PDA

View Full Version : The missing piece?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mooser
04-16-2020, 08:09 AM
So how much better will my detailing get if I order 2 (or should I go whole hog and get 3) yeti buckets? Probably need the lids as well to keep everything clean....
M

TroyScherer
04-16-2020, 08:38 AM
I would go with 3 buckets.

But I think you need to color code them and also make custom labels for them as well.

Charcoal - Wheels
Sea Foam / White - Soap
Tan - Dirty Rinse

Accumulator
04-16-2020, 11:09 AM
Different people are gonna have some *very* different takes on this, and IMO whatever works *for you* is the right approach. What works *for me* might be completely inappropriate, but here goes anyhow:

Mooser- Noting that for some things I want *rectangular* buckets... and that I do indeed subscribe to the "more is better" approach with regards to wash/rinse buckets in general (you wouldn`t believe...), I wonder... what`s appealing about those and how`re you coming up with the number required?

Let`s see...Wash, Rinse, and...what else are you thinking?

I myself would want a minimum of five (I`m leaving out ones for the undercarriage and redundant ones for each side of the washbay), namely:

-Wash
-Rinse
-Wheels/etc. Wash
-Wheels/etc. Rinse
-Tires

I imagine many would use the same bucket for the Tires as they do for the Wheels, so OK...maybe make that 4 total instead.

Those would require Bucket Dollies and IMO at least some of them should have some kind of "contamination control" like Cyclones/GritGuards/etc. The only ones for which I`d consider lids are the main Wash bucket and *maybe* the Wheels/etc. Wash one.

If going with round buckets I`d absolutely color-code them (I use spring clamps on the bucket rims for my rectangular Rinse buckets as I have a few yellow ones, but have a red one for my IUDJ) rather than labels so it`s easier to differentiate at a glance.

Tc99m
04-16-2020, 11:45 AM
I myself would want a minimum of five (I`m leaving out ones for the undercarriage and redundant ones for each side of the washbay), namely:

I don`t know. At $40 dollars a bucket. 5 might get a little extreme even for Autopians.

Don`t forget the lids for just $29.99

Accumulator
04-16-2020, 12:14 PM
I don`t know. At $40 dollars a bucket. 5 might get a little extreme even for Autopians.

Don`t forget the lids for just $29.99
That`s one reason why I`d rethink getting the Yetis. I got a scad of good, color-coded ones from US Plastics at a decent price. Adding Bucket Dollies and, if desired, the connector-plates to tie Wash/Rinse buckets together, and the GritGuards/etc. and and and...it sure *can* get pricey! Fortunately, if you get it right the first time (yeah, sure :o ) you oughta be set for a long time as buckets sure don`t wear out very fast (just finally killed my very first bucket from the mid-`70s, and that was partially just user-error).

Heh heh, though I`ve learned to never underestimate what my fellow Autopians might be willing to spend on Detailing stuff!

Billy Baldone
04-16-2020, 12:15 PM
I have 3 buckets from Menard`s that were $15.00 total
1.Soap and 10 wash mitts
2. Empty for used wash mitts
3.Wheels/tires
No need to over do it on buckets

Accumulator
04-16-2020, 12:23 PM
I have 3 buckets from Menard`s that were $15.00 total
1.Soap and 10 wash mitts
2. Empty for used wash mitts
3.Wheels/tires

Just FWIW, I use (cheap) plastic laundry baskets for the used stuff. Easy to toss `em in those without having to be too careful about it. I like one color for cotton and another for MF, but that`s just me.

No need to over do it on bucketsHeh heh, my ears oughta be burnin` over that one..you really wouldn`t *believe* how many I ended up finding right for Yours Truly :o But again, that`s just what works for me, and I sure spent long enough figuring that out.

Oneheadlite
04-16-2020, 12:27 PM
What`s the selling point on the Yetis? This is the first I`ve heard of them.

Tc99m
04-16-2020, 12:42 PM

Good question.

Copied and pasted from Yeti Website:

"The unsung hero of hard work deserved a little attention. Our ultra-durable LoadOut™ bucket is designed for lugging, loading, hauling, and baling. Whether you’re at the ranch, on the boat or in the garage, our 5-gallon bucket is nearly indestructible and ready to work. But don`t depend on it for keeping ice cold, it has other jobs to do.

Please note: This product is not a cooler."

Looks like it is just a bucket. I assume for those who __________________. You all can feel in the blank.

John U
04-16-2020, 12:43 PM
At a Mecum Auction, Kendall had a booth set up. I traded my email for a beautiful bucket and hat!

John U
04-16-2020, 12:47 PM
$39.99 for a 5 gallon Yeti. MAP pricing so no discounts allowed.

Stokdgs
04-16-2020, 01:54 PM

I`m thinking... imported from Mt. Everest ???
Dan F

Mooser
04-16-2020, 03:33 PM
I typically use 3, two for wash/rinse and one for wheels

Hopefully everyone realizes I was just poking fun at the $40 buckets with the $30 lids right? Closest thing I`ve got to a "fancy" bucket is a couple from the Adams tent when I bought some stuff at Carlisle a few years back, every thing else comes from the Canadian Tire store at $3.99 with lid :)
M

DetailZeus
04-16-2020, 03:54 PM
Usually Wash/Rinse/Wheels for me but I`ve been playing around washing with a bucket of microfibers. Then the rinse bucket becomes the "discard" bucket. Not sure if I`m sold, the shampoo-soaked microfiber is a little clumsy, more so than than in a rinseless wash. I think I would like it better using multiple mitts.

Truthfully though I try to do such a thorough job pressure washing the car before I touch it that my rinse bucket has very little dirt and my shampoo bucket is essentially clean. Ironically my wheel bucket always gets filthy yet I just use one bucket, go figure.

Swanicyouth
04-16-2020, 05:19 PM
Here’s the thing. I don’t even know what a Yeti bucket is, but how much you spend has very little to do with how good your car comes out. Especially today, when you can buy Turtle Wax stuff for cheap that is better than much of high dollar so called boutique stuff.

But, some people just like fancy stuff - and I get that appeal as well.