PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Clear Coat Restorer

bcgreen
10-25-2019, 09:30 PM
Saw a vid. on this product and it reminds me of the original Opti-Coat with the only difference being that you use a lot of product vs a few drops.

The Guz
10-25-2019, 09:56 PM
From working with it, it is nowhere near the application of their coatings. No comparison between it and Gloss Coat.

CCR takes some practice to get it to work right.

Setec Astronomy
10-26-2019, 11:59 AM
Hey Guz, what kind of PPE did you use when working with this? Inside or outside?

The Guz
10-26-2019, 07:19 PM
Gloves, safety glasses and a mask. No way I would do this outside. Too much dust floating around.

Setec Astronomy
10-26-2019, 09:01 PM
By "mask" you mean an organic vapor respirator?

The Guz
10-26-2019, 09:54 PM
Any mask or respirator will be fine.

Setec Astronomy
10-27-2019, 06:55 AM
Respectfully, a dust/mist mask will not provide protection against the "car paint" solvents that are likely in this product. It`s unclear to me whether there is a respiratory exposure risk to isocyanates if you are not spraying, but I would use a respirator with organic vapor cartridges as Optimum shows in their videos for this product, particularly since AFAIK they haven`t released an MSDS for this product yet.

The Guz
10-27-2019, 12:00 PM
Most who decide to buy it will use it one time and will wind up using it for smaller areas, so any mask/respirator will do. Sure some are better than others.

Setec Astronomy
10-27-2019, 12:37 PM
Most who decide to buy it will use it one time and will wind up using it for smaller areas, so any mask/respirator will do. Sure some are better than others.

I can`t say I agree with your logic. Isocyanates are sensitizers so any exposure should be avoided. You`re welcome to do as you please, but I`ll stand by my previous recommendation for others reading this thread. Also nitrile gloves should be used rather than latex as latex is permeable to isocyanates.

There`s plenty of literature out there, here`s a short one from Yale: https://medicine.yale.edu/intmed/prep/worker/hazards/isocyanates/

The Guz
10-27-2019, 01:14 PM
I can`t say I agree with your logic. Isocyanates are sensitizers so any exposure should be avoided. You`re welcome to do as you please, but I`ll stand by my previous recommendation for others reading this thread. Also nitrile gloves should be used rather than latex as latex is permeable to isocyanates.

There`s plenty of literature out there, here`s a short one from Yale: https://medicine.yale.edu/intmed/prep/worker/hazards/isocyanates/

You are making the assumption that you know the chemical make up of the product. Nobody knows other than Dr. G and probably Yvan who has since announced his retirement.

Anyway Yvan covers all you need in various videos. So look at those if you ever buy the product and use it.

Setec Astronomy
10-27-2019, 04:42 PM
You are making the assumption that you know the chemical make up of the product. Nobody knows other than Dr. G and probably Yvan who has since announced his retirement.

I was pretty sure I asked or someone asked that question (about isocyanates), but maybe I made an assumption due to the exothermic reaction. I just checked again and according to the Optimum forum moderator, there is no SDS available, which is pretty remarkable since this product is being sold into shops with RTK requirements.

Anyway Yvan covers all you need in various videos. So look at those if you ever buy the product and use it.

Yes, and he clearly is wearing a respirator with cartridges vs. a dust/mist mask.

DaveT435
07-13-2020, 06:47 PM
Hey Mike,
I have a customer with trashed clear coat on half her car. It sounds like isn’t something you want to use on a large project the first time, is that your opinion? Also sine you are using a lot of product have you heard of anyone spraying this product?

William_Wallace
07-13-2020, 10:17 PM
I used it on refinished wheels large 22s that were swirled and I hit it with wool then applied a couple coats then wheel coating over 12 months ago. All is good and holding up

The Guz
07-21-2020, 12:01 AM
Hey Mike,
I have a customer with trashed clear coat on half her car. It sounds like isn’t something you want to use on a large project the first time, is that your opinion? Also sine you are using a lot of product have you heard of anyone spraying this product?

Hey Dave. If it is on the verge of clear coat failure this won`t help. It won`t stop the clear coat failure from continuing to fail. I used it on a full car. It can be a bit tricky to use and wiping it on with the pearl weave towel. I have not heard of anyone spraying it.