PDA

View Full Version : Please Tell Me How to Remove Butyl Sealant From Cloth

techdude99
01-29-2019, 01:02 AM
A few years ago, a strip of Butyl sealant became embedded in the surface of the bottom cushion of my 20 year old Nissan cloth driver`s seat. I was able to remove most of it above the fabric, but there`s a 6" strip that`s ground into the fabric. It`s time to sell the car and I`m looking for professional advice on removal methods that would save the fabric.

Thank you.

MattPersman
01-29-2019, 06:21 AM
You are talking the black gummy strip type of butyl right ? If it’s been a few years it will probably be pretty tough to remove all. I use acrysol which is a solvent body prep product typically on a white rag. Even when new it can take many passes to get it clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike lambert
01-29-2019, 10:24 AM
3M adhesive remover may work

techdude99
01-29-2019, 11:22 PM
What`s the best way to apply so the chemicals don`t fade the fabric color?

Wouldn`t the rag be too imprecise?

Thanks!

Stokdgs
01-30-2019, 01:32 AM
On anything that has solvents, I always start with a pointed Q-tip and find a place where it hopefully wont show if something goes bad, and just - touch - a spot, and carefully blot it off and see what shows up on the white cotton towel and the white Q-tip..
I only use white towels so I can actually the - color - of what came off on it..

Here is a link to the Q-tips I refer to -- https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/q-tips-cotton-swabs-precision-tip/ID=prod6092896-product?ext=gooKBM_PLA_-_Personal_Care&pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku60
You can probably find them anywhere - Walmart, Target, perhaps even your grocery store.. I found mine at Target, years ago..
Dan F

Accumulator
01-30-2019, 12:54 PM
IME, Q-Tips are indeed superior to other OTC cotton swabs, need to keep an eye out for those Precision Tip ones. (gee, those are kinda pricey, even for Walgreens).

techdude99- Welcome to Autopia!

I too would be trying the 3M Adhesive Remover on a white/light-colored cloth (probably MF) and first try it on an inconspicuous test-spot to check for colorfastness, although I wouldn`t expect any problems like that. I would expect it to need quite an extended dwell-time, especially since the stuff has been on there for a while.

It`s getting hard to find the non-aerosol version of the 3M Adhesive Remover (I suspect the VOC regulations are to blame), but IMO it`s a product that belongs in any household, not just Detailing Shops.

techdude99
01-30-2019, 01:31 PM
This is an awesome site!

Thanks for the suggestions and I`ll give them a try this weekend.

Would there be any benefit to warm up the butyl with a heat gun first, keep it a room temperature, or remove while cold?

Accumulator
01-30-2019, 01:47 PM
techdude99- Noting that *I don`t really know*, I`d think that a bit of heat would be beneficial. The solvents are gonna liquefy/emulsify the stuff anyhow so I don`t think that softening via heat would cause problems. BUT I DON`T REALLY KNOW.

If it were mine, after that test-spot ;) I`d try a small area at the stuff`s periphery *without* heat and see what happens, make further decisions then.

The problem, of course, is that softening/liquefying/etc. the stuff will get it even further down in the fabric to where it`ll never come out.