PDA

View Full Version : Controversy regarding dyeing vinyl another colour

bcgreen
01-25-2019, 10:51 AM
Is it possible to dye black vinyl to cinnamon? My vehicle interior is black and I want to dye back to cinnamon. Someone said: "you cannot dye vinyl "cinnamon" and expect it to look like anything other than crap (literally). If you must have a cinnamon interior, the only reasonable way is for you to source all necessary original or repro parts, source a "cinnamon" vinyl you like, and (unless you are very experienced or are looking for an amateurish outcome) hire a professional interior restorer do the work. Again, figure $12,000 plus the cost of parts and materials."

Dan
01-25-2019, 11:23 AM
I don`t think there is such a thing as vinyl dye. It is really paint. And it has a very bad history of being durable.

Accumulator
01-25-2019, 03:15 PM
I`ve NEVER had it really last long-term unless the piece was *really* pampered and have never seen it last IRL either although people say it works for them. Even some factory stuff doesn`t last, the yellowish plastic shows through if you get too aggressive.

Had to edit this to add the " unless the piece was *really* pampered" because I did have a recolored A-pillar gauge-pod equipped piece hold up OK in the last Crown Vic.

RaskyR1
01-25-2019, 05:39 PM
I`d have to agree with the others above based on what I`ve seen over the years. IMO it`s mainly used by used car dealers as a cheap fix to make it good enough to get it down the road.

I`m sure it can be done by someone skilled in the trade and obviously prep will be key.

You`d probably be better off finding one in a savage yard, assuming it came in that color from the factory.