PDA

View Full Version : Pads and backing plate

pgp
02-11-2020, 05:41 PM
I have some 4" pads, can I use these with a 3" backing plate on a drill ?

Stokdgs
02-11-2020, 08:02 PM
You are going to have a little over 1/2" overlap of 4" pad all around that 3" backing plate that will be unsupported by the smaller size backing plate..
I would never do this..
You can try to see how this works, but it is not the correct/preferred size backing plate for 4" pads..
Dan F

Accumulator
02-12-2020, 12:20 PM
pgp- I`ve tried that with a few units (different polishers/plates/pads) and it never worked out satisfactorily. The overlap was simply too much and it always severely impacted the performance.

Out of curiosity, have you tried polishing paint with the drill attachment? I`ve only used such a setup to do very rough sanding, and/but oh man I`d never try to polish a car that way.

pgp
02-13-2020, 05:06 PM
Thanks, I thought it might be a poor idea. I don`t have much experience with it.

WaxAddict
02-13-2020, 06:18 PM
... I don`t have much experience with it.

Oooosh my god, then don`t. The drill has none of the safety measures that a dual-action polisher has. You can go through the clear on corners with that thing. Don`t even put a 3" pad on a 3" drill backing plate if you have no experience. Or at least practice on your spouce`s car first (says the divorced man).