PDA

View Full Version : A new twist on torture testing

Don
11-11-2019, 01:45 PM
A different and interesting torture test on TW Ceramic Polish & Wax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3WpC_wlSUc&t=1s

Accumulator
11-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Don- That was a lot more interesting to me than I`d expected, thanks for posting it. The part that got *my* attention was the Brake Fluid...

BudgetPlan1
11-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Good deal, far more appropriate than APC. Pondered this type of stuff as I was getting gas this weekend and trying to avoid getting it on side of car when removing hose from fuel filler.

tom p.
11-11-2019, 02:41 PM
Don, is that product sort of a "one-step"?

Don
11-11-2019, 02:53 PM
Don, is that product sort of a "one-step"?

Yes, it is a one step, or it can be used as a base layer for the Spray coating ... AFTER a 24 hour cure period.

Here is a vid of a neglected Porsche showing a 50-50 of the engine cover ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agn9WHu3f80

Accumulator
11-11-2019, 03:27 PM
Pondered this type of stuff as I was getting gas this weekend and trying to avoid getting it on side of car when removing hose from fuel filler.

I wonder whether Gasoline spills have ever actually been a problem for anybody. I`ve gotten gas on vehicles countless times (sometimes quite dramatically) and it never dented my LSPs that I can recall.

Don
11-11-2019, 04:05 PM
I wonder whether Gasoline spills have ever actually been a problem for anybody. I`ve gotten gas on vehicles countless times (sometimes quite dramatically) and it never dented my LSPs that I can recall.

I get a few drops on the car once in a while, but never all that much. As far as the video goes, he was using some pretty strong solutions of stuff, far stronger (I think) than anything splashed up on a vehicle from wet roads, before the gasoline spray.

BudgetPlan1
11-11-2019, 06:06 PM
I wonder whether Gasoline spills have ever actually been a problem for anybody. I`ve gotten gas on vehicles countless times (sometimes quite dramatically) and it never dented my LSPs that I can recall.Pump poured gas all over side of car last week, doesn`t seem to have affected it. Still irritating though.

Astouffer512
11-11-2019, 07:29 PM

Do you think it mattered that the gas torture test was last though? With everything else he threw at the panel I don’t know if the order or what was last would have made a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accumulator
11-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Do you think it mattered that the gas torture test was last though? With everything else he threw at the panel I don’t know if the order or what was last would have made a difference?

Yeah, I figured it was already compromised and that just finished it off.

BUT#1...I`d forgotten how gas utterly trashed the paint around the fuel filler doors (yes, "doors" plural ;) ) on my dad`s XJ6, that must`ve gone through the LSP all right! But eh...Jag lacquer was really fragile back then.

BUT#2...Gas spills have left a residue on mine, not like it just rinsed off.

BUT#3..."Gas" is, or can be, different these days. Ethanol, what %, cleaners...it might be risky to extrapolate from my past good fortune.

Anyhow, this stuff could be simply great for people looking for a good one-step, and I`m glad to see TW bringing such products to the normal-person-consumer (i.e., not just Detailing nuts) market.

EDIT: ya know, I`m kinda glad the solvents/stuff they tested with did finally kill it. I was wondering whether it`d take abrasion to get it off and how that could factor into things like repaints.

Ron Ketcham
11-12-2019, 01:32 PM
Two, small percentage of very active solvents in gasoline---benzene and toulene. Paint manufacturers test for reasonable resistance to all hydrocarbon solvents found in gas.

Accumulator
11-13-2019, 12:21 PM
Two, small percentage of very active solvents in gasoline---benzene and toulene. Paint manufacturers test for reasonable resistance to all hydrocarbon solvents found in gas.

Any idea how long those have been in pump gas? I mean...that`s some potent stuff even in trace amounts and I`d expect it to compromise LSPs in no time.