have a product # or something?

How is the S-w-C? I wanted, but never tried it as I thought the carnauba content would compromise the sealant topper.

Beemerboy
07-25-2006, 01:25 PM
You will find it here

http://www.fk1usa.com/products-consumer.htm
Beemerboy,
I got to try that FK pink (hmmm... never even considered it), would you have a product # or something?

How is the S-w-C? I wanted, but never tried it as I thought the carnauba content would compromise the sealant topper.

dr_detail
07-25-2006, 03:57 PM
For me, if it`s a picture, or "trailer/garage queen" vehicle, or it`s a vehicle that`s going to be displayed at an indoor show, glaze seems to be the most desirable results (like megs#7 or 3M`s-IHG). If it`s going to be displayed outside, or for a daily driver, a canned wax or a poly-blended cream seams to hold up better (like Mothers Cal-Gold-paste or AutoMagic`s BC-2).