PDA

View Full Version : Another Coating Question, I can`t find that it has been asked before.

TheMeanGreen
04-03-2019, 10:12 PM
I have a questions for those that use coatings quite frequently. Have you guys covered a vehicle, with that painters plastic stuff, immediately after coating?
Let`s say that the coating was applied inside an automotive service shop and it needed to be protected from water droplets, would *plastic wrapping* the car immediately after coating affect the initial cure?
Would *plastic wrapping* the car for an initial period of time, and then uncovering for the rest of the cure time affect overall curing?
Would there be any chance that due to the *tackyness* of the coating after application cause the *plastic wrap* to adhere to the coating?

SWETM
04-04-2019, 05:00 AM
This is just how I think about it. Think of a ceramic coating like a paint. You have the cure time until you have dry to touch aka before getting it wet. Then you have the outgasing depending on the paint and process but untreated 30-90 days aka the 1 week for most coatings until it`s washeble. Even if it`s a coating that is solvent free I still think that the carriers should evaporate fully.

So for short while covered may be okay. But if stored before the first week. I think it could be a problem with something like longevity from it.

Mike lambert
04-04-2019, 06:41 AM
I would agree with that also, this is why I don’t think you should do coatings outside.

wannafbody
04-04-2019, 07:53 AM
In the case of paint, if you cover it the gasses could get trapped in the paint and cause issues, depending on the type of cover. That`s why breathable covers are a must. Anything that traps moisture underneath it can cause issues.

Lonnie
04-04-2019, 07:54 AM
It`s also the reason some of the hi-end coatings REQUIRE the use of infra-red lamps/heaters to properly cure those coatings; something I do not think that most hobbyist or weekend warrior detailers have in their detailing equipment arsenal. While I am not trying to bust anyone`s bubble about using or applying coatings, the caveat here is: some things are better left to the professional who have the facilities, equipment, products, and experience using and applying coatings (OK, at least the hi-end ones, anyway!).

I do not know what you would use as "breathable cover", short of a large sheet of Gore-Tex® or similar fabric.