PDA

View Full Version : The most important factor when choosing a car

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

m54daboll
03-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Just wanted to have a discussion on what you all think is the most important factor you take into account when choosing to buy a new car. I just recently got my newest car (1 month ago) and being back in the market for a car made me think about all the different things people consider when buying a car: Price, fuel economy, performance, options, financing rates, brand value, etc. Personally, I have three big things that I look for when buying a new car (or a new to me car):

-Fun to drive--for me this means the car likes curves. I don`t have to be fast in a straight line, but you can bet your butt she`ll be fast in the corners
-Manual transmission--Yes, DC automatic transmissions are faster on the track and give better lap times, but there`s just something about being connected to the car and driving a MT
-Parts available for the car--I don`t keep my cars stock for very long, so this is an important consideration for me when choosing a new car

For context, I am an immature 21 year old kid who`s nuts about cars. So when choosing a new car or new project car I don`t really have practicality or fuel economy or safety in the top of my mind. I`m curious to see what you all think is the most important factor when choosing a new car (or new to you car). What factor made you say "Yup, this is the one". Could be anything! Share away!

wannafbody
03-03-2019, 09:26 PM
Engine, color, price

Bill D
03-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Style,color, price

rlmccarty2000
03-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Driving fun, style, cost to own

m54daboll
03-04-2019, 12:19 AM
Driving fun, style, cost to own

Cost to own is a good one, forgot about that!

m54daboll
03-04-2019, 12:20 AM
Style,color, price

Interesting, so in theory you would not buy a car simply because of the color that you see on the lot?

Coatings=crack
03-04-2019, 12:29 AM
Just wanted to have a discussion on what you all think is the most important factor you take into account when choosing to buy a new car. I just recently got my newest car (1 month ago) and being back in the market for a car made me think about all the different things people consider when buying a car: Price, fuel economy, performance, options, financing rates, brand value, etc. Personally, I have three big things that I look for when buying a new car (or a new to me car):

-Fun to drive--for me this means the car likes curves. I don`t have to be fast in a straight line, but you can bet your butt she`ll be fast in the corners
-Manual transmission--Yes, DC automatic transmissions are faster on the track and give better lap times, but there`s just something about being connected to the car and driving a MT
-Parts available for the car--I don`t keep my cars stock for very long, so this is an important consideration for me when choosing a new car

For context, I am an immature 21 year old kid who`s nuts about cars. So when choosing a new car or new project car I don`t really have practicality or fuel economy or safety in the top of my mind. I`m curious to see what you all think is the most important factor when choosing a new car (or new to you car). What factor made you say "Yup, this is the one". Could be anything! Share away!

What you get? Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coatings=crack
03-04-2019, 12:30 AM
Engine 300-350 minimum, looks, how it handles.

SWETM
03-04-2019, 01:19 AM
Comfort Economy The size that suits me.

MattPersman
03-04-2019, 06:18 AM
Practicality, price (value), brand

Everyone thinks I would drive a diesel pickup truck, because I work on them for a living. My answer is typically I don’t have a construction company, a ranch/farm, or hauling a large heavy trailer daily, etc what would I possibly need one for

I’m in my 40s so practicality goes a long way, try to find a car that fits the point in our lives currently

So obviously a single 20 something car nut is gonna have a different realistic need and want than a married 40 something family man

Sure we may both desire having the newest 911 but typically the 20 year old can’t afford it yet and the 40 year old has no use or time for it

MattPersman
03-04-2019, 06:22 AM
I forgot to add I’m a car guy, been for many moons. I think about cars quite often, there are so many good cars and by good I mean good for different applications. You give up this or that for one or the other. It’s darn near a compromise each and every car when you are in the normal person car life

And there are also cars that I wonder frequently (why or how would anyone buy this or that)

someidiot
03-04-2019, 07:38 AM
Interesting, so in theory you would not buy a car simply because of the color that you see on the lot?
I absolutely won`t buy a color I don`t want. I might have a couple colors in mind, though, and would be willing to move from my first choice to my second if it has the features I want or it`s at a better price.

Hard to say really what factors I look for. For my last car it was overall size (I needed a 3-row SUV), then cost, features, reliability, color.

Bill D
03-04-2019, 08:33 AM

I would order the color I want if it’s not on the lot

Accumulator
03-04-2019, 12:00 PM
Primary criteria are:
-Right tool for the job (which includes driving characteristics)
-Appeal (build-quality, styling)
-Easy for me to live with (ease of Detailing, competent service)
-Lack of undefeatable "safety features", connectivity, and tracking of location/use
-Within (cash) budget to buy and maintain

I would order the color I want if it’s not on the lot
If I were buying a new car, I`d order it anyhow if only to ensure that nobody [messes] with it before delivery. And I would continue to refuse vehicles that somehow show up with unacceptable-to-me issues.

I wouldn`t buy any vehicle that had any characteristics that genuinely displeased me and I set the Displeasure Bar quite low, wouldn`t own most vehicles if they were given to me, including lots of `em that others love/lust after.

rlmccarty2000
03-04-2019, 12:04 PM
Comfort Economy The size that suits me.

This is definitely a European answer. Economy and size are probably two things Americans put low on their lists. Size is only as in bigger is better (i.e. pickup trucks). I rarely see a pickup or SUV with more than one occupant also. And with gas around $2 a gallon economy is a non factor. I drive a BMW diesel so mileage was a factor but it had more to do with getting 500 miles between fill ups than actual fuel economy. Americans missed the boat on diesel cars.