PDA

View Full Version : De-Icer sprays

Astouffer512
11-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Pigging backing off PAdetailers thread on winter windshield washer fluid....what de-icer does everyone recommend?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Desertnate
11-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Are you talking about in the washer reservoir of the car? If so, I simply use an inexpensive washer fluid with a low freezing point. Around here you can typically find three "grades" of fluid with steadily lower freezing points, i.e. 0F, -20F, and -40F.

Astouffer512
11-04-2019, 04:50 PM
Are you talking about in the washer reservoir of the car? If so, I simply use an inexpensive washer fluid with a low freezing point. Around here you can typically find three "grades" of fluid with steadily lower freezing points, i.e. 0F, -20F, and -40F.

No. Not the washer fluid but rather the sprays that are sold that you can “treat” your windshield / windows the night before a frost. Or eve just spray on in the morning to help melt the ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooser
11-04-2019, 08:10 PM
I`ve been using nextzett (1z Einszett whatever they`re called this week...) de-icer spray along with their anti-front WW fluid. Works well, especially if you keep it in the house instead of the car (where it`s minus whatever temp already) but not nearly as handy as in the car)
Only thing I`ve found is you can easily go through a lot of it if you start using it to remove ice rather than just frost (I hate scraping...)

They are the only ones I found that actually say

Will not harm enameled paints, chrome, rubber or glass. Free of toxic methanol found in more common brands. Silicone-free. Suitable for plastic headlight lenses.
Won`t harm paint, chrome or rubber trim
Doesn`t contain toxic methanol

and for the WW fluid

Guaranteed not to damage paint, glass or rubber. Suitable for plastic headlight lenses.

Wish it was cheaper, dilution ratio is ok but it gets pretty damn cold up here and I`m better than 1:1 to keep it from freezing in the rubber lines going up to the hood
M