PDA

View Full Version : McKee’s anti frost washer fluid.

PA DETAILER
11-02-2019, 03:52 PM
https://www.autopia-carcare.com/mckees-anti-frost.html#.Xb3rcW5Fxjo

With PA winter approaching, what is the deal with this product? It is any good? I looked at it in the past and was curious about it. And what is the dilution ratio? Better picking up the gallon?

Thanks.

GearHead_1
11-02-2019, 05:49 PM
Wondering what the recommended concentration mix is?

PA DETAILER
11-02-2019, 06:21 PM
From Nicks video, looks like a few ounces per gallon.

SGM2008
11-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Wondering what the recommended concentration mix is?

From the McKee`s 37 website ... "Simply add a quart of this concentrated cleaner to your existing windshield washer fluid and you’ll be ready for a longer winter ahead."

acuRAS82
11-02-2019, 10:01 PM
From the McKee`s 37 website ... "Simply add a quart of this concentrated cleaner to your existing windshield washer fluid and you’ll be ready for a longer winter ahead."
Yes, it’s a lot. So you basically get 4 vehicles worth out of a gallon. It’s pretty steep, it works well. These are my observations, haven’t decided if I will purchase again after this winter, when my gallon will be gone.

One thing I don’t know is how this and other windshield washer solutions impact window sealants and coatings. I would like to hope Mckees is gentler since it’s from a detailing company, and if so then the price is worth it to me. I do know that my Acura didn’t have Mckees in it last year and when I spray whatever old blue stuff was in there, I can see it leave marks where it hits the windshield. This gives me the impression that the over the counter stuff is harsh.

Also Mckees adds it’s own protection which probably aids windows with sealant but may take away the improved beading from windows with coatings.

The whole subject is something I’ve never wrapped my head around and I don’t know what’s right and what’s not for my windows that have sealant in summer and coating in winter.

Astouffer512
11-03-2019, 06:38 AM
With being new to the forms I keep looking at all these products from the detailing companies and wondering if the inter windshield washer fluids are worth the money. I keep wanting to start a thread and ask, but I see one has been started so I’m in to see opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SGM2008
11-03-2019, 07:19 AM
With being new to the forms I keep looking at all these products from the detailing companies and wondering if the inter windshield washer fluids are worth the money.

When I lived in the Northeast, I found Rain-X De-Icer to be more than adequate. At $3.00/gallon, you can’t beat the value, and I never felt the need to go for any of these additives.

Now that I’ve moved to South Carolina, there’s no longer a need for a winter blend windshield wash.

PA DETAILER
11-03-2019, 09:46 AM
I have read the ORANGE Rain -X washer fluid has damaged many sensors (Low washer fluid light) in some makes of vehicles. Good read...

Washer Solvent Warning Light Sensors and Rain X Deicer ? Atlantic Motorcar (http://casestudies.atlanticmotorcar.com/audi-q7-washer-solvent-warning-light-sensors-and-rain-x-deicer/)

Accumulator
11-03-2019, 12:48 PM
I`d assume the McKees is safe for, well...everything, but that`s more than you can say for whatever the original owner of my `93 Audi used..utterly *TRASHED* the paint around the washer nozzles..like, needs repainted to look OK, all faded and cracked.

I guess you pick your battles and I oughta just be glad I don`t have to commute all the time any more, but I`d be wondering what De-Icers/etc. will do to the LSP/etc. on the rest of the vehicle. Years ago, the P21s booster was about the only one on the market, and while it worked OK, it sure stripped LSP. So did the "Intensive Washer Fluid" that Porsches/Audis used to have in a separate reservoir (maybe that explains the `93).

Anybody else here have the Headlight Washers disabled to keep the fluid off the paint? Yeah, I did need them ~30 years ago, but now I`ll just stay home ;)

GearHead_1
11-03-2019, 04:19 PM
Not to detract from the thread here but thought some might find this amusing. I stopped into the local Cal-Ranch hardware store to pick up some 9mm cartridges last Friday. While exiting the store I noticed a young man (perhaps 25) working on what I assume was his car. He looked like a grease monkey and I briefly felt a little kinship.

As a fan of Mustangs, I noticed the aftermarket valve covers, aftermarket intake manifold and headers. I assumed that he likely had spent some time wrenching on this car. I thought he must know a bit about cars. As I walked on I noticed that he was putting Trailer/Marine anti-freeze in the window washer tank of his Fox Body. He looked up and kind of gave me that mind your own business look.

The thought that went through my mind was that he must have a reason, though it was beyond my comprehension. There was certainly a time when I’d have stopped to help/educate him. As time has passed, I’ve learned to limit my battles to the ones where I feel that I can make a difference. This just didn’t feel like one of those times. I just kept walking.

William_Wallace
11-03-2019, 05:16 PM
I mix in megs glass cleaner concentrate in winter it seems to help anywhere from 2-4 oz

Astouffer512
11-03-2019, 07:06 PM
I mix in megs glass cleaner concentrate in winter it seems to help anywhere from 2-4 oz

You mix Meg’s and the McKee’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accumulator
11-04-2019, 12:06 PM
GearHead1- IMO it was, sad to say, smart to just keep walking and not offer unsolicited advice. Easier to save those 9s for the one-way range that way ;)

Desertnate
11-04-2019, 01:29 PM
I have read the ORANGE Rain -X washer fluid has damaged many sensors (Low washer fluid light) in some makes of vehicles. Good read...

Washer Solvent Warning Light Sensors and Rain X Deicer ? Atlantic Motorcar (http://casestudies.atlanticmotorcar.com/audi-q7-washer-solvent-warning-light-sensors-and-rain-x-deicer/)

Probably due to use of the same parts, that stuff caused a lot of problems for GTI owners too. I remember a long thread over at GolfMk6 of people who had to have sensors cleaner or replaced and the washer tanks removed and drained because of the gunk it left behind.

When I lived in the Northeast, I found Rain-X De-Icer to be more than adequate. At $3.00/gallon, you can’t beat the value, and I never felt the need to go for any of these additives.

I`ve lived in areas with cold weather for a very long time, and I too have never found a need for additives in the washer fluid. Part store and places like Walmart will sell washer fluid with several levels of freezing points. I typically go with the mid-level one with a freezing point of around -20 since we`ll likely never see ambient temps that low. Those work really well on winter road grime, don`t foul sensors, and a gallon jug is less than $5. A win all around in my book.